Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sigma 8-16 v Samyang 10mm

cvhennessy
Posted 12/05/2014 - 20:21 Link
Hi. I've got a Sigma 10-20 f4 currently on a K3 but have been less than universally impressed with the image quality especially at the 10 mm end. I wondered whether anyone has had a chance to use the Samyang 10mm and what the image quality is from it? Has anyone got any opinions on the Sigma 8-16mm as well?
Posted 12/05/2014 - 21:40 Link
There is no Sigma 10-20 f4 is there?

I think the Samyang 10mm is still too new that it hasn't reached a lot of places. I haven't seen any in depth reviews on it yet.
Spider-Man
Posted 21/06/2014 - 14:34 Link
Hi, I've got the Sigma 8-16mm and use it with my K30. I think it's a great lens, the 8 mm end just provides you with a fantastic field of view that next to no other lens can produce. Sure there are other ultra wide angle Lenses around but by the time you get to 8mm, most of then are fisheye lens.

I enjoy using it for architectural shots, where you can use the ultra wide field of view to capture shots that nobody else can.
I feel like it gives you the ability to warp space! I'll try and upload some shots later that I've taken with it.

Regards,
Peter Parker
It's not the strongest species that survive, nor is it the most intelligent. It is those most adaptable to change.
McGregNi
Posted 21/06/2014 - 15:19 Link
The Samyang 10mm review is up over at Pentaxforums . Looking very good, they say it doesn't disappoint in the IQ department, which appears to be a match for the highly regarded 14mm in their range.

Main difference I noted is that it is APS-C only (14mm is FF) and a bit more plastic in the construction, but still very solid and professional.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
aliengrove
Posted 21/06/2014 - 15:34 Link
I have both the Sigma 10-20 and 8-16, and the 8-16 is a much better lens imo. I love the really wide view at 8mm, and it's sharper than the 10-20 from 10-16mm. The inability to fit filters is an issue for some, but it really brings out the blue of skies well, so for me filters are not an issue, and a polariser wouldn't work well with such a wide angle anyway.

Pentax cameras don't record focal lengths below 10mm, so if you want to use lens corrections below 10mm, you have to modify the exif using ExifToolGui or similar.

A few shots from the 8-16mm. The last one would have had a beige sky with any other lens.

Comment Image
[/url]Petronas Towers

Comment Image
[/url]Stairway

Comment Image
The office

Comment Image
[/url]IMGP7277
Edited by aliengrove: 21/06/2014 - 15:44
Posted 21/06/2014 - 22:08 Link
I have to admit not been drawn towards an ultrawide but the cockpit shot (for me anyhow) is the one that shows what they are capable of.

I was supposed to be saving for a mac next, not more lenses is there anyway to hide threads
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone
jane7l
Posted 22/06/2014 - 21:56 Link
http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=407

good lens, but apparently has the same problem as your sigma...
pentax k7 + grip, mz-5n, da 15/4 ltd, revuenon 55/1.2, falcon 8/3.5 fisheye, leica m7, 50/2, 90/2.8, voigtlander 15/4.5, 35/2.5
Transit
Posted 23/06/2014 - 11:12 Link
Spider-Man wrote:
Hi, I've got the Sigma 8-16mm and use it with my K30. I think it's a great lens, the 8 mm end just provides you with a fantastic field of view that next to no other lens can produce. Sure there are other ultra wide angle Lenses around but by the time you get to 8mm, most of then are fisheye lens.

I enjoy using it for architectural shots, where you can use the ultra wide field of view to capture shots that nobody else can.
I feel like it gives you the ability to warp space! I'll try and upload some shots later that I've taken with it.

Regards,
Peter Parker

Plus one on that
The 8-16 is a very good lens, amazingly sharp for so wide.
at both ends too. I sold an excellent DA14 to get it.
Just doing some real estate shots for a friend, inside, outside house and gardens, several stunning shots thanks to this lens, I'm just the mug getting the verticals in line

Only downside is Pencoh don't provide exif support under 10 but there are various work arounds
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Edited by Transit: 23/06/2014 - 11:17
Spider-Man
Posted 23/06/2014 - 19:55 Link
Comment Image

This first shot is Barnstaple Library from about 25 feet away at the 16mm end of the zoom.

The second shot is taken 4 feet from the corner of the building (where the blond haired woman with the light blue jeans is standing in the first photo) at the 8mm end, with some post processing for perspective correction in PSE 11. The edges of the building still aren't 100% parallel! but they are better than as shot. This shot demonstrates the creatively this Lens can give you, i.e. making a normal unremarkable building look quite extraordinary.

Comment Image
It's not the strongest species that survive, nor is it the most intelligent. It is those most adaptable to change.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.