Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

printers, printers and yet more printers.....

PentaxAmPho
Posted 14/10/2008 - 21:18 Link
Hi folks. I have now decided, after producing so many photos, that I now want to start printing my photos to either put in a portfolio or even frame some of them. All I have at the moment is m Pentax kits and Adobe CS3. I know that there are many permutations regarding types of paper used for printing etc ....but, on the basis I do not want to spend more than £250 on a printer - does anyone have a good recommendation for a specific printer?

thanx in advance
ab uno disce omnes
mikew
Posted 14/10/2008 - 22:10 Link
For the little it may help I bought a cheap Canon - Pixma 4500 at 70 quid and jolly good it is too. But I wish I could do A3 so think carefully not just about today as I did but also tomorrow.

Mike
PentaxAmPho
Posted 14/10/2008 - 22:19 Link
yes, the point I am concentrating on is infact A3 printing. so, thanaks for your p.o.v.. I shall have a look at that canon (range) anyway.

cheers
ab uno disce omnes
johnriley
Posted 14/10/2008 - 23:37 Link
We use an Epson 1290s which produces very nice A3 prints.
Best regards, John
Hazza
Posted 15/10/2008 - 06:43 Link
I also have a pixma 4500 and it produces some excellent results with lovely detail. I only ever use original inks and decent heavy weight paper, but for the odd occasion that I need to print larger I would outsource. An A3 printer would not get used enough to justify the expense for me.
Harry
mikew
Posted 15/10/2008 - 07:16 Link
Hazza wrote:
I also have a pixma 4500 and it produces some excellent results with lovely detail. I only ever use original inks and decent heavy weight paper, but for the odd occasion that I need to print larger I would outsource. An A3 printer would not get used enough to justify the expense for me.
Harry

Roughly where I stand and I also use both Canon ink and paper as they give good, reliable results. It's gutting to waste both paper and ink with poor quality results you have to repeat. I get caught out now and again but by and large all Canon seems to work very well.

Mike
PentaxAmPho
Posted 20/10/2008 - 20:23 Link
johnriley wrote:
We use an Epson 1290s which produces very nice A3 prints.

I've had a look at the specs etc , looks quite good. I have already noticed that, even though you could stillbuy this printer, it's already been superceded by the Epson 1400 model (this range already extends further to the 2400 etc etc). The 1400 looks like a good purchase aswell. I am keeping an eye on this for any deals I can find
ab uno disce omnes
ttk
Posted 21/10/2008 - 09:14 Link
Please be aware that not all printers run on Vista ( if thats what you have) my mates Epson 1290 refused to run with Vista and as it was new he changed back to XP.
I myself have always used Canon Printers, S9000,At the moment i9950 x 2, both A3+..
Tel,
Moleymolekins
Posted 28/10/2008 - 08:52 Link
Like John I personally find the Epson 1290 a great printer. If you can stretch to it or find a good secondhand example then the replacement R1800 is a cracking printer.

The Epson printers also have the advantage of being able to easily install a CIS to help cut down printing costs.
PentaxAmPho
Posted 10/11/2008 - 21:18 Link
well. I read quite a bit. I finally stuck my neck out a bought the Epson Stylus Photo R1900, £248. thanks guys
ab uno disce omnes

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.