Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Fireworks

Unlocker
Posted 03/11/2007 - 22:26 Link
In reply to Mongoose and Hefty from the other fireworks thread, couldn't make Weston Turville due to work .

Should be going to Bovingdon on Monday. (For my sins, it's where I've been all day!)
hefty1
Posted 04/11/2007 - 01:22 Link
Unlocker wrote:
In reply to Mongoose and Hefty from the other fireworks thread, couldn't make Weston Turville due to work .

Should be going to Bovingdon on Monday. (For my sins, it's where I've been all day!)

Shame - it was a cracking display again this year. I'm just a bit wary of taking my camera out into large crowds hence I can't show you any photos. I noticed plenty of other folks with them although it was too dark to make out whether they were Pentax's or not...
Joining the Q
Mongoose
Posted 04/11/2007 - 17:31 Link
I got one or two shots, I'll stick them up shortly
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
pulveriser12
Posted 09/11/2008 - 09:25 Link
I generally understand the histogram but what exactly would i be looking for!!
K100D, 18-55mm and 90-190mm zoom lenses
4gb mem. card
GIMP for editing
kerrowdown
Posted 09/11/2008 - 17:48 Link
Hey Ken, wots wrong with loads of totally black / blank pictures, jus hang 'em in a gallery as modern art, someone will buy 'em
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"

William Blake

The Harem... "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A*85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A*300mm F4.0, "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5
Mongoose
Posted 10/11/2008 - 16:42 Link
pulveriser12 wrote:
I generally understand the histogram but what exactly would i be looking for!!

bearing in mind that the shot will, and should, be mostly black, the histogram will (and should) be bunched up largely at the bottom end. You are then looking for the bright sections (the fireworks) to be as far towards the right as possible without actually hitting the end.

For most fireworks, F8@ ISO 100 works pretty well. Some of the extra bright ones you will find you need to stop down a bit more to keep from blowing out.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
gartmore
Posted 10/11/2008 - 17:52 Link
kerrowdown wrote:
Hey Ken, wots wrong with loads of totally black / blank pictures, jus hang 'em in a gallery as modern art, someone will buy 'em

Dont even go there. Some years ago I was making a film for the BBC at the degree show of a well respected art school. I was standing in a space which contained a small shag-pile rug on the floor, a circular glass top from a coffee table leaning against the wall and above that, an empty frame. This was the 'Fine Art Photography' show which won someone a first class degree - and I didn't make that up!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
kerrowdown
Posted 10/11/2008 - 19:37 Link
I know that feeling, my daughter was at the Edinburgh version of what you describe. What she saw, put her off going there and doing art.

Now going down the film and photography route, no doubt going to put me in my place shortly.
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"

William Blake

The Harem... "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A*85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A*300mm F4.0, "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.