Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Tripods

Posted 27/11/2014 - 19:11 Link
Could do with some help re - tripods. What will be the best to hold the Pentax k3 with Sigma 150 - 500
Chrism8
Posted 27/11/2014 - 19:28 - Helpful Comment Link
Manfrotto 055b would be a good choice, just pick aluminum or carbon depending on your budget plus your choice of head.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
davidstorm
Posted 27/11/2014 - 19:43 - Helpful Comment Link
Best combination of value for money, quality and sturdiness has been mentioned many times on here before and that is a Redsnapper with either a standard pan and tilt head or a ball head. Mine has had rough use and has come through unscathed apart from some scratches to the paint finish. I would go for the 3 section leg version, which I think is the RS-283.

I think many others on here have this tripod and would highly recommend it.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
AndrewA
Posted 27/11/2014 - 19:47 Link
I used my Redsnapper and Manfrotto Ball Head with my Sigma 150-500 and all was well and secure.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
rparmar
Posted 02/12/2014 - 13:23 Link
Check out Feisol.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Posted 05/12/2014 - 17:50 Link
Has anyone got any views on a Gitzo 1227? I'm looking for something reasonably lightweight that I can assemble quickly and am not too fussed about having the latest version. They look well designed but am wondering if there are any more modern alternatives that can be had for similar money to a second hand Gitzo in good condition.
smudge
Posted 05/12/2014 - 19:39 Link
andrewjlennon5 wrote:
Has anyone got any views on a Gitzo 1227? I'm looking for something reasonably lightweight that I can assemble quickly and am not too fussed about having the latest version. They look well designed but am wondering if there are any more modern alternatives that can be had for similar money to a second hand Gitzo in good condition.

I am a fan of Gitzo tripods and have a number of them in various sizes (I prefer the twist locks to the lever locks that Manfrotto use). All were bought second hand - some nearly new, others 20 or 30 years old. All are perfectly functional. They are designed to be easy to dismantle and repair if necessary and you can get a whole range of spare parts and accessories. A number of other makes seem to be Gitzo clones. For example I have a Redged table top tripod that is a very close copy of the Gitzo design. Unfortunately I have no experience of Red Snapper so cannot offer an opinion. If you do decide on Gitzo the only advice I would give is do not be too hung up on carbon fibre - it is better to buy an aluminium tripod in good condition than a carbon fibre one that has been abused. If you can afford carbon fibre in good condition - even better, but the difference in weight and stability is really not that much. Secondly, while Gitzo heads are fine there are others that are better, including some by Manfrotto that cost a bit less.
Regards, Philip
Posted 05/12/2014 - 23:16 Link
Thanks. I'm just trying to decide between the Mountaineer and the Traveler at the moment. The former looks to be that little bit more sturdy and not too heavy, so is probably my preferred choice.
Edited by andrewjlennon5: 05/12/2014 - 23:16
CMW
Posted 06/12/2014 - 11:38 Link
Agree with all smudge says about Gitzo, though I do think carbon fibre is worth holding out for, particularly for winter use! If you have the chance to get a 2nd-hand head made by Really Right Stuff you'd have a winning combination.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Posted 06/12/2014 - 13:59 Link
Has anyone got or tried the Traveler version from Gitzo? How do you find it? It looks amazingly compact, but those legs look somewhat skinny when extended fully.
CMW
Posted 06/12/2014 - 15:34 Link
I looked across the range of Gitzo tripods and in the end decided to get the 3532LS one, which I had used previously (borrowed) so knew I was happy with it. It is rock solid and will do any job asked of it. It is probably overkill, but a tripod (unlike a camera) is for life. The Gitzo Travellers - there are variants - are more portable, but inevitably there is some compromise. Any tripod with a centre column must be less rigid than one without, and if you extend a Traveller to full height the last set of legs you unlock will look pretty thin. In many circumstances lightness counts, and if you do a lot of hiking these are the compromises that will make carrying the thing in the first place bearable.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
jeallen01
Posted 06/12/2014 - 16:08 Link
4 travel tripods in AP that came today.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.