Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photographer's protest

Photomonk
Posted 23/01/2010 - 13:06 Link
As an outsider, this is one of the reasons why maybe photo-tourists may be avoiding the UK. I know I have not had to worry about any of these issues when I have shot in Europe. BBC article

The Photomonk
techno-terminator
Posted 23/01/2010 - 13:23 Link
OK - I've not yet had my Pentax with me in London - BUT I've felt uncomfortable enough at times when on foot , pulling out the now defunct Kodak and finding people looking hard at me.

I can wander round Glasgow happily, complete with camera - and I see many tourists doing the same , and in Edinburgh too .

OK there are 'sensitive' sites in London - but they have got to allow tourists , and other people, a chance to get pictures too . It's part of the fun / attraction of being away from your normal habitat.

I've a lovely pic of the Police HQ in a town in Luxembourg - try that in London ?? - betcha the inhabitants would be out in seconds flat .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
bretti_kivi
Posted 23/01/2010 - 13:49 Link
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
techno-terminator
Posted 23/01/2010 - 15:11 Link
Yes Bret , but these incidents are, I understand, still happening .

The information does seem to have filtered down to Police Officers , but it's the ones who are not Police who seem to be the ones causing the problems - security personnel etc .

And I have to say that if I were approached by a Police Community Support Officer , who was chewing all the while on his Chewing gum I would not be thrilled at his less than courteous attitude .

laurencea
Posted 23/01/2010 - 15:30 Link
i was there today and met two fellow pentaxians. got to handle a k-7 too!

cheers if the people i met are on here.
Pentax k1000, MX, ME Super, K5iiD 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.
techno-terminator
Posted 23/01/2010 - 15:37 Link
Was there a good presence ?

OH - any problems with the errr law ?

laurencea
Posted 23/01/2010 - 15:39 Link
a pretty good turn out, only problem was the light was terrible!
Pentax k1000, MX, ME Super, K5iiD 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.
mikew
Posted 23/01/2010 - 21:05 Link
Quote:
OK - I've not yet had my Pentax with me in London - BUT I've felt uncomfortable enough at times when on foot , pulling out the now defunct Kodak and finding people looking hard at me.

Quite the reverse for me. I get the camera out locally and I will attract a little attention but in London no-one seems to care as they accept other people's antics more readily. Then again I have only visited a few times so maybe I have been lucky. I can stand and photograph a wall, hoarding, window, people in London and no-one bothers but do that locally in a small town and someone will ask what you're doing.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/01/2010 - 11:49 Link
Photomonk wrote:
As an outsider, this is one of the reasons why maybe photo-tourists may be avoiding the UK.

Are photo-tourists really avoiding the UK? I would be surprised if this were actually true. It would be particularly ludicrous if US citizens were afraid of OUR police force.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
patrickt
Posted 24/01/2010 - 14:02 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Photomonk wrote:
As an outsider, this is one of the reasons why maybe photo-tourists may be avoiding the UK.

Are photo-tourists really avoiding the UK? I would be surprised if this were actually true. It would be particularly ludicrous if US citizens were afraid of OUR police force.

I tend to agree. I'm a U.S. citizen living in Mexico but I wouldn't be detered from visiting Great Britain or England because of a problem with taking photos. There are things that would concern me but that's not one of them.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.