Sunset Photography Tips

Here are a few top tips for Sunset photography with your Pentax camera

26/04/2013 - 00:00

Sunset
Photo by David Clapp

At this time of year, the sun sets at around 8.30 in the evening, giving you the perfect opportunity to head out in the evening and capture some stunning sunset shots with your Pentax kit. Wait much longer, and you'll be out until gone 9.00pm to get a decent sunset shot.

DSLRs: If you're using a DSLR then you have a couple of choices for lenses. You can either go for a wide angle lens, which will enable you to capture more of a landscape scene as well as the sunset, or you can go for a zoom lens and make the sun itself the main focus of your shots.

A graduated filter will be handy for balancing your exposure. Silhouetted landscapes can also look good in sunset photography.

Compacts: Some Pentax compacts, like the Optio VS20, have a sunset mode, which will help you to create that orange glow associated with the time of day.

Metering: You may like sunsets but they can confuse your camera if you meter from the sun. Instead, move your camera so the sun is just out of frame, take a reading and use exposure lock.

Timing: Sunset photography requires some thought as to where you'll be when the sun starts to disappear for the night. It helps to know where the sun will set in your area so you can head out and find a great location beforehand. You also need to arrive well before the sun begins otherwise you'll be setting your kit up as the sun sets and as a result you'll miss your shots.

Weather conditions: A cloudy sky will add interest to the shot, but too cloudy, and you won't be able to see much. A cloud free sky is great for colour, but a few clouds here and there will add texture and create interesting patterns.

Safety: Remember that you should never look directly at the sun through your camera lens. You can use something solid to shield the lens from the direct sun, or wait the sun is very low in the sky and diffused by haze, cloud and pollution.

Composition: The middle of the shot isn't always the best place to put the sun. Try experimenting with different compositions. If there's something particularly interesting in the landscape, bring the horizon up. If the sky looks spectacular but the ground is a little boring, bring your horizon line down. Try placing the sun to the left or right to make the shot more pleasing to the eye.

harwood6120

Link Posted 01/05/2013 - 08:20
why is there an advert for Canon on this page? ::

harwood6120

Link Posted 01/05/2013 - 08:21
wow! Now it's changed to Nikon!!

Darstadlydarcey

Link Posted 02/05/2013 - 12:00
Back to Canon now
Pentax K50,FA 35 2.0,FA 50 1.4, DA 18-135 WR, Sony RX100 2, Manfrotto bits...

john111

Link Posted 05/01/2018 - 08:11
Every time this allow you the option related to the delete bing history completely your previous surfing history and this also give you easy steps by which you can solve lots of problems.

emadgad45

Link Posted 10/07/2019 - 00:30
Below you will understand what is important, the idea provides one of the links with an exciting site:
لعبة من سيربح المليون - لعبة جاتا - لعبة صب واي - لعبة زوما
Last Edited by emadgad45 on 10/07/2019 - 00:31

Diavam

Link Posted 30/09/2019 - 09:27
Thank you very much for the advice that I read very on time.
My friend, who is engaged in photography for the literary magazine http://cs.trains.com/members/brentmacias/default.aspx showed me his work so now I want to reach the level of his skill. The information about a sunset mode was especially useful since I want to use the light-shadow game to reveal the concept of fate in the Beowulf.

Nomiiameen

Link Posted 24/10/2019 - 21:56
Taking pictures at sunset requires some thought about where you will be when the sun disappears for the night. It helps to know where the sun is setting in your area so you can go and find a great place in advance. Can we discuss about https://www.bestessays.com.au/assignment-help.php here? You must also arrive well before the sun starts, otherwise you will set your rig as the sun sets and as a result you will miss your shots.

leo383

Link Posted 10/12/2019 - 19:51
These sunset tips are perfect. I've always had a hard time getting the settings right for a good sunset and night pic. Thanks.

Leo - exterior house painting spokane | contractor spokane wa | fencecompanyshreveport.com | https://fencingsantafe.com

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:43
I also wrote an article on a similar subject will find it at write what you think. SAP HANA Training

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:44
During this website, you will see this shape, i highly recommend you learn this review. solar system for kids bird videos business ideas for kids

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:45
At this point you'll find out what is important, it all gives a url to the appealing page: robot parts

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:46
You ought to basically fantastic not to mention solid advice, which means notice: organic seo consultant

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:48
I prefer merely excellent resources - you will see these people in: business suits for women

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:53
Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I donít know what to say except that I have. vape shops san antonio

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:56
Mmm.. estimable to be here in your report or notify, whatever, I repute I should moreover process strong for my have website want I play some salubrious further updated busy in your location. scratch and dent refrigerator

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:57
I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises... addiction research foundation

RobertSchneider

Link Posted 20/01/2020 - 04:59
On this page you can read my interests, write something special. Waist Corset

issa12

Link Posted 13/09/2020 - 08:19
Wow, that photograph is something else! It's amazing! small business loans

issa12

Link Posted 24/09/2020 - 09:27
My colleagues loved this site! small business lending

maze13

Link Posted 14/11/2020 - 08:39
Wow, this is really pretty! Flip Funding

maze13

Link Posted 21/11/2020 - 08:20
Thank you so much for sharing this! We are a marketing company Virginia beach and we love this!

maze13

Link Posted 02/12/2020 - 07:26
This is stunning! house cleaning schaumburg il

Vellgus