Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

X5 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

cedricd
Posted 25/10/2012 - 21:40 Link
Looks good as a psuedo DSLR and the handling is very good. The ergonomics have been well sorted with all the buttons just right. It`s not light and balances very well. The tilting screen is something I always thought unnecessary, not now though, it`s a revolution to observing. I really like having it. I bought it to throw in my works kit bag just so I have a Pentax camera with me.

The mechanical zoom is a bit on the fast side, I would prefer it to be a little slower than it is. It`s a bit in, out, oops to far try again oops not far enough and it`s not refined either. Sounds and feels like a mobile phone vibrating. In Manual mode changing shutter speed is fine but aperture only ever has two options.

I Q is fair and acceptable for a £200 camera, works very well in the auto modes the optical zoom is excellent throughout, digital zoom is very good up to a point but I would not expect to take it to the full extent without a quality compromise.

Be interesting to hear from other users.
Enjoy life
philstaff
Posted 01/11/2012 - 23:15 Link
The mechanical zoom is a bit on the fast side, I would prefer it to be a little slower than it is. It`s a bit in, out, oops to far try again oops not far enough and it`s not refined either

Seems to be a problem with most bridge cameras I have tried other than Fuji models

IAN
HowieM
Posted 02/12/2012 - 17:08 Link
Considering getting one of these to keep in the car when I don't bring my dslr or film cameras. Currently using a Nikon D7000 and Pentax 645n. I think for the money (now down to £169 from wex) it's a lot of camera for the money. I'm also considering moving to Pentax in the future. I might purchase a K30 with kit lens to see how I get on with the Pentax dslr system and move up to a K5ii in the future. Friend of mine uses a K-x and I swear his metering system is better than my D7000, go figure If I like the k-30 then I'd probably sell my Nikon gear and move to Pentax but get a k-5 or k-5ii.
McGregNi
Posted 02/12/2012 - 21:14 Link
I am obviously hoping that the X5 does well for Pentax, as the more money they make the more we'll all benefit from other things in future I'm guessing.

I read the AP review, which was predictable and sounded like a fair appraisal. They ranked it highly for its lens, in terms of zoom range which is 'class leading', and quality generally. Overall image quality from the camera came out very well for the price point, and handling and 'feel' were also rated well. In terms of more modern 'bells & whistles' it was rated down compared to competition. They referred to some newer technologies like GPS positioning, wi-fi etc that have made it onto some other bridge cameras.

Personally this sort of thing has no interest to me, but I can see that they are eye catching in the press and proabably help to sell more cameras.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
gartmore
Posted 17/12/2012 - 14:06 Link
I'm thinking of buying one as a Christmas present for someone, could someone post some images taken with one?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
cedricd
Posted 17/12/2012 - 18:54 Link
Hi Ken

If you take a look at my profile the last Stag is taken with an X5 the other Deer are with a K5. Compare and see.
Enjoy life
gartmore
Posted 17/12/2012 - 20:11 Link
Thanks Cedric, 'Spikes in the Grass' is a terrific shot, by the way
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
cedricd
Posted 17/12/2012 - 21:36 Link
Thanks Ken, I really like the lightness coupled with the optical zoom. I just could not hang a DSLR with a say a 150 - 500 round my neck and still ride a bike.

The IQ of the X5 is well decent even if the operator is limited in choice of modes. My consideration was better to have a pic than not and it had to be Pentax.
Enjoy life
bertndoris
Posted 08/01/2013 - 23:30 Link
Hi cedricd,i'm thinking of buying an x5,theres one thing im interested in and thats the focus.The spec says it has a manual setting,but i handled one today and it didn't have a focus ring that i could see.Is it poss to tell me how it works ? many thanks, Bert.
cedricd
Posted 09/01/2013 - 20:11 Link
Hello Bert, Thanks for your question. MF is achieved using the four way controller. Select the right arrow to choose MF, the up and down arrows allow for manual focus adjustment.
Enjoy life
bertndoris
Posted 10/01/2013 - 14:30 Link
Hi cedricd,many thanks for the info,may i just ask another?,does the camera retain the manual setting when switched off and on again?. The pics on your profile are excellent buy the way. many thanks , Bert.
cedricd
Posted 13/01/2013 - 10:01 Link
Hello Bert, I have tried the manual settings followed by a shutdown. The settings have been retained but in order to manually adjust the focus again the first move is a right click of the four way controller to initiate manual focus. This is followed by up and down with the four way controller to manually adjust the focus as before.
Enjoy life
bertndoris
Posted 13/01/2013 - 13:24 Link
cedricd your a star!,its an x5 for me. many many thanks, Bert.
cedricd
Posted 13/01/2013 - 14:12 Link
Hello Bert, I really hope you enjoy using the X5 looking forward to some pix. I think it`s a very useful and user friendly camera. The results using the digital zoom are quite something to be believed too.

Good shooting.
Enjoy life
Posted 27/03/2013 - 20:33 Link
Asda have it on offer at the moment - £135.
Might be worth a punt.
Some Cameras

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.