100mm filters

Russ

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 10:43
Looking to perhaps change my main lens to the 17-70 and also add a Sigma 10-20. Will this require an upgrade of filters from my current Cokin P size filters?

I cannot afford the Lee system, so it will be a mixture of Chinese copy holders and adapter rings plus Cokin Z Pro or Hitech filters. Has anyone used the Chinese copies from Ebay? It's 13 for the holder and 77mm ring.

Steep

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 11:39
From memory the Cokin P filters are fine on the 10-20mm though I'd go for the slim/wide angle holder if you don't already have one.

Russ

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 12:04
Phew that's a relief, didn't fancy starting the filter collection from scratch. I haven't got a slim holder at the moment but will do soon.

Many thanks, you've made my day.

MattMatic

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 12:41
I can just get away with a P sized slim filter on the DA12-24 with perhaps a little vignetting on the corners. (It actually vignettes on the inside rim of my hacked down holder more than the filter itself)

Not sure you'll get to 10mm

I ended up with the Lee Foundation holder and Cokin Z-Pro ND grads. Expensive, but very nice. However, now I rarely bother TBH as the K-5 dynamic range is insane, and ETTR (Expose To The Right) gives me no problems along with the Lightroom digital grads

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Russ

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 15:14
Thanks Matt. It is quite amazing what can be gleaned from the K5 raw.

I'll give the slim holder a try, just ordered one on Ebay for 1.99, see how that vignettes with the 10-20 @ 10mm. Then decide whether to bother or not just for the 10mm end.

harwood6120

Link Posted 30/04/2014 - 08:16
Russ
I have the Sigma 10-20 and use a Cokin slim holder for the P series of filters.
Firstly you can only fit either a ND grad or a polariser but not both together. Also I get strong vignetting when using small apertures, say f16 onwards especially with the polariser especially wider than about 14mm.
I have tried a slim screw on polariser which seems better if used without any UV protective filter removed first and then simply hold the ND grad in front by hand.
Hope that helps.
Dave H
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.