Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

*ist DL, any opnions--I may be purchasing an ist-DL w/lens

Posted 25/11/2006 - 16:37 Link
Hi,
Recently found an *ist DL w/kit lens at WalMart for $US 450. I've never owned a digital SLR before, and have no legacy lenses from a film SLR. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks
Ammonyte
Posted 25/11/2006 - 16:55 Link
Hello Penna, welcome.

I don't know what the "going rate" for a DL is in the USA, so I can't comment on the "value for money" aspect is. However by going for Pentax you will benefit from their backwards compatability with their older lenses which allows you to build up your kit with juducious collecting on ebay and elsewhere.

Also as a newcomer to SLR photography the DL offers an easier transition by having a lot of built-in modes (sport, landscape etc) as well as the ability to switch to more creative manual settings as you learn the equipment and techniques of SLR photography.

Oh and if you hang around here, you'll find lots of friendly knowledgable types who are happy to share their experience !
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Posted 25/11/2006 - 17:01 Link
Thanks. BTW $450 US is about L250, if the currency converter is up to date.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 25/11/2006 - 19:36 Link
Sounds like a good price - but bear in mind this model is discontinued, and the current 'equivalent', the K100D, has image stabilising and newer technology, which may be worth the extra money. Lots of people here are more than happy with their DL's though, so if you want a good, budget DSLR, I don't think you'd go wrong with it.

Dan
Ajay A Ghatage
Posted 17/12/2006 - 12:09 Link
Penna,

Even tough based in India my cousin in the US could get me a *ist dl for $800 which has been working very well. as i had lenses from my mz 50 the same could be utilised with this digital camera. i have been getting excellent results from this camera. sometimes i wonder why everyone thinks of Nikon when a pentax can do a good job all the time.

Ajay A Ghatage
Junior Assistant Editor
Times of India
Bangalore
redlm
Posted 17/12/2006 - 14:52 Link
That's a good US price for an L-Ritz has them and the S for almost the same as the new 100/110 models.

I have these on my digicam list-the AA batteries of the older cameras as well as the prism finder appeal to me.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.