Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

What new toys on your K7 have you found usefull

davex
Posted 12/01/2010 - 22:35 Link
On my K20 i flick the power switch over to get live view, admittedly it`s rubbish, but I just don't see how a separate button is an improvement. Much rather have a WB button.

Davex
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
JonSchick
Posted 12/01/2010 - 22:36 Link
Biggest benefit for me is size and portability - it squeezes the handling and functionality of the K10/20 body into a camera little larger than the ist/K100D series.

After that, a few of the new things I like include:

(1) faster AF and FPS = many more keepers when shooting moving subjects
(2) much better live view implementation - it is now genuinely useful
(3) 100% VF
(4) getting rid of the Fn button to get at key parameters you want to change quickly
(5) much quieter shutter
(6) better implementation of DR enhancement. Separation of highlight and shadow adjustment means it's easier to increase DR without adding too much noise compared to K20D - I leave highlight adjustment switched on but shadow adjustmennt left off, and generally shoot at ISO 200 - it works very well
(7) improved menu system - easier to scroll around than previous models once you've got used to it

All that said, I wouldn't say that image quality is any better than the K20D - you need to upgrade to the K-7 if all the other stuff is important to you; otherwise the earlier bodies really still hold their own incredibly well.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
JonSchick
Posted 12/01/2010 - 22:37 Link
davex wrote:
On my K20 i flick the power switch over to get live view, admittedly it`s rubbish, but I just don't see how a separate button is an improvement. Much rather have a WB button.

Davex

The big advantage is that you can now have the power switch as optical preview (which is what I want most of the time) and still access live view with one button push - rather than digging through the menu system first. The K-7 implementation is much much better.
Jon

amoringello
Posted 12/01/2010 - 22:38 Link
The mirror lockup on the K7 is a true mirror lockup. There is also the 2 second timer but I'm looking forward to trying the mirror lockup in some real world photos.

The lens correction actually works fairly well, although a bit slow. I am also hopeful that Lightroom will get to that soon and avoid the need to do in camera or to jump to Photoshop to fix the images.

I do like the much faster and quieter mirror mechanism. And of course 5+fps is nice. Not really a new function I guess. Still nice...
JonSchick
Posted 12/01/2010 - 22:39 Link
Technoblurb wrote:
Having skipped from K10 to K7 I have not looked very deeply into what functions were on the K20. Your are right Kris to bracket a shot I had to press the shutter for each image.

One thing I have really enjoyed so far is the speed between individual shots, especially when bracketing images. One thing that has driven me round the bend is having to press the OK button before adjusting the selective focus position. I could do this with gloves on with my K10 and in temperatures of -6 I have now suffered for my art.

If you download updated firmware, there is a menu option to change this behaviour. You can now set the camera to use the control pad to change focus points without pushing OK first.
Jon

davex
Posted 12/01/2010 - 22:45 Link
Quote:
still access live view with one button push

It has to be said, live view on K20 is pretty useless, in 1 year and 2000+ shots i think i`ve used it maybe a dozen times. My only problem with the K7 is that it seems so small in my mitts. Now perhaps if i could wrap my K20 body around the K7 i might be interested.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
Technoblurb
Posted 13/01/2010 - 08:43 Link
david1 wrote:
I've looked in the Comet and Currys shop where I live and they don't seem to sell many and the mics that they have got in the shop when I've asked the shop staff if it's compatible with the K7 the staff give me the "dunno know" answer, which is really handy, not! lol

I have had a quick look around and found these two

link

link

Although they may be a bit expensive, you could have a separate recorder and sync the sound later.
doingthebobs
Posted 13/01/2010 - 09:20 Link
You could have a look at Maplin for somthing cheaper in the mocrophone line.link.
Bob
Edited by doingthebobs: 13/01/2010 - 09:20
Greytop
Posted 13/01/2010 - 09:37 Link
JonSchick wrote:
davex wrote:

Davex

The big advantage is that you can now have the power switch as optical preview (which is what I want most of the time) and still access live view with one button push - rather than digging through the menu system first. The K-7 implementation is much much better.

Agreed, I have found that useful.
To be honest live view with the K20D was little more than lip service (a feature rushed in at the last minute by Pentax). Live view with K-7 is now at least level pegging with the competition and is a genuinely useful feature for macro work.
Regards Huw

flickr
david1
Posted 13/01/2010 - 12:01 Link
Thanks for the info re:mics. I've just found this one on play.com and it looks a good mic so I'll probably order this one for the K7.
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9923821/Hama-RMZ14-Stereo-Microph...

Cheers
K5mk.IIs with 17-70mm DA and Sigma 70-300mm DA lenses. Before digital I used the P30T when using Fujichrome Velvia.
RichardDay
Posted 13/01/2010 - 12:15 Link
The Rode on-camera stereo mic is the one that many users (including Ned Bennel, CEO of Pentax USA) find a good choice.
Ned Bunnel K-7 Movie Sound Primer

Rode Stereo Video Mic
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Edited by RichardDay: 13/01/2010 - 12:16
selectcase
Posted 13/01/2010 - 13:13 Link
All of the above really - Going from the K10 to the K7 these additions really make a differance

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
PeteL
Posted 13/01/2010 - 13:15 Link
david1 wrote:
Aha very good that one But I can assure you the Liveview on the K7 is a seriously good new tool. Incidentally can anyone tell me where I can get good external microphone for the K7. I've looked in the Comet and Currys shop where I live and they don't seem to sell many and the mics that they have got in the shop when I've asked the shop staff if it's compatible with the K7 the staff give me the "dunno know" answer, which is really handy, not! lol

This is where i bought my Rode Stereo Mic from, They have several that might be suitable plus Camera mounted lighting which might be a future buy for me! link

Regards - Pete
david1
Posted 13/01/2010 - 13:41 Link
Thanks for the link, I've just ordered the Hama microphone for my K7. http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/hama/hama-rmz14-stereo-microphone/RMZ14.html

I chose this one mainly due to it being more cheaper than the Rode microphone, which is a bit if a cop-out I know, but most of the time I'll be taking stills rather than video with the K7.
K5mk.IIs with 17-70mm DA and Sigma 70-300mm DA lenses. Before digital I used the P30T when using Fujichrome Velvia.
Technoblurb
Posted 13/01/2010 - 22:01 Link
JonSchick wrote:

If you download updated firmware, there is a menu option to change this behaviour. You can now set the camera to use the control pad to change focus points without pushing OK first.

Thanks Jon I am downloading the new firmware and will give that a go.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.