Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How useful are....

Mannesty
Posted 13/08/2010 - 01:21 Link
Oggy wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
I use a hood, always. Other manufacturers, like Canon, don't supply hoods with any of their lenses.

Depends where you buy from.

Does it? So where can you buy Canon branded lenses with UK warranty with hoods included by Canon (not the dealer)?

Oggy wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
Is it because their glass doesn't need one? Of course not, it's to make more money for Canon.

Oh dear. You have got it bad.

I don't have anything bad, whatever 'it' is. I like Canon cameras, some of 'em anyway. I like Canon glass too. But I really like Nikon kit. My next system will most likely be a FF body from Canon or Nikon together with a couple of good fast zooms covering the 24mm to 200mm range because I think Pentax will continue to disappoint us on the AF issues surrounding their bodies and SDM lenses, particularly in low, but otherwise usable, light.

Oggy wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
Pentax supplies hoods with most of their lenses, with the exception of the AL (budget) range to keep the cost down.

Correct. Oh, and their FA50s

I'd forgotten about that one.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Smeggypants
Posted 13/08/2010 - 02:05 Link
terje-l wrote:
Lens hoods are essential, both for mechanical protection and to avoid flare. At all times!

I really like flare. I've never seen a shot I've taken with flare and wished it wasn't there.

I agree on the mechanical protection though. I oughta use the hood on my Sigma 135-400 though as it's always hanging off my 2nd body strapped off my shoulder as I'm using the 1st body with the wide-zoom lens on
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
flossie
Posted 13/08/2010 - 08:27 Link
Simples - if you want to look like a "pro", put a hood on. If you want to look like a tourist, don't.

(daft as this may sound, its true...)

p.s. more seriously...

A hood makes a noticeable difference even when it isn't sunny or there aren't overhead lights - light bounces all over the place, it just takes a bit of haze out of the image...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Edited by flossie: 13/08/2010 - 08:27
johnriley
Posted 13/08/2010 - 08:41 Link
But don't put a lens hood on in reverse and then leave it there....
Best regards, John
Pentaxophile
Posted 13/08/2010 - 08:56 Link
...the photographic equivalent of a reverse baseball cap
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Hardgravity
Posted 13/08/2010 - 09:21 Link
Not sure I follow the 'protection' statement.

For protection I usually keep the camera in a case, nowadays I don't even use a daylight filter on the front of a lens, that, though, is a different discussion.

Surely anything that makes a lens longer is going to increase the chance of damage.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
thoughton
Posted 13/08/2010 - 10:44 Link
They're just saying that if you drop the camera lens downwards the hood will take the brunt of the impact (instead of the lens).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Hardgravity
Posted 13/08/2010 - 10:58 Link
I understand that thoughton, but should that happen then I'd be looking at an insurance claim.

Hood or not in that situation there would , more than likely' be more serious damage to the lens, mount and body.

The lens hoods I have feel flimsy and as though they'd offer minimal, if any, impact protection.

But as I said earlier, I'm in a minority on this one.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
thoughton
Posted 13/08/2010 - 12:13 Link
Agreed on the insurance claim, but I also tend to think that in the event of dropping your camera lens down the flimsy plastic hoods would cushion the impact better (by virtue of snapping and absorbing much of the kinetic energy) than a rigid metal hood would. Same principle as car crumple zones I believe.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Daniel Bridge
Posted 13/08/2010 - 12:31 Link
You might be hopping over a barbed wire fence. Whilst you concentrate on keeping 'things' clear, you may forget about your camera swinging about on its strap. Much better that the lenshood scrapes across those barbs than the front element of your lens...

I've dropped my camera with the 50mm lens on, and a small hood. The camera was fine, the lens was fine, even the hood was fine, although it did pop off the lens. If I hadn't had it there, I may well have damaged the lens. I could then have not had a lens to use for the rest of the day, and then had all the hassle of making an insurance claim. I know which is easier for me - put a hood on.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Roscoe
Posted 13/08/2010 - 13:56 Link
Pentax DA 18-55mmII goes into bag with lens on camera and lens hood attached!
Pentax DA 55-300mm goes into same bag with lens on camera, but with lens hood in the reversed position for stowage!
Camera-K20D
Bag-Lowepro Cirrus TLZ25.

Problems what problems?

Kindest regards,

Peter
flossie
Posted 13/08/2010 - 14:17 Link
I also find that a hood saves having to put the lens cap on and off endlessly, especially when walking through waist-high plants!
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
grahamwalton
Posted 13/08/2010 - 14:31 Link
I always use lens hoods and have a bag large enough to keep them attached.
Friendly Regards
Graham
BigJacko
Posted 14/08/2010 - 00:48 Link
flossie wrote:
Simples - if you want to look like a "pro", put a hood on. If you want to look like a tourist, don't.

Pah! You should try living round these parts... *every* bl**dy tourist seems to have a lens-hood on, these days!

johnriley wrote:
But don't put a lens hood on in reverse and then leave it there....

Pentaxophile wrote:
...the photographic equivalent of a reverse baseball cap

Noooo. Don't say that! I do it all the time... it's the only thing I've got left that distinguishes me from the bl**dy tourists!

flossie wrote:
A hood makes a noticeable difference even when it isn't sunny or there aren't overhead lights - light bounces all over the place, it just takes a bit of haze out of the image...

I'm still making my mind up on that score... on bright sunny days, I'd agree without hesitation... but on dull overcast days, I've really not noticed that much difference, tbh. I'm quite prepared to admit that I've not given the testing a long enough time (I only got the hoods last week), and I've not exactly been scientific... but so far, I'm not convinced.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the 'wannabe lookylike pro' tourist who wanders round in the grey gloom with his petal hood on, and his inbuilt flash up and firing (trying to illuminate Pulteney Bridge in broad daylight from 500ft away), is *the* classic DSLR tourist stereotype of the 21st Century. Fill-flash? My backside!

Next to that, I am happy to be quick-swapping lenses in one hand, with the hoods on backwards, photographing (you've guessed it) the tourists themselves. They're my wildlife, round 'ere, y'see!
Neil
≡≡≡≡
Pentax K-x Pentax DA L 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL Pentax DA L 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED Pentax A 50mm f2.0 Pentax AF360FGZ flash Rikenon P 50mm f1.7 Vivitar CF 28mm f2.8 (K02 Komine) Tokina 80-200mm f4 Vivitar MC 2x22 Tele Converter

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas 'Tin-Legs' Bader
Pwynnej
Posted 14/08/2010 - 12:38 Link
davex wrote:
Quote:
and to avoid flare. At all times!

Unfortunately, living in the North West of England one very rarely encounters "flare" conditions.

Would imagine Hardgravity has even less chances to encounter flare

Davex.

HG is from Bradford, which is 40 years behind the rest of the world in fashion stakes, there would be flares everywhere
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.