Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photo Critique

nanhi
Posted 16/07/2011 - 10:43 Link
Many Pentaxian Users post photos in this esteemed Forum so that they can get constructive criticism, feedback on improvements and above all encouragement to improve their photography.
But comments like "LOVELY, GREAT, BEAUTIFUL, STUNNING ... blah, blah, etc"
do no good.
Pentaxian PROS, pseudo PROS and those of us with flashy DSLR's who think they have become PROS, make no contribution towards enhancing photography skills or techniques with such comments.
Gwyn
Posted 16/07/2011 - 10:55 Link
Firstly the titles given to members have nothing to do with their photography skills, but the number of posts they make on the forum.

Maybe the photo is so good there is nothing constructive to say about it other than that it is stunning, beautiful or whatever.

Not everyone is capable of giving constructive criticism, or feels comfortable criticising another's photos, when they feel their own efforts are not up to that standard. If people feel able to help they do.

Not everyone appreciates criticism, constructive or otherwise.
Karl
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:13 Link
I agree somewhat with nanhi.
I am quite prepared to be ripped to shreds if it helps me see things from another angle and improve. I might not agree but I certainly would not be offended - the opposite I would be grateful. I often feel that serious critique is lacking on this forum. It's the only one I post on and it is at times frustrating and impossible to know whats going through people's minds.

In fact the only way to get any serious feedback is to enter the competitions.

However, I do appreciate that this is all easier said than done. Personally I don't always feel accomplished enough of a photographer to criticise or suggest that something could be done differently with the images posted by other members.
Perhaps this is the root of the problem?
matwhittington
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:14 Link
I agree with Gwyn, and also think that comments such as 'great, stunning etc' are always nice to receive and help to build confidence (does for me anyway) - I hope we all continue to be so supportive of one another; maybe that confidence then leads to greater participation in the future...:

Just my thoughts
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:17 Link
I tend to be conservative with how much I'll offer in terms of praise. I tend to refrain from judging to often or too in depth. every now and then I see something or someone that could use a little constructive criticism. If there are multiple points already addressed, I seldom bother repeating those, just try to add a little bit if I can.

So in the forums, as in parenting, I do not heap on the praise for mundane tasks to the point that a person is so used to being praised, they can't differentiate between average or exceptional accomplishments. I do not criticize to the point that a person feels they cannot do anything right. But when I do offer praise or criticism, I hope it is listened to and believed, and above all else, helpful.

Plus on top of all that I do love to laugh and joke around a lot.... so at least people can tell when I'm serious.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 16/07/2011 - 11:19
thoughton
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:19 Link
I agree with Nanhi. If the photo is truly outstanding then those sort of comments seem fine to me. But I often see those sort of comments on photos which have ... erm ... issues, and I don't think it does the photographer any favours.

It also devalues the comment-giver; there are some people here and the gallery whose comments I don't pay any attention to, because they say 'great shot' to everything.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 16/07/2011 - 11:24
dougf8
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:20 Link
The ONLY criterion to use the forum is ...... nothing. (no need to prove your kit list)

The ONLY criteria to post an image is that the EXIF should be of a Pentax camera or Samsung DSLR or the image should have come from a Pentax camera in the case of SILVER etc. Or the image is of Pentax (Samsung K mount) equipment.

There is NO need to have any knowledge of photography. There is no need to have any critical skills. There is no requirement to have any training, education etc etc

So the pompous requests for "helpful/constructive" comments and the like are just elitist tripe.

If you want more, then please go and find another forum or go to college or join a camera/photography club. (in addition to posting here)

By the intolerant posts of some people (spelling, grammar, constructivity)[incl me on occasion ] we should have minimum educational requirements of at least a "C" at English GCSE (or equivalent) an LRPS or "A/B" at A level photography. Which I guess would deny 99% of the forum access including half of the hypocrites who want higher standards of English/Photography.

What helpful critique comments has the OP made for others on the forum? Zero. I like nothing better than people who lead from the front.
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 16/07/2011 - 11:36
pgweber
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:32 Link
What I have observed on occasion is that not long after I have commented on someone's gallery entry, they pay a reciprocal visit and leave a similar comment on my latest offering.

I feel uncomfortable with that sort of 'mutual back-slapping' for want of a better expression.

I look at subject matter that I find interesting, so I am probably self censoring to the effect of producing mainly positive comments. If I comment on a negative aspect in a photograph, I usually comment on some other positive aspects too.

I struggle to accept the gushing comments that the first poster referred to whenever I receive such but also try to remember that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "one man's meat is another man's poison".

Just my own perspective...
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
Edited by pgweber: 16/07/2011 - 11:37
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:34 Link
Quite right Doug, all members should be free to comment on photos in whatever way they wish. If people want in depth criticism they can and often do request it.

It doesn't help anyone to debate the comments given by other people. We've been there before and it wasn't pretty. Focus on the content of your own comments if you want to contribute more positively to raising the standards of photography. Other people are quite entitled to share the enjoyment of taking and sharing pictures however they see fit!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 16/07/2011 - 11:35
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:38 Link
dougf8 wrote:
The ONLY criterion to use the forum is ...... nothing. (no need to prove your kit list)

The ONLY criteria to post an image is that the EXIF should be of a Pentax camera or Samsung DSLR or the image should have come from a Pentax camera in the case of SILVER etc. Or the image is of Pentax (Samsung K mount) equipment.

There is NO need to have any knowledge of photography. There is no need to have any critical skills. There is no requirement to have any training, education etc etc

So the pompous requests for "helpful/constructive" comments and the like are just elitist tripe.

If you want more, then please go and find another forum or go to college or join a camera/photography club.

By the intolerant posts of some people (spelling, grammar, constructivity)[incl me on occasion ] we should have minimum educational requirements of at least a "C" at English GCSE (or equivalent) an LRPS or "A/B" at A level photography. Which I guess would deny 99% of the forum access including half of the hypocrites who want higher standards of English/Photography.

What helpful critique comments has the OP made for others on the forum? Zero. I like nothing better than people who leade from the front.

When I was little, I used to run. I was fast. I was the fasted kid I knew. All the way up until I got to highschool, then there were a couple seniors that were faster than me, so I tried harder. By the time I was a senior, I was the fastest kid again, until I tired out for the Jeux Canada Games. So I tried harder. Then they wouldn't let me run because my grades were poor. Life ain't fair. But we only get better when we challenge ourselves and measure our successes against those that are simply better at it than we are... in all things.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
dougf8
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:41 Link
Don wrote:

When I was little, I used to run. I was fast. I was the fasted kid I knew. All the way up until I got to highschool, then there were a couple seniors that were faster than me, so I tried harder. By the time I was a senior, I was the fastest kid again, until I tired out for the Jeux Canada Games. So I tried harder. Then they wouldn't let me run because my grades were poor. Life ain't fair. But we only get better when we challenge ourselves and measure our successes against those that are simply better at it than we are... in all things.

You lost me after the word little .... are you spouting some patronising tosh or are you saying something?
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 16/07/2011 - 11:45
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:45 Link
For some it's about the winning, for others it's the taking part, Don. I don't know how instrumental comments in the gallery are on people's photographic improvement. The people who are going to benefit from constructive criticism the most, and have the desire to raise their game, usually manage to solicit the right sort of comments when they post in the 'Your Photos' section and request a more in depth analysis.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
techno-terminator
Posted 16/07/2011 - 12:07 Link
I really think that the OP here must remember that many of us here are still very much in the 'learner' category.

We don't have the technical expertise of some of the other posters and therefore can't offer technical criticism .

Are we therefore to refrain from making comments ?

Is it wrong to say that we have regarded a picture as 'Stunning' because something in that particular shot has really 'hit us between the eyes' ?

Are we only permitted to make comments along the lines of , your focus was spot on , light was good but your post processing leaves much to be desired ?
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
aliengrove
Posted 16/07/2011 - 13:18 Link
I have to confess that often I don't leave comments at all if I really don't like a picture, unless it's someone whose output I have seen often before and know they won't get disillusioned or annoyed by my comments. I once got a PM from someone who ripped into me for saying what I thought they could do to improve their technique. And they had asked for critique.

If someone asks for critique and I think I can say something constructive then I will generally say something; otherwise I often don't. If I like a picture, I generally say so. In the gallery, I tend to only comment on pictures I like.

I do find it a bit odd though that the OP, who has evidently just joined the forum, has posted this thread before posting any of their own pictures or commenting on anyone else pictures though. Practice what you preach, or don't preach at all.
Northgrain
Posted 16/07/2011 - 14:43 Link
After being on the Forum for six months or so, I think it has a pretty good set of systems for giving feedback on images which (at least partially) marries the needs of both numpties who need to improve... but could be easily discouraged... with those of experienced old lags who want to get stuck in to really serious critiques.

The 'nice shot' comments are important. They at least tell you something, and for the newbie are encouraging. Once you've been around a while you realise what the absence of these means - particulary on the Gallery which gives you only simple feedback (No comments = pedestrian snap; 1-5 'Lovely, stunning, ' etc comments = OK image; 6+ positive comments = you might be on to something).

Posting on 'Your Photos' can be similar, but if you specifically ask for criticism and/or when people get to know you, more detailed feedback follows. And there's always the dreaded 'no replies' syndrome (or equally just one or two only from the more humane members) to put you right on weak images.

Then there are the competitions - I've always been amazed on the quantity of reasoned, detailed feedback the judges provide. You can learn a huge amount from these without even entering... and even more when you get stuck in with your own images.

It's a difficult balance between an approachable and friendly Forum and one with serious critical bite. Maybe I'm biased, with at least one foot still in the numptie camp, but for me the balance here is excellent.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.