Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

50 f1.7 Pentax or other with pentax fit

ibcsweb
Posted 15/10/2008 - 09:25 Link
Looking for one with auto focus as it is to use for sport photos in low light and hopefully have a go at some portrait stuff. I am just getting started so please bear that in mind if I ask for something that does not exist or say I will be using ot for the wrong thing. I take constructive critisisum well so when I make a mistake please let me know.
Many thanks all!
Pentax K10D 18-55 Kit Lens, Sigma 70-300, Photoshop CS (for now).
Nimitz
Posted 15/10/2008 - 09:45 Link
You will find two versions FA or F with f1.7 and a 1.4 verison. You can still buy the 1.4 in shops.

It is roughly £150 new.

It is possible to pick them up at ebay around £100 (second hand).

People rarely part with them when first purchased.

Edit: Try take a look here
Others love the older manual focus more (K,M or A models). It all depends on style. For portraits you could use a manual lens just as well.

Just one thing you need to remember using F1.4 or similar. The DOF (the sharp area) will be were shallow. Sometimes people makes mistake thinking the lens is not sharp - it is - but you will notice the sharp area in the shot will be very shallow/limited. Hope that makes sence. Happy hunting - and keep asking.
Edited by Nimitz: 15/10/2008 - 09:52
ibcsweb
Posted 15/10/2008 - 21:11 Link
Nimitz wrote:
You will find two versions FA or F with f1.7 and a 1.4 verison. You can still buy the 1.4 in shops.

It is roughly £150 new.

It is possible to pick them up at ebay around £100 (second hand).

People rarely part with them when first purchased.

Edit: Try take a look here
Others love the older manual focus more (K,M or A models). It all depends on style. For portraits you could use a manual lens just as well.

Just one thing you need to remember using F1.4 or similar. The DOF (the sharp area) will be were shallow. Sometimes people makes mistake thinking the lens is not sharp - it is - but you will notice the sharp area in the shot will be very shallow/limited. Hope that makes sence. Happy hunting - and keep asking.

Thanks fcor the reply but I do not understand about the shallow area of sharp focus. What do you mean by shallow? is it a small area in the centre of a photo or do you mean the object which is focused upon is sharpe and the background is blured?
Dodge
Posted 15/10/2008 - 22:03 Link
This link is for a page that explains the phenomenon called "depth of field" and how it varies with the aperture used.

A "fast" lens is one that has a low "f stop". For example, an f/1.4 lens is faster than an f/2.0, and is a typical fast standard lens aperture.

Hope this helps, and apologies if I've butted in here.
Owned: MX (bought 1980), ME Super, Super A, Optio S4, Espio 120SW (and standby Espio 105SW), Stereo (3D) adaptor, 35-105mm, 70-210mm, 50/1.4, AF200S, AF200T, AF280T.
ibcsweb
Posted 15/10/2008 - 23:05 Link
Dodge wrote:
This link is for a page that explains the phenomenon called "depth of field" and how it varies with the aperture used.

A "fast" lens is one that has a low "f stop". For example, an f/1.4 lens is faster than an f/2.0, and is a typical fast standard lens aperture.

Hope this helps, and apologies if I've butted in here.

Feel free to but. Is shallow focus reffering to depth of field then rather than an area within the frame of the picture which is in focus? Sorry if I seem thick. Its just because I am.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 15/10/2008 - 23:13 Link
Yes, Nimitz was refering to depth of field.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Nimitz
Posted 16/10/2008 - 07:19 Link
I'm glad you got it...

It is hard to understand at first. I know - I had the same learning curve a few years back. Sometimes I still think lenses are faulty - but 99% of the times it is just me....

As long you are aware of the DOF a fast lens is a good choice. Just don't be disappointed if you excpect everything to be pin sharp in F1.4 - because it won't.

The fast lenses are very good at portraits - due to the lovely out of focus area - the Bokeh.

Keep asking - we are here to help!
ibcsweb
Posted 18/10/2008 - 01:36 Link
Many thanks all!
I am joining a local camera club on Wednesday to try and get some face to face help. If some one can physically show me the settings on my camera onsite, then I think I will learn more quickly than using a book or DVD.
Already my pics have been improved by the forum. I have downloaded a trial of silkypics and bougt a zoom lens from SRS. Things are looking up!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.