Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Some thoughts from Japan

roberrl
Posted 01/04/2017 - 10:57 Link
Just returned from 2 weeks holiday in Japan with a few thoughts about Pentax and its place.
1. At least in the Bic Cameras store in Shinjuku the KP is a hit. Only had a quick try and prefer the ergonomics of my K-S2.
Comment Image

Pentax had a significant display area here and at other stores which I had time to visit during a busy schedule.
2. Saw almost no Pentax cameras on the streets and at sights with the notable exception of Kyoto Railway Museum. I am at a loss to explain this.
3. Although there were people with DSLRs and mirrorless by far the most common image capturing device was a smart phone. In fact it was quite common to see people wearing/carrying a more sophisticated device but still using their phone.

Sadly my Q7 had a close encounter with a Tokyo pavement and began to exhibit some random behaviour so I will have to buy a new travel body before my next trip.
1stEverPentax
Posted 01/04/2017 - 11:35 Link
No surprise that the image taken by the Pentax (i'm assuming) is of a low light city scene whilst both Canikon cameras feature 'action' / movement shots ! The Canon being the more challenging shot than the Nikon one arguably...all fits the established stereotypes. Is that the way the different brands are actively marketed in Japan I wonder?

Interesting perspective anyway...thanks for the input.

Karlo
08tiger
Posted 02/04/2017 - 09:02 Link
You can buy Nikon/cannon cameras in just about any electrical store in Australia but you wont find a pentax anywhere much
C&C welcome.
Don.
tperris
Posted 02/04/2017 - 17:56 Link
Back here in the UK, I attended an organised shoot yesterday via the excellent Timeline Events at the Black Country Living Museum in the Midlands. Maybe 50-60 people in the group. I did not see one other Pentax user apart from myself, mostly Canon/Nikon . Couple of thoughts: 1. Why do they shoot mostly static subjects as if they were shooting an F1 race? 2. Starting to prefer my KS2 to K3- ergonomics better for me. 3. Timeline are a brilliant outfit- absolutely endorse them.
Chrism8
Posted 02/04/2017 - 18:38 Link
Fully agree on the unnecessary need to machine gun static targets, I did a shoot with some static aircraft recently and experienced exactly the same thing, along with other shoots I've done either organised or not.

The great thing with the aircraft shoot was along with myself, there were 4 other Pentax shooters there as well, with a similar number of togs overall
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
StephenHampshire
Posted 03/04/2017 - 18:16 Link
tperris wrote:
Back here in the UK, I attended an organised shoot yesterday via the excellent Timeline Events at the Black Country Living Museum in the Midlands. Maybe 50-60 people in the group. I did not see one other Pentax user apart from myself, mostly Canon/Nikon . Couple of thoughts: 1. Why do they shoot mostly static subjects as if they were shooting an F1 race? 2. Starting to prefer my KS2 to K3- ergonomics better for me. 3. Timeline are a brilliant outfit- absolutely endorse them.

I normally see a couple of other Pentax shooters on Timeline Events events...on other photo charters I have seen upto 4 other Pentax shooters, including one regular who has a film Pentax and a digital Pentax side by side on a homemade frame and shoots simultaneously
laurayu3
Posted 28/06/2017 - 08:28 Link
Nice camera.
davidtrout
Posted 28/06/2017 - 10:49 Link
I'm a member of Durham Photographic Society which has more than 100 members. While the majority are 1,Canon and 2, Nikon users there are at least 7 or 8 other Pentax users here (three of us are members of PUF) which seems to reflect the average position Pentax hold with the other two in international sales.
Interestingly a lot of my camera club friends have been downsizing to mirror-less cameras, most notably Olympus, over the last year or so, jettisoning their great heavy full frame Canon and Nikon gear because of weight issues. And just when Pentax are seriously getting into the full frame game.
David
Edited by davidtrout: 28/06/2017 - 10:51
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 29/06/2017 - 09:11 Link
Funnily enough, I also just got back (a week ago) from a couple of weeks in Japan.

I went into a few of the big camera shops and Pentax always seemed to have a decent area with pretty much the whole range, cameras and lenses, on display and available in stock. All the display cameras I tried had charged batteries and the security on items allowed swapping to try things out. I did see a few Pentax cameras out and about, including a K3 with a 31mm limited on it. I think that's the only time I've ever seen another limited lens in the wild (on that trip I was shooting mainly with my DA limiteds - 15, 21, 35 and 70).

I was struck by the number of mirrorless users in Japan, especially the Fuji X system (which is wonderful but expensive), Olympus m4/3 (almost never Panasonic) and especially Sony A7s. Fast primes also seemed more common than here in Europe, where I rarely see anything that isn't a kit lens.

While it's very clear that mirrorless is the future of photography, in Japan they seem to embrace that much more than here in Europe, where people still think that for a camera to be good it needs to be BIG.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.