Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

How many Pentax lens lines are present at the moment?

Posted 19/12/2006 - 15:00 Link
For Pentax lenses I encounter phrases like;

Optimized for digital performance.
Pancake lens
Limited lens

Are they all full frame 24x36 or are some limited with their fingerprint?Where can I find information on these lenses. What are the Pentax lens lines available today. Are old lenses not suitable for digital photography?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Quote:

MattMatic
Posted 19/12/2006 - 15:11 Link
Welcome to the board

For technical information: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/index.html

Optimised for Digital - there are two issues with lenses and digital. Firstly, because of the depth of the CCD and IR filter the image needs to be fairly well collimated. Film can produce a good image at the edges even when the incident angle is not at 90 degrees. Digital, on the other hand, works best when the image arrives at close to 90 degrees. Coated elements etc can also help reduce stray light that might otherwise create ghosting or fogging at the CCD.

Secondly, most CCDs (including Pentax) are APS-C sized, not 35mm size. The lenses can be made smaller, lighter, and often better quality because their image circle is reduced. (see my later comments on the 16-45 on film though!)

Pancake - unique (?) Pentax design that produces an unbelievably thin design.

Limited Lens - Pentax apply better coatings, usually more aperture blades, and a more "engineered" construction. Pentax Limited lenses are generally superb (I can only speak from hearsay as I don't own one )

Interestingly, most of the SMC-DA (digital only) lenses can be used on film bodies too - contrary to what others may tell you However, since the SMC-DA lenses do not have an aperture ring, the bodies you can use them on is slightly reduced. If you have the Z1, Z1P, or any of the other bodies that allow aperture control from the body, then there's no problem.

For example, check out my early test of the SMC-DA 16-45 on a Z1 film body: http://www.pbase.com/mattmatic/smc_da_test

On the other hand, I think every Pentax K-mount lens ever made will work on the digital bodies. There are some caveats and restrictions, but essentially there's nothing to stop you using fully manual with older lenses on the dSLRs. Cool

This topic has been covered in various guises, and if you need more info I'm sure I can dig up some older threads

Matt
Kim C
Posted 19/12/2006 - 16:36 Link
From someone who has the 31 ltd, 43 ltd , 77 ltd and 50/1.2 special which is similar, they really are quite superb.

Kim
MattMatic wrote:

Limited Lens - Pentax apply better coatings, usually more aperture blades, and a more "engineered" construction. Pentax Limited lenses are generally superb (I can only speak from hearsay as I don't own one )

Matt

MattMatic
Posted 19/12/2006 - 17:16 Link
Kim,
Shhh! You'll get my LBA going again
Matt
Kim C
Posted 19/12/2006 - 17:30 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Kim,
Shhh! You'll get my LBA going again
Matt

What with something like this: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/normal/A50f1.2-Special.html
If you think the 1.4 are sublime.

Kim
spirit_of_will
Posted 19/12/2006 - 17:47 Link
LOL - there's still a regular one of those sat on a certain shelf in Watford...
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Taliety
Posted 19/12/2006 - 21:18 Link
As far as Pentax lens lines available today, or tomorrow, the alternative thread under Pentax Lenses https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3424 has a couple of useful links from Ammonyte.
Cheers

Malcolm

Life? Don't talk to me about life!
Mongoose
Posted 19/12/2006 - 21:22 Link
spirit_of_will wrote:
LOL - there's still a regular one of those sat on a certain shelf in Watford...

Only because I don't have £400

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.