Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax; the book.. possibly a film later..

LiamD
Posted 21/12/2006 - 19:02 Link
Hi all,

I had an idea, which is always a bad thing..

How about this forum getting together and writing and publishing a Pentax specific book. This could include history, equipment, lessons.. well everything you can think of to do with owning and using a Pentax camera.

We can write a book and if it's at least passable these days, there are publishers that will publish for free, albeit for I assume a higher % of the take. I think we've got regular members here that have the knowledge to cover most, if not all the info that would be needed to make a complete Pentax anthology. I had a quick look and there are 50 people that have posted 50 times or more and newer regular contributers who'll be there soon enough. 180 pages at an average of 3 pages per member won't be too high a mountain to climb, and with the magazine, I assume we have copywriters, editors etc. to call on for expertise in publishing and stuff..

Six months to get it together and roll it out for the summer. Might even make a couple of quid for the site.. or an absolute fortune for all of us.. K1Ds and a full set of *Ltds all round...

Just an idea, but a good one???????????

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Don
Posted 21/12/2006 - 19:08 Link
interesting idea.
I vote for a softcover ( I tend to aggrevate people and hard cover books can hurt).
How 'bout a podcast to go with that?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Ammonyte
Posted 21/12/2006 - 20:26 Link
ditto, however with all those contributors I can already hear teams of lawyers starting to prepare their royalty cases!
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
kcmadr
Posted 21/12/2006 - 20:55 Link
Ok then.

Make it royalty free, no exceptions. All proceeds to be divvied up proportionately between the contributors according to their contributions.
Voluntary only. No big fat paychecks for anyone = no big fat lawyers either.

"I say the only way to make politicians honest is to take away their salaries."
LiamD
Posted 21/12/2006 - 21:07 Link
That sounds okay..

Everyone who contributes, first has to sign an agreement to that effect or something. We've got hundreds of members.. no solicitors (attorneys) anywhere?

How about Matt and John as editors in chief. There's not much they don't know between them.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Ammonyte
Posted 22/12/2006 - 12:20 Link
By a strange co-incidence, my other xmas present to me (after the K10D) arrived this morning. It was the Ephotozine book "Guide to Great Photography" http://www.guidetogreatphotography.co.uk/ which includes a vast range of input from ephotozine members, which is probably a superset of the members of this forum. Have a look at that first and make sure you are not re-printing the wheel (to mix metaphors!)
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.