Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

pentax q !!!help!!!

Posted 24/05/2013 - 12:00 Link
hi guys!
my trusty pentax q started to switch off just few seconds after i switch on..
i took it, advised by jessops guy, to the camera clinic in great portland street, central london.. just had a call from them asking 160 quid to fix it.. they say my camera needs a new image stabilizer.
i found brand new bodys only of pentax q on ebay for 90 quid!!!
does any of you guys know any other person that could have a look at my camera?
i believe camera clinic its over pricing the repair!
thanks for reading!
daniel
Roscoe
Posted 24/05/2013 - 13:34 Link
It's often the case I'm afraid Daniel.

My MZ7 was too costly to have repaired, that's why I own a K20D!

Kindest regards.

Peter.
MattMatic
Posted 24/05/2013 - 15:03 Link
A quick checklist:

1. Try another battery
2. Ensure the latest firmware is installed (if you can get that far)
3. Try without the lens on the camera (just in case there's a lens issue)

Worth a try...
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
gartmore
Posted 24/05/2013 - 15:45 Link
I take it that it is out of warranty but if you bought it from a Pentax Pro dealer then the warranty is two years. The official Pentax service agent is here link

Please let us know how you get on
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
JAK
Posted 24/05/2013 - 17:13 Link
gartmore wrote:
I take it that it is out of warranty but if you bought it from a Pentax Pro dealer then the warranty is two years. The official Pentax service agent is here link

Please let us know how you get on

I know when it goes wrong you end up in panic!

Have you tried the store where you purchased it from? The Sale of Goods legislation ought to apply. Your contract would be with them. Further info from Which magazine here link

I believe some users with camera body issues have contacted Pentax direct who have been known to be helpful too.

John K
John K
Posted 24/05/2013 - 18:06 Link
thanks guys!
i'll try everything that was told here!
much appreciated!
let you guys know whats the score
screwdriver
Posted 24/05/2013 - 19:22 Link
As MattMatic said try a new battery,always the first thing to try no matter what the fault, the largest %age of camera faults can be traced to a bad battery, it's the most stressed component in any camera.

If you do need to get a new body SRS are listing them at £99 in white or black, if you tell them your user name on Pentax User (this site) you will get free next day carriage.
Chris
Posted 24/05/2013 - 22:26 Link
screwdriver wrote:
As MattMatic said try a new battery,always the first thing to try no matter what the fault, the largest %age of camera faults can be traced to a bad battery, it's the most stressed component in any camera.

If you do need to get a new body SRS are listing them at £99 in white or black, if you tell them your user name on Pentax User (this site) you will get free next day carriage.

nice one thanks!
i tried the battery before taking to the camera clinic..
its just crazy that the repair costs more than a new camera!
Smeggypants
Posted 25/05/2013 - 04:22 Link
Such wastage is the nature of capitalism. Sadly it's going to be cheaper for you to just buy another body.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
johnriley
Posted 25/05/2013 - 10:05 Link
I hate waste and having to throw things away, but sometimes it is the only economical thing to do. Perhaps the old Q could be used as a source of spares in the longer term?
Best regards, John
JAK
Posted 25/05/2013 - 11:52 Link
lofimaster wrote:
hi guys!
my trusty pentax q started to switch off just few seconds after i switch on..
i took it, advised by jessops guy, to the camera clinic in great portland street, central london.. just had a call from them asking 160 quid to fix it.. they say my camera needs a new image stabilizer.
i found brand new bodys only of pentax q on ebay for 90 quid!!!
does any of you guys know any other person that could have a look at my camera?
i believe camera clinic its over pricing the repair!
thanks for reading!
daniel

How old is your camera? Surely not more than two years old?
Did it just go wrong one day or did you drop it or bash it with something or poke around inside it? Did the fault start suddenly or was it something that gradually got worse?

What happens if you turn image stabilization off (if it lets you?)
Can you playback earlier images OK still? After all they do not neeed the stabilization feature at all!

If the camera has malfunctioned after less than two years it is not acceptable to have to throw it away unless it has been accidentally run over by a bus or something!

What did the camera supplier have to say about it? If it was the old Jessops, then the new Jessops isn't the same company and they might take on the repair at double the cost to them; in which case get in touch with Pentax UK who I feel sure will help if it was due to a manufacturing fault, but probably not if a package of pieces following an accident, in which case just get a new one!

John K
John K
Edited by JAK: 25/05/2013 - 11:58
michaelblue
Posted 25/05/2013 - 12:19 Link
Any 'camera clinic' in London is going to be expensive. Have you tried searching outside London?
I would think though, any repair is going to cost almost as much as a new body from SRS (99 Pounds)
Personally, I wouldn't take ANY advice from jessops.

Good luck with it
Regards,
Michael
smc
Posted 27/05/2013 - 11:03 Link
Also try a new SD card - this seemed to come up on another thread (or my own memory might be faulty!)
cabstar
Posted 27/05/2013 - 12:27 Link
Any repair to a digital camera is going to cost at least £100 u fortunately skilled repairs cost ore money than a robot making cameras in the far east....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 18/06/2013 - 21:59 Link
after weeks with my camera not working, i decided to ask around.. i went to two other places in central london asking opinion.. both told me that wouldnt be worth to repair my camera..
when i got home, i sat down, looked at the camera and took my set of tinny screw drivers, that one from the 99p shop, started to unscrew the body... i took two screws off and regret it and started to screw back in..
AND PRESSED ON AND THE CAMERA WORKS FINE AGAIN!!
cant believe it! they were going to charge me 160 quid to push a screw back in!!
don't try this at home

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.