Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another Nice Morning!!

matwhittington
Posted 07/03/2010 - 19:01 Link
Hello again all. Another lovely day here in London (although COLD) so I got out early and headed into town to see what I could get with a wide-angle lens. Not quite my natural habitat but I thought I would post a handful and see what you thought. I must confess being in town and having read so much recently I was concerned that I might get approached by a policeman or similar but all was quiet from that point of view.

All shots were taken with the Sigma 10-20mm

First up, a view I get every day on my way to work - One of the King's College buildings from the concrete underpass by the IMAX in Waterloo. I often think about the mixture of stark new(ish) concrete and the older building above. Not sure this has quite worked with the big black areas but there we go - I rather like it. It was very dark and maybe an HDR approach may have been better (if only i'd had a tripod...):
Comment Image

St Pauls and the Millenium Bridge from Bankside:
Comment Image

The London Eye - a real magnet for tourists (understandably):
Comment Image

The Tate Modern at Bankside:
Comment Image

and finally... Hayes Galleria on the South Bank of the Thames at London Bridge:
Comment Image

Hope you like them:. Grateful for any thoughts on these

Best Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link
ems82
Posted 07/03/2010 - 19:04 Link
Lovely set. Not to sure on first one but loving the rest.
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
womble
Posted 07/03/2010 - 19:39 Link
The first one is an interesting idea but I don't think it works (a problem I often suffer from ). I really like the second one but am tempted to cheat and clone out the cranes. The third one I love! Great alternative viewpoint. The last two suffer from what I called the "intermediate converging verticals problem" which is the converging verticals are not not so dramatic to be decidedly deliberate and therefore forgivable, but in evidence enough to be distracting. The BW conversions are spot on though, and the exposure on the last one excellent too. Just an idea, in the last one I would try getting really close to the statue thingy so it dominates the foreground then tilt the camera up so the roofing forms a frame around it. Might work, might not!

BTW If you can take the pictures quickly (the K20 can take bracketed images with one shutter press) you do not need a tripod for HDR as Photomatix will align the images.

best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
matwhittington
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:05 Link
Thanks Emma and Kris. I know what you mean about the converging verticals... sometimes I love them and sometimes not... I have noticed that I tend to use the 10-20 more at the 20mm end I think than the 10, which I guess looks less radical (although obviously not for these shots). I've been trying more and more B/W conversions and they can be quite rewarding I think when I get them right. I like the idea for the picture in Hayes Galleria - I'm sure I'll be back in that neck of the woods soon... It's great to be able to wander through london on a beautiful morning with a camera and find it mostly deserted...

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

bwlchmawr
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:26 Link
The second one is in a class of its own (in my opinion). There's nothing wrong with the others but that shot of St Paul's and the bridge would make a lovely print.

I love London: it's a wonderful city to visit and photograph.

Well done!

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
ems82
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:29 Link
What time did you walk round Mat? Everytime i go its always busy. Only takes me 15min to get there
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
ems82
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:30 Link
Quote:
I really like the second one but am tempted to cheat and clone out the cranes

I actually quite like the cranes in shot
Emma
matwhittington
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:39 Link
I got into Waterloo about 0815, and wandered around until about 1030... By that time the place had filled up a fair bit, especially around the London Eye, but further down the river towards Bankside was still pretty clear. There were a few other people around with their cameras (same idea as me I guess). And a jogger every couple of hundred yards

I've just been playing with some more shots and here's another i rather like of HMS Belfast - which really reminds me of being a young lad - the BEST place to have a day out if you're under ten (and probably pretty cool still I expect...)
Comment Image

Regards

Mat
Mat W

matwhittington
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:41 Link
P.S. Thanks Andrew - you're right about London I think. I just wish I had more spare time to dedicate to ambling about... One day...

Regards

Mat
Mat W

ems82
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:45 Link
Thanks I going to try that I got a weekend off coming up at end of month(a very rare occasion)
Emma
womble
Posted 07/03/2010 - 21:58 Link
Nice shot of Belfast. A piece of trivia for you. On what are the guns of HMS Belfast trained?

Answers on a postcard please.... (and sorry to hijack your thread ).

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
pnjmcc
Posted 07/03/2010 - 22:01 Link
Matt,

The Millenium bridge is my favorite of them all, I do like the eye pic though, a small criticism (very small) is it could've done with a little bit more room at the bottom.

The more I look at pictures taken on a wide angle lens, the more I want one.

Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
ems82
Posted 07/03/2010 - 22:12 Link
Quote:
The more I look at pictures taken on a wide angle lens, the more I want one

..............Tell me about it
Emma
thoughton
Posted 08/03/2010 - 00:39 Link
Nice set! I particularly like the bridge shot, nice one
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
matwhittington
Posted 08/03/2010 - 06:23 Link
Thanks again everyone - Kris, you're going to have to put me out of my misery... I was pondering last night and I reckon the guns are pointing North ish and their range must be 10-20 miles, so that narrows it down to a couple of hundred square miles...

Mat W
Mat W

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.