Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

What do Pentax have to do ?....

dangie
Posted 22/12/2006 - 16:19 Link
I've just read a test report on the new Nikon D40 in Practical Photography. They gave it a full five star rating. It's no doubt quite a good camera.
But then another article in the same magazine gave the Pentax K100D a measly three stars, dispite the fact it has more features, excellent performance and be be bought considerably cheaper than the Nikon.
What do Pentax have to do to get the recognition their cameras deserve. It's no wonder newcomers plum for Nikon or Canon with magazine articles so heavily biased towards them.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
kcmadr
Posted 22/12/2006 - 16:43 Link
Pros have to use Pentax. They currently view Pentax as upstarts (stifling laughter).

When pros use Pentax, it will suddenly become a great brand. Those fools out there say if it's not Canon or Nikon, it's rubbish.

I remember the days when public opinion was "you had good gear if you used Pentax".

When I read some of these reviews, I want to grab a big stick and go "clubbing".
Mike Pearson
Posted 22/12/2006 - 16:58 Link
Last evening I was in my local Henry's Camera store picking up some paper supplies. Another chap had just bought a new Epson printer and he was asking my advice on different papers for use with the Ultrachrome inks.

During the conversation he indicated that he started photography with a Pentax LX, which he eventually sold for what he paid for it. He went to Canon film cameras, because of advertising, and also bought a selection of Canon lenses. When he decided to go digital he found that none of his lenses were compatible with the Canon Digital SLR's he was looking at (have we heard this before).

Then, based solely on advertising, he purchased a Nikon D70 and eventually a couple of lenses. He has now seen the latest Pentax digital offerings, K100D, K110D and K10D and wished he had gone back to Pentax.

I have used Pentax now for 35 years and wouldn't change at all.

But, and it is a big but, Pentax have a long way to go to match the massive Canon and Nikon advertising budgets. It's not just at the high end but at the entry level that they have mass advertising and "specials". Although in all fairness I have seen more Pentax advertising in the last month than ever.

Thanks for listening and all the best for the holidays.

Mike
dangie
Posted 22/12/2006 - 17:30 Link
Mike
You may have hit the nail on the head quoting advertising budgets. Magazines aren't going to bite off the hand that feeds them.
Store advertising in the magazines is not blameless either. It's usually Nikon, Canon a bit of Sony & Olympus, but little Pentax.
I don't know why this is? But one thing for sure, is that without advertising exposure the demise of Pentax, particurally in the DSLR market may not be too far away.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Dwight-Morton
Posted 22/12/2006 - 21:54 Link
Pentax *DSL2 with 18-55 and 50-200 mm glass

Pentax Beam Spiller along with Pentax Stereo Viewer II

Pentax System 10 with 24 glass

along with numerous filters by Pentax from my Grandfather collection of the 1960's and 70s.
Mike Pearson
Posted 22/12/2006 - 21:59 Link
Dwight,

Great to know I'm not the only Hamiltonian on here.

Cheers,

Mike
golfdiesel
Posted 22/12/2006 - 22:19 Link
in terms of marketing budgets the merger with Hoya could be key in getting a larger budget.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Arthur Dent
Posted 24/12/2006 - 02:24 Link
Plus the decision (buried in the report) to concentrate on the "high end" for the imaging division (medical and cameras).
42 Comment Image
fatspider
Posted 24/12/2006 - 14:50 Link
Has anyone ever seen a Pentax DSLR on offer as the prize in a photo mag competition?

What would it cost Pentax? one measly camera and a couple of lenses, I dont suppose the mags buy all the Canon gear they offer as prizes year after year after year!

C'mon Pentax, just one camera and lens bundle, it'll cost you an awful lot less than any of your other advertising.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Paulypentax
Posted 18/01/2007 - 00:03 Link
To you Hamiltonian's. I must say i have quite a few good pictures from the Hamilton harbour taken with my istD out of my kayak. Can't wait till spring to use my K10 with the stabalizer!!!!!
johnriley
Posted 18/01/2007 - 08:07 Link
Quote:
Has anyone ever seen a Pentax DSLR on offer as the prize in a photo mag competition?

Yes, and quite a big name magazine too, but unfortunately I can't remember which one!
Best regards, John
Pwynnej
Posted 18/01/2007 - 09:33 Link
johnriley wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and quite a big name magazine too, but unfortunately I can't remember which one!

My first Pentax was a prize in a PP monthly competition.

I didn't win it but bought it from the winner - a Z-10, he was a Canon user and I was already into K-mounts with my Chinon CP7m. That was 15 years ago....

It's all about Perception, Canon and Nikon users are like BMW drivers - they adopt the principle called TINA - there is no alternative

Also a lot of misinformation gets fed on the forums from Canon users who think the K10D is 6MP and the only thing going for it is its price. And I can't believe how many Canon owners don't know their own kit.

I have a clutch of Pentax's and a Saab because I know what's good for ME

Spread the message
ChrisA
Posted 18/01/2007 - 10:43 Link
Pwynnej wrote:

It's all about Perception, Canon and Nikon users are like BMW drivers - they adopt the principle called TINA - there is no alternative

Also a lot of misinformation gets fed on the forums from Canon users who think the K10D is 6MP and the only thing going for it is its price. And I can't believe how many Canon owners don't know their own kit.

The last new SLR I bought prior to the K10D was a Super A, in the mid 80s. AFAIR, the situation was exactly the same then. C/N in the ascendant, P with the little guys.

If nothing's changed in the last 20 years, it's hard to believe it ever will.

I suppose the Hoya takeover might change things, but of the people that would go into a camera shop and buy C/N just on the word of the sales guy, who's heard of Hoya?
Mike Pearson
Posted 18/01/2007 - 11:40 Link
Spider,

The Canadian "Photo Life" regularly has Pentax equipment as a prize for a draw. Current issue has a K100D system including body, DA 18-55, DA 50-200, DA Macro 50, AF540 Flash and Gadget Bag. (retail value C$3,000).

Paulypentax,

I'll look for you from the shore and take a picture with my K100D - used to sail the bay and lake for years until my back deteriorated.

Mike
Taliety
Posted 18/01/2007 - 12:58 Link
I saw a Pentax as prize in either Photography Monthly or Practical Photographer last year sometime, but then it was sponsored by Pentax. Maybe that's what they need to do more of, the cost of sponsoring something like that can be no more than taking a couple of full page adverts in such magazines, which is what they are currently doing.

Hey, I take exception to that Pwynnej
Quote:

I also have a clutch of Pentax equipment, AND a BMW. Previously a secondhand Vauxhall Cavalier owner, so obviously my taste is impeccable .
Cheers

Malcolm

Life? Don't talk to me about life!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.