Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

What's your latest acquisition?

Mike-P
Posted 20/09/2021 - 15:28 Link
jeallen01 wrote:
A used Sigma 10-20 F4.5-F5.6 from SRS to replace my much-loved decade+ old one which simply "disappeared" somewhere in the house after I took it out of my "to go" backpack before going to Ruislip Lido for Sunday lunch and a "walkaround" and I just couldn't then seem to find it again!

Needing something relatively cheap and quick to get, I looked at the SRS site and found this lens at £199.99 - but then I looked on eBay, and found the same lens from SRS at £179.10!

MPB have one for £139 in excellent condition.
jeallen01
Posted 20/09/2021 - 15:50 Link
Mike-P wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:
A used Sigma 10-20 F4.5-F5.6 from SRS to replace my much-loved decade+ old one which simply "disappeared" somewhere in the house after I took it out of my "to go" backpack before going to Ruislip Lido for Sunday lunch and a "walkaround" and I just couldn't then seem to find it again!

Needing something relatively cheap and quick to get, I looked at the SRS site and found this lens at £199.99 - but then I looked on eBay, and found the same lens from SRS at £179.10!

MPB have one for £139 in excellent condition.

That'll be a good catch for someone because, IMHO, it's an excellent, but underated lens. OTOH, I needed the lens very quickly and SRS are 20 miles/35 mins from here - whereas MPB are (I think) in Brighton and that's a lot further away!

PS: when I said that the lens was in "v.g.c" I was probably understating the condition as many people would consider it to be in "excellent" condition.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 05/10/2021 - 15:09 Link
A couple of days ago a rare lens, the A 35mm f/2, popped up in a local listing in an app and I jumped on it as I don't think I've ever seen one for sale, certainly not locally. At €250 I wouldn't say it was a bargain but not a bad price given it's condition. It's M predecessor (which cost me about a third of what this did) is probably my favourite manual lens of all so I couldn't resist the A version, which is apparently optically identical but with the convenience of the A setting, which allows aperture control in 1/3 stop increments. This copy is in even better condition than the seller advertised, I'd say it's mint, and it works like a charm.

I'm a sucker for a 35mm prime as it's my preferred focal length on APS-C and I have accumulated a bit of a collection. Even better when I can also use them on film. I'd agree from what I've seen so far that it's optically identical to the M. The HD FA is certainly a bit sharper wide open but of course it lacks the tactile pleasure of using classic lenses.

Comment Image
Pentax SMC-A 35mm f/2 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Comment Image
Pentax SMC-A 35mm f/2 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Edited by Jonathan-Mac: 05/10/2021 - 15:20
Mike-P
Posted 05/10/2021 - 15:51 Link
I wanted a small pocketable camera and ended up with a Sony RX100 V off eBay. Lovely little camera but far too tiny for me so I sold it elsewhere for substantially more than I paid
bforbes
Posted 05/10/2021 - 16:15 Link
Two Fuji Lenses. A 70-300 f4-5.6 + 1.4X and a 16-80 f4. A rationalization of the Fuji system while extending the focal range
HarisF1
Posted 05/10/2021 - 17:02 Link
I sold the K-3 premium silver edition I got a bit ago with the premium grip. I thought it was a good deal.. until it fell through today.

Apparently the unused grip that I scanned over (looked mint) and kept in the box was a D-BG8 model from the new K3iii, not the D-BG5 that the buyer wanted.

So it's coming back home 'unfortunately' (I can't be upset that the £75 grip I sold was actually a £250 grip in disguise).

Can I call it an acquisition?
All the gear with no idea
cardiffgareth
Posted 05/10/2021 - 21:22 Link
My Samyang 12mm Fuji X Mount will be going up for sale as I may have purchased off ebay a Pk mount Sigma EX DG 20mm f1.8.
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Mike-P
Posted 05/10/2021 - 22:07 Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
My Samyang 12mm Fuji X Mount will be going up for sale as I may have purchased off ebay a Pk mount Sigma EX DG 20mm f1.8.

I saw that, thought about it for a bit but the comments on Pentaxforums weren't very encouraging
Edited by Mike-P: 05/10/2021 - 22:08
Tyr
Posted 06/10/2021 - 20:28 Link
Used Pentax 18-135mm. Gifted my previous one to my dad for his K70. Now a practically permanent feature on my K-5 as a quick and dirty 'backup' camera or as a light travel setup for my K-3iii.

It may not be the sharpest lens but it is great for day to day and travel, especially if you know and understand its 'limitations' wide open. I quite like the soft corners for portraits or shots where you want focus to really be on the subject itself a a little softer around the edges.
cardiffgareth
Posted 06/10/2021 - 20:59 Link
Mike-P wrote:
cardiffgareth wrote:

I saw that, thought about it for a bit but the comments on Pentaxforums weren't very encouraging

Yeah the reviews said wide open it was poor but stopped down it's okay and AF motor is noisey. As I'll be using it stopped down and I manual focus then I may be okay.....he says
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
HarisF1
Posted 17/10/2021 - 11:54 Link
I've ordered a 2nd hand GR III
All the gear with no idea
takuman
Posted 17/10/2021 - 12:08 Link
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of SMC Pentax k 28/3.5 from Japan, 3rd purchase from there, going back to all manual.
Just passing thru
Posted 17/10/2021 - 12:45 Link
takuman wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of SMC Pentax k 28/3.5 from Japan, 3rd purchase from there, going back to all manual.

Have seen a few Pentax bits on eBay from Japan. Do you get clobbered for import tax etc when receiving them?
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
takuman
Posted 17/10/2021 - 14:49 Link
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:
takuman wrote:

Have seen a few Pentax bits on eBay from Japan. Do you get clobbered for import tax etc when receiving them?

So far I have had to pay the item cost and delivery to UK. The big plus for me is that the lenses that I have bought have been very accurately as described in the listing. Regards John
Just passing thru
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 17/10/2021 - 16:32 Link
takuman wrote:

The K 28mm f/3.5 is a really nice lens.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.