Reasons To Choose Pentax

Here are a list of reasons Pentax believe you should choose a Pentax DSLR.

10/01/2014 - 00:00

With so many camera brands and styles on the market now picking one that's right for you can be a tricky task. So, to try and help users with their decision Pentax have listed five reasons why a Pentax DSLR could be the camera for you.

Pentax K-50

1. All-Weather Shooting Is Possible
The Pentax digital SLR camera system features weather-resistant, dustproof camera bodies and lenses, which means you'll be able to carry on shooting even if you're caught in a shower and you won't have to constantly worry about your equipment when you're at the beach in the summer. Featured in this range is the Pentax K-3 which has a water resistant body with 92 protection seals.

2. Large Lens Selection
The Pentax range of interchangeable lenses is optimised for an APS-C sensor size so whether you're a telephoto shooter who needs high-magnification, someone who shoots wide vistas or enjoy macro photography, Pentax offers a wide selection of zoom and primes that'll meet your needs.

Also, by incorporating the shake-reduction mechanism, once in the camera body, Pentax has removed the weight of lenses by removing the need for an SR system in each lens. Also, by optimising the lens design for APS-C image sensors, weight and size has been further reduced.

3. Minimised The Adverse Effect Of Camera Shake
As the Pentax-developed SR (shake reduction) mechanism is now found in Pentax SLR camera bodies, the effect of camera shake is minimised effectively and with all compatible interchangeable lenses. Further more, the Pentax entry-class models are equipped with a pentaprism viewfinder, in place of a pentamirror viewfinder commonly used for the entry class models. As a result, a larger, brighter image for quick, effortless confirmation of image composition is produced.

4. Personalise Your Camera With Over 100 Colour Choices
Certain models found in the Pentax DSLR range can be customised with colour. Choose from over 100 colour combinations to make your camera unique. Before purchase, photographers can colour coordinate the body and grip with their favorite colours, in fact on the Ricoh website users can use a colour simulator to change the colour of a Pentax K-50.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 20:18
And your telling us this because??!!!

The reason I shoot Pentax is because their waterproof, have a good lens selection.....
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 20:27
Where's number 5?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"

steven9761

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 22:01
RalphHardwick wrote:
Where's number 5?

No.5: It's not widely advertised on tv, thus the "fashionistas" all opt for Nikon and Canon, leaving Pentax to people who appreciate real quality!!
Last Edited by steven9761 on 10/01/2014 - 22:02

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 11/01/2014 - 23:46
Ahhh, I see.

I feel really special now
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

JohnE

Link Posted 15/01/2014 - 09:26
They had me up to 3.
But seriously, am I that concerned about the colour of the camera?

Hello Ricoh/Pentax. How about striving for the following features:
1) Innovative photographic capabilities.
2) Amazing low light performance.
3) High resolution full-frame quality to rival medium format cameras.
4) Small and light-weight camera bodies.
5) Quality lenses that don't cost an arm and a leg.
---
Pentax K30, Pentax K5, Probably too many lenses (if I am honest), Sony ILCE 6000

Orsolia

Link Posted 16/01/2014 - 05:21
May I also add:

6. Unrivalled ergonomic design, with a camera body that fits in your hand so well you'll want to marry it, and each and every single control in exactly the spot I want it to be

peterf

Link Posted 16/01/2014 - 09:21
Didn't they need to post that article on the Canon website? Preaching to the church mice here... Even when, for a couple of years, I sold ALL of my kit and had no reason to go back to Pentax, I still did. How about these 6 reasons to buy Pentax?
1. It's not Nikon. Lottery winners pretending to be pros
2. It's not Canon. Cheap and nasty. For people who think it makes them look like a photographer.
3. It's not Minolta. What?
4. It's not Olympus. Who?
5. It's not Sony. Don't they make over priced tellys?
The 6th reason is a secret, like the original 5th
Last Edited by peterf on 16/01/2014 - 09:22

pixelshot

Link Posted 16/01/2014 - 09:30
l have a K5 it has been through all sorts of weather conditions and has never let me down also amazing amount of lenses on ebay for those on a tight budget ..as a pensioner l should now ! the camera is very well built not all plastic like some of the rivals claiming to be the Bee's knees !ALAN FORD
Last Edited by pixelshot on 16/01/2014 - 09:31
Link Posted 16/01/2014 - 15:03
I agree. The K5 is superb. I admit to be sorely tempted to jump ship and buy a Nikon Df but having just read the review of it in this week's AP it is slightly disappointing from a price/performance point of view. Now, if Pentax could be tempted to emulate the traditional SLR idea with a "digital LX......." then I could definitely be tempted!

richandfleur

Link Posted 27/01/2014 - 09:47
For me it's the image quality compared, features for the price, control/menu layout, compatibility with legacy lenses including the inherent stabilisation of them also, along with the sturdiness of the bodies.

Of a side note is the compactness of both bodies and lenses. This has flow on affects, in the likes of use on smaller tripods when travelling etc, which is not something I'd ever considered initially!

igorrro

Link Posted 19/09/2014 - 00:36
2. Large Lens Selection - Someone had a good mood

pixelshot please try Pentax K - 5 II/IIS - in this edition Pentax improved a lot AF performance comapare to the K - 5
A lot of equipment, but a little talent
Last Edited by igorrro on 19/09/2014 - 00:39

dougbaby

Link Posted 16/01/2015 - 19:56
I have a nearly new K5,and it focusses almost instantaneously as it is,and is quick enough for me,so I don't see the point of moving over to a K5ii.
The live view on the newer camera is the same,and the rear LCD is on my K5 is as good,or better,than any of he other cameras I've had,and overall my K5,fitted with the additional battery pack accessory,for even better handling,is a great,solidly built piece of kit,capable of outperforming several higher priced cameras from other makers.

As regards lenses,the only lenses I have are the standard 18-55 kit zoom,plus a Samsung D-Zenon 50-200,(made in the same factory as the Pentax equivalent,but of a slightly higher standard),an old Pentax SMC 50mm f2 manual focus lens,and a Tokina autofocus 28-70 PK-A zoom.
These lenses are plenty sharp enough,and can handle most things,and there's plenty of K fitting second hand lenses out there if you can't afford a new Pentax lens for your kit.

Johnwishart

Link Posted 08/06/2015 - 07:57
I started in "proper picture making" a while ago, started off with Canon, for no better reason than there was a good deal at the multiple box seller.
I bought more lenses and bits and pieces and upgraded my Canon, wasn't fully happy with what it did and how it did it.
Saw reviews on Pentax, didn't want gaudy colours so bought a K3 with 2 lenses.
What a revelation, a much nicer camera, very capable yet easy to use, suits me perfectly, it is my camera of choice, I have a Sony A6000, awkward to use in my opinion.
If I can use my Canon lenses on the Pentax, my world would be almost perfect.