Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K5IIs, how good then?

jules
Posted 13/06/2013 - 13:04 Link
Ok just read John's review and I have to say I'm salivating!
Anyone add any more, though I think it's a forgone conclusion as to what I'm going to get?
Just need to unload that Damn Nikon now...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 13/06/2013 - 13:04
MattMatic
Posted 13/06/2013 - 14:01 Link
Needless to say, I love using the K5IIs
Zero camera-envy since using it... well, nearly zero

I would add that using LR along with the QPcard 203 has enabled me to produce a lighting specific Lightroom Profile that gives much better colour rendition, and far less gamut clipping in the reds Generally I use just one custom profile taken under cloudy conditions.

Focus accuracy is vastly improved compared to the original K5 - especially in seriously low light.

If you're ever south of London, I have a growing collection of 18x12" prints if you want to see any!

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
bettyswolloks
Posted 13/06/2013 - 15:15 Link
The IIs is a fantastic thing, had mine since November and I'm still getting blown away daily by its ability
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Fletcher8
Posted 13/06/2013 - 16:03 Link
I have just photographed Bramham International Horse Trials and have some ingages going to publication, so I think this proves the camera is cabale of capturing images on par with the well known other two brands of camera. The AF-C focus is working really well and I am getting images that I would not have been able to get with the original K5. If I am able to compete against cameras costing 3 to 4 times the price of a K5lls,and purchase quality glass for less, Its a win win situation for me personally.
Fletcher8.
senn
Edited by senn: 13/06/2013 - 18:01
jules
Posted 13/06/2013 - 18:50 Link
Not sceptical at all Senn, just need to decide between the II and the IIs.
So everyone, Have you managed to find Moire??? From what I've read it's not much of an issue? Just want to garner opinions and the thoughts that went into their decisions... Although I'd like to end up with both I think.
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
bettyswolloks
Posted 13/06/2013 - 18:59 Link
I've only encountered moiré a couple of times, and even then it wasn't an issue. Don't give it a 2nd thought as I don't and I'm sure the other owners will agree its not an issue.
If you buy a II, you'll always be thinking about the IIs, but if you buy the IIs you wont give the II a 2nd thought Mate
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Chrism8
Posted 13/06/2013 - 19:08 Link
[quote: Don't give it a 2nd thought as I don't and I'm sure the other owners will agree its not an issue.[/quote]

Yep, totally agree
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Edited by Chrism8: 13/06/2013 - 19:08
Fletcher8
Posted 13/06/2013 - 19:12 Link
Jules

I have not seen any Moire in any of the images i have taken so far, but to be honest I have not gone out of my way to look for or should I say search for it. what I can say is the quality of the images the K5lls is producing is amazing and for the photography I am currently taking, I a more than happy.
Fletcher8.
AlJones2402
Posted 13/06/2013 - 20:18 Link
On the subject of the K5iis.

Is there a vast improvement from the K5 in the Auto Focus Continuous with this focus tracking facility that is suposed to track the subject even if it moves away from a dedicated focus point?

Was just wondering if anyone has had hands on experience with Low Flying Aircraft, panning with jets etc?

Thanks
Fletcher8
Posted 13/06/2013 - 21:06 Link
Rob

I have shot to international equine events with the K5lls using AF-C and the focus tracking feature, it works well, not Nikon D4 wise but I have had more keepers using the focus tracking feature. Focus wise personally I think it is a big improvement from the original K5.
Fletcher8.
davidstorm
Posted 13/06/2013 - 22:00 Link
Jules, I use my K-5iis alongside my K-5 mk1 in a variety of shooting situations and often swap lenses over between the two, so I think I'm in a fair position to judge. A lot of the comparison work has been at weddings, which are a stern test of image quality, focussing ability (often in low light) and general ability to shoot 'keepers'. At weddings I've found as follows:

- K-5iis is definitely a step up in IQ. A lot of people have commented here and in other places that they can see very little difference in images shot with a K-5 compared to a K-5iis. Problem is, most of these people haven't owned one or made prints from one. Images from the iis leap off the screen or the printed page - it's not just the sharpness - they just look better in every way.

- Moire is not a problem in real world shooting. Haven't noticed anything significant yet

- K-5iis is a far more reliable focusser, but this would also apply to a K-5ii versus a mk1

For landscapes I think the same things apply, but moire is even less of an issue for this type of shooting. If I were buying another body today it would definitely be a iis.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 13/06/2013 - 22:01
cabstar
Posted 13/06/2013 - 22:18 Link
I have the II and the IIs will have to drip on price considerably before I buy one. My mki warranty rubs out soon so it looks like a second mkii for me, I just cannot justify the extra cost for such an insignificant difference.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Smeggypants
Posted 13/06/2013 - 23:08 Link
cabstar wrote:
I have the II and the IIs will have to drip on price considerably before I buy one. My mki warranty rubs out soon so it looks like a second mkii for me, I just cannot justify the extra cost for such an insignificant difference.

Exactly. The better AF on the K-5II is attractive though. However I would expect that to follow into the next Flagship Petnax DSLR, which surely be only a few months away?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
davidstorm
Posted 13/06/2013 - 23:16 Link
How do you know this Smeggy? I've owned and used both for an extended period and the difference is bigger than you may think. Ask anyone who's had, or has both cameras.

I'm getting a bit bored with people claiming there's little difference when they haven't used the K-5iis, or at least haven't owned it; it's a bit like saying you don't like the taste of certain food when you haven't ever eaten it.

I'm probably as bored in fact with unfounded speculation that it's no better than you are with people who are saying it is better.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.