Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Getting to grips with a K20

Charlotte
Posted 16/09/2012 - 16:25 Link
They're not brilliant I know, 'tis going to take a while to get to know this camera properly.

I've only had it since Thursday and today is the first day I've been able to get out properly with it.

Boring butterflies I'm afraid.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Oh and a bee,
Comment Image

There are more knobs and buttons than on the Kr and I've only just got used to which does what. Hopefully it will all come instinctively as it used to on the kr eventually.

It has also surprised me how I must have allowed for the fact that the kr doesn't show the whole shot in the view finder. As I can see more of the shot through the view finder on the K20 it's taking a while to get the compositions right.

So far I like this camera a lot.

Charlotte x
davidstorm
Posted 16/09/2012 - 16:34 Link
They look pretty good to me Charlotte, especially #1 and #4. Have you given up on the K-r now and sent it back to Amazon, or is this still ongoing?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Charlotte
Posted 16/09/2012 - 16:49 Link
Thanks David,
I'm still trying to get something sorted out about the kr with Amazon. I've got to write to their CEO tomorrow.

This K20 has been donated to me by an extremely generous gentleman - I'm starting to prefer it to the kr actually.

'tis a bit heavy though.
fritzthedog
Posted 16/09/2012 - 16:53 Link
Nicely done Charlotte. the second one especially fo me.

The 20 is a different animal - I went the other way around - K20 to Kr (whilst saving for a K5). Of all my Pentax DSLRs - aside from the K5 - the 20 was certainly my favourite and I still miss it. I am sure you will tame it and turn out some stunning shots with it.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
1stEverPentax
Posted 16/09/2012 - 17:05 Link
Very nice shots Charlotte. Well done.

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome from your dealings with Amazon. I've long been of the opinion that manufacturers should be required to give as standard a warranty of several years on a DSLR costing hundreds of pounds. Seems a retrograde step to me that the cost of the digital equivalent of 35mm SLR is not only substantially more expensive but only lasts about half as long...
Stuey
Posted 16/09/2012 - 19:50 Link
Looks like you have got the hang of it Charlotte - nice shots

I have the K10 and like the weight of it but can see why some may not
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Charlotte
Posted 16/09/2012 - 20:51 Link
Thanks everyone,
I have very tiny wrists Stuey, I'm sure once the muscles have got used to the extra weight I won't notice it any more.

Thanks for your good wishes Karlo, at least I'm not cameraless now though.

Thanks carl,
Is it usual for the k20 to be slow to write to the card. It was fairly instantaneous with the kr but I noticed today that it takes noticeable amount of time on the k20.

Charlotte x
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 16/09/2012 - 21:15 Link
there not brilliant i know They are so much better than i have managed
Defragged
Posted 16/09/2012 - 21:40 Link
You can never have to many butterflies Charlotte and they're never boring. Yours are beautiful. What focal length did you capture these at ?
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Charlotte
Posted 17/09/2012 - 09:59 Link
Thanks Peter, your username made me giggle, that's what I've been saying about the k20 over the last couple of days.

Hi Defragged, Thank you for your kind comments. These were all taken with the DFA 100mm macro lens at various magnification.

Kind regards
Charlotte
fatspider
Posted 17/09/2012 - 10:15 Link
The K20 is cumbersome compared to the Kr, I think you've done well in getting these out of it so quickly, that first shot is a cracker but is it the angle of view or had the poor thing lost an antennae?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Charlotte
Posted 17/09/2012 - 10:22 Link
Thanks Alan,
It's the angle of view, the 'missing' antennae is pointing directly at the camera.

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it - I wouldn't have posted it if I had seen it.

I need to go to the French equivalent of Specs Savers.
tyronet2000
Posted 17/09/2012 - 11:06 Link
Lovely set Charlotte, I would have been very pleased to have taken any of them
Regards
Stan

PPG
Edited by tyronet2000: 17/09/2012 - 11:07
Charlotte
Posted 17/09/2012 - 18:19 Link
Thanks Stan

I love the squirrels on your website - that lens suits you.
fatspider
Posted 17/09/2012 - 20:12 Link
Quote:
I wouldn't have posted it if I had seen it.

That would have been our loss, it's far from perfect but the butterfly itself has been beautifully captured, were this my shot it would be one of those rare occasions when I'd go to town with photoshop on that rather distracting background, I may even be tempted to cheat and copy that other antennae across
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.