Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Left to Right or Right to Left?

davidstorm
Posted 09/10/2011 - 23:11 Link
This is a bit of a strange one. I left a comment tonight on one of John Riley's pictures, a really beautiful shot of a backlit flower. However, the picture really made me think! The shot was composed with the flower on the left and the stem trailing out to the upper right of the frame. Nothing wrong with this, but somehow I wanted to flip it 180 degrees horizontally as my brain 'sees' things from left to right, not right to left.

Does anyone have any views or comments on this? How do you 'see' things?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
johnriley
Posted 09/10/2011 - 23:55 Link
It's a fair point - we read left to right. I tend to think that left to right pictures may look and flow more naturally, but change it to right to left and it creates maybe a sense of tension in the image.

Having said that, my picture that David refers to is just the way round as seen. I'll have a look at it and see what happens when reversed.
Best regards, John
lemmy
Posted 09/10/2011 - 23:58 Link
Perhaps you are trying to appeal to Arab viewers, John? These things are more cultural than right or wrong, are they not?
johnriley
Posted 10/10/2011 - 00:00 Link
It's true that some writing is read the other way round. Whether or not that translates into a different way of looking at images I'm not sure, perhaps it does.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.