Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

YARR! Yet Another Ruddy Robin! (4 off)

OldTaffy
Posted 05/06/2016 - 16:10 Link
Four photos taken in the past couple of weeks. Pentax smc DA 55-300mm which I bought from a forum member a long while ago, on a K-S2 which I bought recently from SRS.

I couldn't resist making a record of this appealing bird. This is the male, who has always been pretty tame, gathering breadcrumbs or waiting for a handout by our back door. The pair have now raised two healthy little robins.

Martin

Comment Image
Comment Image
Comment Image
Comment Image
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
RobL
Posted 05/06/2016 - 17:31 Link
Never apologize! These are great images and confirm that the 55-300mm lens is a cracking lens in the right hands.
wvbarnes
Posted 05/06/2016 - 17:53 Link
I'm a big fan of robins. As with all such small birds a delight to photograph with early or late light on them.
OldTaffy
Posted 05/06/2016 - 22:48 Link
Thanks for your approval. The 55-300mm lens is indeed a fine one. I bought it a couple of years or so ago to use with my K-x, but now realise that it merits a better camera. On the K-S2 the detail is phenomenal: one can blow up a JPEG on the screen so that it looks like one has the bird in one's hand under a powerful magnifying glass, the feather and other details are so finely caught.
Just for the record, these four were taken at focal lengths of 135 to 230 mm. I pushed the ISO up to 1600 so that I could use fast shutter speeds (1/500 to 1/2000) at a small enough stop to give me a bit of depth of focus (f/5.6 to f/9.5). I suppose that I should have saved in RAW, because the ones taken in low morning light are a bit bleached-out in the highlights and I have had to fiddle a bit in PSE.

Thanks again for looking .

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
08tiger
Posted 06/06/2016 - 06:53 Link
very nice set, lots of feather detail.
C&C welcome.
Don.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.