Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sankyo Kohki 200mm fixed with a big hammer and a bit of hardwood!

davidwozhere
Posted 18/08/2021 - 00:56 Link
As you know, I love old glass. Often, if a lens appears beaten up it's because it is a good one and has been heavily used. So when I saw a cheap Sankyo Kohki Komura f4.5 200mm with a bashed in filter thread (and a wonderful 18 blade preset aperture) I grabbed it. Turned out to be an awful thing so it sat in a drawer until a day or so back. It was raining so I took it to the workshop and carefully leveled it on the bench with the damaged filter ring firmly in contact with a bit of plywood. The end of a short bit of hardwood was curved on the sanding machine to match its radius. Several judicious and smart smacks later the filter ring was sufficiently 'straightened' to a proper curve that would now accept a long 55mm hood.

I put it onto the K1 and its poor performance had been transformed !

Comment Image

The damage is where it says 1:4.5. Even the front bezel had been dented by the original impact!
Comment Image

Comment Image

The glass is good apart from cleaning marks on the front element and that 18 blade iris ..... !
Comment Image

1 Did I say it had been raining?
Comment Image

2 It is good against the light too
Comment Image

3 And with strong contrasts (there is a tiniest bit of red CA against the petal edges).
Comment Image

4 Best I could find to get it to produce some bokeh
Comment Image

Not the sharpest lens in the bag but this was a good example of the difference a hood can make and I've now got a fully working classic.
These were all taken between f5.6 and f8.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Edited by davidwozhere: 18/08/2021 - 00:58
Lubbyman
Posted 18/08/2021 - 09:29 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
but this was a good example of the difference a hood can make

And a good example of the difference a good hammer and nerves of steel can make !!! What a good way of using a rainy day.

Steve
Posted 18/08/2021 - 10:29 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
davidwozhere wrote:
but this was a good example of the difference a hood can make

And a good example of the difference a good hammer and nerves of steel can make !!! What a good way of using a rainy day.

Steve

What Lubbyman says, and then some!
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
Defragged
Posted 18/08/2021 - 13:05 Link
Well done. When all else fails, brute force and ignorance usually works a treat... lol..
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.