Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wanted: Small Lowepro Bag + opinions

richandfleur
Posted 11/02/2013 - 03:24 Link
Hi,

I'm after a small Lowepro DSLR bag for quick access for a K-30 with the 18-55mm kit lens and an extra lens. Wanting for short photo outings or day trips, not major hikes etc.

Was thinking of the Slingshot 102 AW as I like the quick access and all weather cover.
Negatives seem to be just the single strap.

Other options are the Fastpack or the Flipside. Have two straps but are less easy access and don't have the all weather option?

Delivery to Croydon area or maybe pickup in central London etc.
Comments welcome
Edited by richandfleur: 11/02/2013 - 03:47
AndrewA
Posted 11/02/2013 - 09:09 Link
I would certainly recommend the fastpack 100, perfect size for your kit, comfy and compact too. No weather cover though as you noted.

Another great Lowepro is the Nova 180 AW. I have one and it comfortably stores camera / lens, it has 4 more spaces for flash and lenses as your kit expands. Plus it is the all weather version so would everything dry. Link link

If you like the look of it, I may be tempted to part with mine, it is in superb condition as it has never been out of the house.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
wvbarnes
Posted 11/02/2013 - 09:26 Link
Hi,

I've had the Lowepro 102AW for a year or so. The cross shoulder strap allows a swing round and easy access BUT you are right it is uncomfortable if heavily loaded with lenses.For what the poster suggests it sounds fine.Room in the top for your coat or lunch too.

I bought a daftly named top load shoulder bag Crumpler 5500 in the sales. It takes K5 with 55 - 300 DA on, 18 - 135 DA WR and room for a short lens under a cover.

I find the Crumpler, smaller, waterproof (without need for the pull out cover of the Lowepro) easier and more comfortable with its wide strap cushioning. The Lowepro's are better padded internally for your kit and look like they are built to last a lifetime! I will still use the lowepro for big hikes.
johnriley
Posted 11/02/2013 - 09:28 Link
I've moved this to General Chat as it isn't very specific yet as to what the OP wants to buy.

When you've decided, that's the time to start a Classified Ad.
richandfleur
Posted 11/02/2013 - 09:30 Link
Thanks John, sorry about that
PaulEvans
Posted 11/02/2013 - 09:58 Link
As an alternative solution I have a Lowepro TLZ mini (which will just hold the camera with lens fitted) and a Lowepro lens case or two, which I can clip to the shoulder strap using the Lowepro attachment system. Secure and flexible (but not waterproof).

Paul
K3ii, DA16-85, DA35mm Limited, FA77mm Limited, 55mm f1.8 K, 135mm f3.5 M, DA300, DA 1.4 HD TC,
DA16-45, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro
johnriley
Posted 11/02/2013 - 10:10 Link
If you want waterproof and easy access then there are small Billingham bags that are far quicker than messing about with Lowepro zipped bags.

Most bags are hinged the wrong way. The hinge for the lid is next to the body, which means two hands are needed - one to keep the flap open, one to extract the equipment.

A few bags are hinged so the they open away from the body, thus allowing free access without obstruction.

Billingham are hinged the wrong way, but because the flap is thin canvas it doesn't matter - two leather clips and you're in and equipment can be removed instantly.

Hadley pro is my favourite Billingham bag, with an extra insert to allow the camera to be placed lens down and keep it cradled so the weight is not resting on the lens. This also means gravity helps keep dust and debris away from the sensor, rather than falling on it.
Comment Image

Comment Image
Best regards, John
Edited by johnriley: 11/02/2013 - 10:11
richandfleur
Posted 11/02/2013 - 10:55 Link
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll go and take a look at the alternative brands too.

I agree with the insert style John. The slingshot and fastpack do this to some degree, though the camera ends up horizontal once you swing it back onto your back.

The K-30 is quite lopsided, in that the lens really does stick out from the left hand side of the camera, compared to say a K1000 where the lens is fairly close to in the middle. Point of that is you only really seem to require an L shape to house the camera plus kit lens, rather than needing a full T void. Hope that makes some sense?!

I had a good play in a shop recently and found the slingshot had a bigger dedicated camera area, whereas the fastpack had a bigger general pocket up top. The fastpack also had some weird pointless flap hanging over the main camera area too.

For completeness sake I should add that I've had a good read through the other existing forum entries on this, such as:

choice-of-camera-bag

best-bags

camera-bags

is-lowepro-slingshot-really-that-good
redbusa99
Posted 11/02/2013 - 12:50 Link
i believe the flap is to cover the rear screen in the Lowepro bags. how much kit are you looking to carry ? may give a better idea as to what to recommend
odd lens or 2

Flickr
techno-terminator
Posted 11/02/2013 - 13:59 Link
Nothing beats taking all your gear into a physical place and trying various bags out
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
gartmore
Posted 11/02/2013 - 14:59 Link
I have a Billingham that after 20 years of pretty hard use looks as good as new but its too big for walking around, for that I have the Lowepro Sligshot which would be ideal for what you have. It's the fact that it has one strap rather than two wg
Hitch makes it so useable
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
LennyBloke
Posted 11/02/2013 - 15:41 Link
I have tried, LowePro's, Billinghams and Crumplers - each have their pros and cons, but the only bag I currently use is a Think Tank Retrospective 10. It is more comfortable to carry and easier in general use than any of the others - It is slightly limited (1 body with mounted lens, plus 2 other lenses and a few accessories) but is a real pleasure and doesn't scream "Valuable Camera Stuff" - it also has a "weatherproof" cover in the rear pocket - but I've not tried it yet.

I think the Retrospective 5 is slightly smaller, so might be better suited to your needs, but I would highly recommend a trip to a "real" camera shop and try before you buy

p.s. They are not cheap
LennyBloke
Tringa
Posted 11/02/2013 - 16:16 Link
I use this one for short trips -

http://www.7dayshop.com/hama-track-pack-190-camera-bag-backpack-rucksack-ref-103...

It has enough room to hold
camera + kit lens,
70-210mm zoom lens,
50mm lens,
spare battery and charger,
air blower and cloths,
a few filters,
camera manual,
a pair of 10x50 binoculars, and
has a bit of room for a drink too.

It is not the greatest of bags but has done the job for me for a couple of years.

I don't know any of the bags from Red Snapper -

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/

but if they are of a similar quality to their tripods, they should be good.

Dave
richandfleur
Posted 11/02/2013 - 21:10 Link
Pentax themselves appear to have offered a very similar bag at one stage. It's image is on this page, but there's no reference to it in any section, even in the older products part.

Comment Image
redbusa99
Posted 12/02/2013 - 09:17 Link
+1 for Think Tank, i have Retrospective 10 for travelling light and Retrospective 30 which just takes everything
odd lens or 2

Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.