Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Some portraits for critique

ChrisA
Posted 05/05/2007 - 15:29 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Also, perhaps it could be a little brighter with slightly increased contrast?

Thanks for your comments, Dan. How's this for comparison?

Comment Image

Thanks too to George and John.

I'm exhausted now... this stuff is difficult !
johnriley
Posted 05/05/2007 - 15:39 Link
It's getting better. I think the next session can build on this very well. Try to get as much as possible right at the taking stage and that will serve you well.

I'm struck that there is very little depth of field in your shots. Using flash does have the benefit of enabling use of smaller apertures, although in general I prefer natural light where possible.

What aperture and shutter speed were you using?
Best regards, John
George Lazarette
Posted 05/05/2007 - 15:43 Link
Chris,

Just to be brutally frank, for a moment, I have to say that these pictures are not sharp enough to be worth spending too much more effort on.

Get the girl back, and shoot some more, making sure that your focus is correct (or are you using a Canon lens?).

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Don
Posted 05/05/2007 - 15:45 Link
Even when you are practicing, you'll find that you can achieve very different looks, with the same images.
Here's a couple of practice shots Gerri and I Worked on.
We collaberated on the setup, took the same shot into seperate workstations and came back with very different images...
Which do you like?
Personally, I'm going to rearrange the props for when the customer asks for this type of shot, but two different photographers will see the same scene very differently!
Comment Image

Comment Image
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
ChrisA
Posted 05/05/2007 - 15:52 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Just to be brutally frank, for a moment, I have to say that these pictures are not sharp enough to be worth spending too much more effort on.

I agree. For that last one I was just seeing what I could do in response to Dan's comment about contrast, really.

johnriley wrote:
I'm struck that there is very little depth of field in your shots.... What aperture and shutter speed were you using?

Well that last one (which was very typical) was 1/20s at F4.5 at 130mm with the 75-300 FAJ.

I guess I need to get into flash a bit. I've no experience with it, other than for snaps.
justgetoutandride
Posted 05/05/2007 - 16:43 Link
Have you changed this image order on here? I'd swear it was image 3 i was talking about, anyway, it's this one I mean.

Comment Image

of the changed images i prefer the new 'blue-er' image to the original.

I think.... I'll go back to shooting at rats now.
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
johnriley
Posted 05/05/2007 - 16:46 Link
Quote:
Well that last one (which was very typical) was 1/20s at F4.5 at 130mm with the 75-300 FAJ.

That explains it. The lens you are using is not at its best wide open, so sharpness and contrast will suffer. DOF will be very small, hence my previous comment. At 1/20 sec the slightest shake will spoil the sharpness as well, not only camera shake but also movement of the model.

With studio flash you would have achieved an exposure of maybe f8 or even f11 and the shutter speed would have been the speed of the flash, so no movement there.

This leads me to think though that the light was also quite low, so if you are using available light in this way it might be better on a brighter day.

You can see the difference more "bite" gives in the other shots that have been posted, not just mine, so keep working at it and you'll get there.

If you have access to a Camera Club maybe they do portrait sessions for beginners. We do at ADAPS all the time and those nights are very, very popular. They are aimed at beginners and more experienced members help to guide people as needed.
Best regards, John
ChrisA
Posted 05/05/2007 - 17:16 Link
justgetoutandride wrote:
Have you changed this image order on here? I'd swear it was image 3 i was talking about, anyway, it's this one I mean.

Nope. I deliberately put the unsharpened one (the one with the head tilt) in last of the three.

Quote:

of the changed images i prefer the new 'blue-er' image to the original.

Hmm. Only the original three have the blue cast. The background was white, not blue - I thought I'd sorted that out in the later edits.

johnriley wrote:
Quote:

That explains it. The lens you are using is not at its best wide open, so sharpness and contrast will suffer. DOF will be very small, hence my previous comment. At 1/20 sec the slightest shake will spoil the sharpness as well, not only camera shake but also movement of the model.

Indeed. I was conscious of this at the time. Thanks for the suggestion re the camera club, and the flash. I'll have another go at some point.
Don
Posted 05/05/2007 - 18:12 Link
Chris, as a constructive criticism, may I suggest you ask your model to pull her shoulders back a bit, straighten her back, pull in her stomach, and push her (Front) up and out a bit?
Beautiful girl, but your next shot(everything else being the same) will look better if you coax her into a better posture.
one technique I use is this:
(practice on yourself till it makes sense)
Exhale all the air in your lungs.
Make a motion like you're inhaling, but instead of drawing in air, pretend to block off your airway in the back of your throat, and pretend you are inhaling your stomach, pulling it into your chest cavity, instead of air into your lungs.
You will automattically straighten your back, pull up your shoulders, slim your waist and push out your chest.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/05/2007 - 19:15 Link
Hi Chris,

I like the shallow depth of field - it helps concentrate the viewer on the eyes, too much in focus and your eye ends up wandering all over the place looking at detail in clothing etc. Your style gives a more immediate connection with the model, as far as I'm concerned.

Just need to get the eyes sharp - I'd say keep going with the window light for the time being, perhaps just a bit nearer the window! Get the shutter speed up and perhaps close the lens down a stop to improve it's sharpness.

Hope you don't mind, but I had a little play with the image I like, just to show you what I was thinking when I said brighter and more contrast.

Original
Comment Image

Altered
Comment Image

I think the image (either one) has a fresh, airy look to it. Definitely one of the best portraits I've seen on here (IMHO), just needs to be sharp!

Keep it up!
Dan

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.