Vegetable Photography Tips

Why not have a go at shooting some of your veg with your Pentax camera before eating it?

31/08/2012 - 00:00

Vegetables look good enough to eat, so why not have a go at photographing them with your Pentax camera before you make them into your dinner?

still life veg by cattyal
Photo by cattyal

Gear Suggestions:

A macro lens like the DFA Macro 100mm f/2.8 will get you in close to magnify the details of the vegetables but if you want to include more of your background use a wider angled lens, such as an SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3. This super zoom will give you maximum versatility to get the level of zoom you want for the photo.

If you don't have many props to fill your background a telephoto lens would be a better option as you'll need less props to create a composition with a similar result. A spray bottle will be handy for making your vegetables look more appetising and having lemon juice to hand will slow the speed at which they turn brown at.

Technique:

Bright, healthy vegetables will be more appealing in your photograph than ones that are a little off-colour. Make sure they're clean and try adding a mist of water to your produce to make them look good enough to eat.

Flash can wash out colours and cause bright reflections so use natural light where at all possible. By or on a window's the best place to set your still life up but if you find it to be too bright diffuse the light with tissue paper, a net curtain or a piece of muslin. Don't use coloured material though as this will add a colour cast to your image. If you do want to use flash bounce it off a nearby wall or ceiling instead of firing it straight on.

When it comes to building your still life less is usually more so don't be tempted to fill your scene. Instead try using one or two props such as a basket or garden tools in the foreground or the background of your shot.

If you're lost for ideas pick up a few cook books and see how other people have arranged their shots. Pay close attention to the colours and shapes of the vegetables you use - do you want them to compliment each other or contrast? And use leading lines to draw the eye into and through the image.

As we eat our food looking down on it at a 45 degree angle it is tempting to put the produce in the centre of the frame and snap away on one focal length. But if you move your feet and play with different focal lengths you'll soon have shots that are good enough to eat.

WaylonJon

Link Posted 04/05/2018 - 11:33
I'm starting a restaurant and coupled with the essay writing tools, this is going to be essential for me. The Vegetable Photography Tips are going to be treasured for a long time now onwards. And I am hoping for the best now.

rosesandra

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 06:27
I'm beginning an eatery and combined with the coursework writing, this will be fundamental for me. The Vegetable Photography Tips will be loved for quite a while now onwards. Also, I am seeking after the best at this point.

daisyfaith

Link Posted 29/05/2018 - 06:44
The almost common mistakes as students fulfill is selecting a subject he are not involved in. If you are truly involved among a topic, possibly thou will make up a bill that is excellent to readers as much well.

coursework writing service

Link Posted 21/11/2018 - 17:54
Regularly when I surf the net I try to look for web sites which provide good information so I found this web site. Pleased when I came across your web blog since I greatly enjoyed this and so I anticipate your following post. A fantastic blog and I will come back a lot more for additional great content… virtual number

Link Posted 24/12/2018 - 12:41
Mmm.. estimable to be here in your report or notify, whatever, I repute I should moreover process strong for my have website want I play some salubrious further updated busy in your location. Tree Trimming near

Himanshuarya

Link Posted 31/12/2018 - 09:18
Thanks for sharing this article with us just from our website you will play free online yahtzee with your friends which you will play without any pay and download.

Link Posted 02/01/2019 - 13:53
Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. Lake Arrowhead Oktoberfest

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 13:15
Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I've been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. Acne Facial in Manhattan

Link Posted 19/01/2019 - 13:54
Cool you inscribe, the info is really salubrious further fascinating, I'll give you a connect to my scene. online bookkeeping services

WaylonJon

Link Posted 25/01/2019 - 10:49
Thank you for your submit and also fantastic suggestions.. also My partner and i furthermore believe work will be the main part of acquiring accomplishment.
Tax Advice

Link Posted 24/03/2019 - 10:45
Make the most of mainly premium substances - you will find him or her for: Hi Rise Camera

Link Posted 24/03/2019 - 10:49
It is rather very good, nevertheless glance at the data with this handle. cd dvd duplication services

Link Posted 30/03/2019 - 11:44
You bear through a awesome vacancy. I sanity definitely quarry it moreover personally suggest to my buddys. I am self-possessed they determination be benefited from this scene. hadoop certification

Link Posted 30/03/2019 - 11:48
Acknowledges for penmanship such a worthy column, I stumbled beside your blog besides predict a handful advise. I want your tone of manuscript... sports for kids

Link Posted 30/03/2019 - 11:50
Within this webpage, you'll see the page, you need to understand this data. SAP Hybris Billing Certification Training

Link Posted 30/03/2019 - 11:53
Gives you the best website address I know there alone you'll find how easy it is. Dental SEO

Link Posted 31/03/2019 - 17:30
Amazing, this is great as you want to learn more, I invite to This is my page. климатици варна

Link Posted 31/03/2019 - 18:16
Regular visits listed here are the easiest method to appreciate your energy, which is why why I am going to the website everyday, searching for new, interesting info. Many, thank you! asbestos survey portsmouth

Link Posted 31/03/2019 - 19:35
I will really appreciate the writer's choice for choosing this excellent article appropriate to my matter.Here is deep description about the article matter which helped me more. one off cleaning london

bettywatkins

Link Posted 02/04/2019 - 09:17
I personally use them exclusively high-quality elements : you will notice these folks during: Nano Hearing

WaylonJon

Link Posted 09/07/2019 - 12:26
The photography tips shared here are excellent, and I am going to share them with friends. My friends are woring the forskolin supplement review right now, but if I share these tips with them, they'll focus on the tips first.

itp6640

Link Posted 09/08/2019 - 21:02
Thanks for posting these tips, they really have helped. I have been reading a few guides on photography tips so I am finally getting there!

darrylhampton

Link Posted 11/09/2019 - 20:25
I want to know if you have more info on this topic that you haven't shared with us yet. If you can share this info with me, it will allow me to complete my project. I would be extremely thankful to you, so share this with me, please. Isla st clair