Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A few from today

derek897
Posted 23/06/2014 - 01:11 Link
These were taken at Mondello Park today, following on from last week,
I think these are better, all taken with K5iis and either Da 60-250mm or an F 28mm
All cc welcome.
(i think )

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
I know what i like, If not always why.
bwlchmawr
Posted 23/06/2014 - 06:23 Link
These are terrific, sharp, colourful and very well presented.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
08tiger
Posted 23/06/2014 - 07:16 Link
Very nice,like the shot of the old rust bucket and the first bike shot.
C&C welcome.
Don.
derek897
Posted 23/06/2014 - 23:40 Link
Just a couple more of The Rust Bucket
It apparently has a 2.2 ltr engine and drives

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
derek897
Posted 23/06/2014 - 23:56 Link
And Finally some bike shots, a big thanks to the very nice people who gave me advice and tips on doing this type of shoot.

Again cc is welcome.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
simonarron
Posted 26/06/2014 - 07:37 Link
Hi Derek

Herewith a bit of C&C, as requested in another thread. All purely subjective (and much of it quite possibly wrong), so you don't have to take any notice...

I've been to Mondello only once, probably about 15 years ago, and was on that occasion behind wheel rather than lens, so I don't know what photographic access is like. There might not be many places that offer a clear shot of the circuit (and a pleasing backdrop), but as a general rule I think it's always best to seek a wide variety of angles rather than one or two corners. Easier said than done, I know, given the proliferation of debris fencing at most tracks. It's sometimes possible to shoot through a fence, though, without it compromising the shot.

These are all crisp and sharp, but if it were me I'd be tempted to crop some of them a little more tightly. As below, for instance (hope you don't mind).

Comment Image

It's important to allow photographs to 'breathe' - and a tiny car can work quite well as a detail in an appropriate landscape - but I think some of these have an excess of asphalt that makes the subject a little too remote. At the same time, for the sake of context it's important not to crop too tightly (that Lola T90 Indycar - #24 in the first batch - for instance).

I like the fact that you've included some paddock clutter - a good habit. I always try to arrive at least an hour before anything happens at a circuit, to allow time for paddock shots (plus coffee, scrambled eggs etc). I don't often post them on here, but they create pleasing snapshots of what will one day feel like the distant past. When I look back at early racetrack shots (mid-1970s, in my case), the road cars and dress sense are at least as interesting as anything with numbers and a rollcage.

Overall I can't see much wrong with your technique - and a nice, sharp pan at 1/100 confirms as much. With panning, I usually default to 1/100 or 1/125, but vary things between 1/60 and 1/250 depending on location and relative performance of whatever happens to be passing. Where possible, I like to find a busy background for panning shots - spectators in brightly coloured clothes can be a useful prop. The shot below was taken at 1/80 at Brands Hatch - it won't be to everyone's taste, but it's what I wanted.

Comment Image

I'm not sure I can offer much practical advice, other than to court diversity... and to keep practising (which we all need). I know you have relatively few permanent facilities on your side of the Irish Sea (and that we're completely spoilt over here), but you have motorcycle road racing (and lots of rallying) by way of compensation...

Cheers, and happy shooting,
SA
derek897
Posted 26/06/2014 - 08:39 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="simonarron"]Hi Derek

Herewith a bit of C&C, as requested in another thread. All purely subjective (and much of it quite possibly wrong), so you don't have to take any notice.

This is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I thought I had to leave an area where the car or bike was heading to as opposed to a tighter crop.
As far Ias I know I will be given accreditation to allow better access next time so I will have a look around for different angles or corners.
Thanks for taking the time look and comment as I really do appreciate it.

(Ye drivers are mad )

Thanks again
Derek
simonarron
Posted 26/06/2014 - 09:57 Link
Hi Derek

Yes, leave some space ahead of the car or bike, but not necessarily too much. Of course, what looks balanced to me might appear lopsided to you, and vice versa. And there's no need to make all of them look exactly the same...

Pleased to hear you're in line for accreditation. I've had the privilege of trackside access since 1980 and it obviously makes a massive difference, but still I tear my hair out (or would, if I had much) when I see some of the stuff that goes on.

In F1, quite a few of the pros operate mostly in machine-gun mode - I pity the poor digital editor who has to sift through frame after frame of more or less the same shot. Equally, when I was at the Cholmondeley Pageant two weeks ago (pics are on here somewhere), I saw one accredited snapper stand in exactly the same spot throughout a one-hour motocross session. It was a good spot, but by no means the only one.

A tabard helps, but is by no means a panacea...
derek897
Posted 26/06/2014 - 10:09 Link
As a complete novice at this sort of thing i take the advice of others with more experience seriously, Its all a learning curve but hopefully with enough practice I'll nearly get there . I have to admit i took hundreds of shots that day.
A tabard helps, but is by no means a panacea...
I saw a couple of togs doing similar on Sunday

I never really thought about what the background was like from where i was shooting so thats something to consider the next time i get to go also.
Thanks for your very friendly and very helpful advice.

Derek
simonarron
Posted 26/06/2014 - 10:45 Link
Hi again Derek

I try to sort out the background before everything else. I don't mind having a few marshals in shot - often they add a certain something, as perhaps in the example below - but I try to avoid sawn-off trees, stray elbows and legs, bits of building and other potential distractions.

Comment Image

Generally, I'll walk at least one full lap of a circuit during the day and, again, a tabard helps because you can cross the track between races to save time.

I look forward to seeing your future endeavours. Any further questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to assist (as, I'm sure, will others with relevant experience - there are a fair few on here).
derek897
Posted 26/06/2014 - 11:09 Link
You have been a minefield of advice and ideas.
Lots for me to think about and do before my next attempt.
You have taken some really cracking shots.
I am looking forward to trying to put your ideas into action at the next outing. (i think its a truck day) Im sure that will throw up some other issues
Thanks again
Derek
simonarron
Posted 26/06/2014 - 11:22 Link
It might.

At some circuits, those with a tabard are not allowed to stay trackside when trucks are on the loose - and even marshals are required to stand behind the debris fencing. Fortunately, though, the cabs are large enough that 250-300mm is sufficient from a long way back...
carmagw
Posted 27/06/2014 - 14:34 Link
Hi Derek, you've certainly got crisp and sharp images and a nice panning technique for the old car (no7), I like the guy pushing his bike along with his feet as its a bit different. Thanks for posting.

Simon has given some great advice there.

Variation is key when posting a number of pictures otherwise the interest is lost after the first couple. I'm off to Silverstone next week for the F1, and tend to walk round the circuit on the Friday and Saturday to make use of the roving grandstand ticket and hopefully vary my pictures as well as take in the sights /people who are there.

Look forward to seeing your next set.

Regards

George
derek897
Posted 27/06/2014 - 16:23 Link
Hi George, i have to admit to the daft thing of staying in one spot. As both yourself and Simon pointed out and makes perfect sense, Move around.
Will try to put the advice i have received to good use next time out. And thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Derek

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.