Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Where to buy non-DA autofocus lenses (in the UK)?

ZaphodB
Posted 22/11/2006 - 00:40 Link
OK, this is a fairly silly question. Before buying a K100D the majority of my Pentax lenses - including all my primes - were manual. I just preferred focussing manually (and the fact that the lenses cost less didn't hurt either - I tended to buy them second-hand). When I needed autofocus I used a Minolta instead. But now I'm using my K100D much more than film, two factors - the tiny viewfinder and the limited functionality of M-series lenses with the camera - mean I'm looking for autofocus Pentax lenses. I don't really want to buy DA lenses because I usually carry a second film body and wouldn't want to have to carry separate lenses for each. So I'm looking for SMCP-F/FA lenses.

The problem is that I can't actually find any. The local shops I've looked in tend to only stock Tamron and Sigma in K-mount fit, and the branches of Jessops don't sell anything in the K-mount at all! So I google for online stores... and every site I find only sells DA lenses. I understand that the FA series are no longer in production, and Pentax are not quite as widely available as certain other brands, but can't understand why apparently no online retailer sells FA lenses and why they never seem to turn up on Ebay, ever. In particular I'm looking for the FA version of the 50mm f1.4, and can't find it anywhere in the UK even though B&H in the US lists it.

So, does anyone know where I might find non-DA autofocus lenses in the UK, especially primes for 24mm, 28mm or 50mm? Thanks in advance!
Arthur Dent
Posted 22/11/2006 - 03:05 Link
I don't know about availbility, but the FA Limited lenses are still in production, and the FA 50mm f/1.4 is still being produced, although it tends to sell out as soon as it hits the stores.

If you don't mind manual focus, the A lenses do all the things they're supposed to do, but they are not autofocus.
42 Comment Image
Kimbo
Posted 22/11/2006 - 04:59 Link
Goodness, Zaphod Beeblebrox and Arthur Dent together in the same thread!

Stick with eBay, F and FA lenses do crop up from time to time but don't forget that A series lenses will also provide focus confirmation on the K100D (I don't think M series do though).
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
MattMatic
Posted 22/11/2006 - 06:29 Link
SMC-F and SMC-FA lenses do come up on ebay from time to time. I suppose generally people who have them want to keep them Also, with the Pentax DSLRs becoming so popular, second hand lenses are getting more and more difficult to obtain
A couple of users here often ebay stuff: spbatt and spirit_of_will. An SMC-FA 24-90 just went for £256.

That said, www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk have new stock of the SMC-FA 50/f1.4 arriving, listed at £165. They also sell the SMC-A 50/f1.2.

Other places to look:
www.lcegroup.co.uk (though their website can be woefully out of date)
www.mxv.co.uk www.ffordes.co.uk (prices can be high though)

Also, the new SMC-DFA macro lenses will work on all film bodies as they still have an aperture ring, so that adds a 50/2.8 and a 100/f2.8 macro to the list

Of course, you can always ask here which are worth going for, and how much you should expect to pay!

Matt
ZaphodB
Posted 22/11/2006 - 11:22 Link
Thanks for all the suggestions. To be honest I do prefer the A-series; they just have a much better feel to them and I like focusing manually. The problem is I sometimes find it hard to focus manually on the K100d; it's a tiny viewfinder and I wear glasses, and the diopter adjustment can only do so much. So autofocus seems to be the answer.

Having said that, I noticed SRS are also selling one A-series 50mm f1.2... there was a little voice in my head that started trying to rationalise clicking the order button, but fortunately the voice in my other head knew better.

M-series IMO are best avoided for digital use. Unless I've being doing it completely wrong, M lenses require you to hold down the shutter release for metering. I find even using M42 lenses with an adapter much easier - just stop down and it meters no problem.

MattMatic wrote:
Of course, you can always ask here which are worth going for, and how much you should expect to pay!Matt

Right so... which are worth going for, and how much should I expect to pay?

Ideally I'd like a fairly fast autofocus 50mm (or similar) lens for under £200. This probably means the f1.4 FA, although obviously I'm open to suggestions if you think there's something else in the same price range that's a better performer. Basically I'm looking for an AF replacement for my Super Takumar, which is undoubtedly super but also needs an adapter, has a dented filter ring and the yellowing means more PS work.

I'm also after something wider, something more equivalent to a standard lens on 35mm. The focal lengths I used the most in 35mm were 35mm and 50mm, so I guess that means I'm looking for something like a 24mm, 28mm etc. The 31mm Limited would fit the bill, but first I'd have to kill a man for money. So what would you recommend here? I've always found 28mm lenses fairly average performers, but then I've also heard that the 28mm SMC-F is much better than its 24mm equivalent. Anyway I'd prefer a prime, would consider a zoom as long as it's relatively fast and sharp, and about the only thing I've ruled out is any DA lenses that won't work on 35mm (which unfortunately includes the 16-45mm).

So there's your assignment And thanks again for the help!
Do you know where your towel is?
MattMatic
Posted 22/11/2006 - 11:37 Link
Zaphod,
Well, I've had the SMC-F 50/f1.7, SMC-A 50/f1.4, and the SMC-F 50/f1.4.
All brilliant. The 1.7 is very, very sharp and has a great flat field - so it's superb for macro and copy work. The f1.4s are my absolute favourite though, especially for portraiture and low light. Just sublime! Expect to pay about £100.

You don't have to completely rule out the SMC-DA 16-45. On digital it is one of the best lenses I've ever used, and I get to appreciate it more and more. If your film body has "P" or "Tv" mode then you can use it. I've used it on the Z1 without any problems - here's some samples: http://www.pbase.com/mattmatic/smc_da_test
(It was extremely surprising to see how well it performed!)

I haven't shot film for years now, and certainly would seriously consider the current DA lenses if I were you They're as good as some of the old primes, if not better!

Matt
Juno 60
Posted 22/11/2006 - 14:22 Link
ZaphodB wrote:
but then I've also heard that the 28mm SMC-F is much better than its 24mm equivalent

I'm not sure about this - I've read a number of sources that praise the SMC FA 24mm/f2 to the skies and claim that it's the best performer of all the Pentax wide angle primes.

I have a SMC A 24/2.8 which gives me fantastic results and I highly recommend it, but the FA 24/2 is said to be the best wide angle prime Pentax have made.
Arthur Dent
Posted 22/11/2006 - 14:58 Link
ZaphodB wrote:

M-series IMO are best avoided for digital use. Unless I've being doing it completely wrong, M lenses require you to hold down the shutter release for metering. I find even using M42 lenses with an adapter much easier - just stop down and it meters no problem.

Zaphod:

Use your heads! Try pressing the green button in Manual on an M lens, the camera should stop down the lens, take a meter reading, and return to open apeture. Then you take the photo. I know it works that way on the D, and it's been so succcessful that I can't imagine them taking it off the newer cameras.

Since I have some old M and K lenses that I dearly love, I hope the K10D will allow that method. The user's manual seems to indicate that it does, so I'm guessing it will. I know the focus confirmation light works on the D no matter what lens is on it, but I'm going for a Katz Eye screen anyway.

Regards to Marvin! Comment Image
42 Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.