Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Flash advice

BMurray
Posted 21/04/2013 - 09:37 Link
I have a Metz 24 flash and I currently know very little about flashguns so I wondered if anyone could help, i find it takes around 7-8 seconds for the flash to get ready to shoot again and other times i need to switch it off and back on again, is there anything i can do to speed this up or can you recommend a better flashgun which doesnt take as long to reset?
B Murray
Mannesty
Posted 21/04/2013 - 09:58 Link
According to Metz web site:-

Flash output
• Guide number 24 for ISO 100/21° and 35 mm
• High flash numbers (e.g. 150 full flashes with alkaline-magnesium batteries)
Flash delay 0.3 – 8 seconds (depending on energy source and flash output)

If your flash is taking around 8 secs to recycle, it's producing full flash power and taking the longest time to recharge.

My first observation is that it is a very low power flash to start with.

My recommendations:-

1: Get closer to your subject to reduce the amount of flash power needed.
2: Use NiMh batteries rather than alkaline batteries.
3: Get a more powerful flash, a Metz 36 or 58 perhaps, or Pentax AF540FGZ.

If you need really fast recycle times, look for a flash that can accommodate an external battery pack, like the Pentax AF540FGZ + Power Pack III.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 21/04/2013 - 10:00
BMurray
Posted 21/04/2013 - 10:58 Link
Ah, that makes a bit more sense, i didnt mention i was using the flash off camera with a radio trigger so i assume that would also slow it down, would a sync cable help it to work faster this way as well? i wouldnt mind splashing out on a better flash but when i see the ones you have to programme in ISO and aperture etc they just scare the bejesus out of me.
B Murray
cabstar
Posted 21/04/2013 - 11:32 Link
Better flashes need less input, so make use slightly easier.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
sterretje
Posted 21/04/2013 - 11:52 Link
I don't think that there is anything that you can do except for the use of pTTL (with dedicated cables) as your flash does not seem to have auto-mode or manual mode with power settings; please correct me if that is wrong. So when used off camera it will always blast full power and you will always have the 8 second charge time.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Edited by sterretje: 21/04/2013 - 11:53
Mannesty
Posted 21/04/2013 - 11:54 Link
BMurray wrote:
Ah, that makes a bit more sense, i didnt mention i was using the flash off camera with a radio trigger so i assume that would also slow it down, would a sync cable help it to work faster this way as well? i wouldnt mind splashing out on a better flash but when i see the ones you have to programme in ISO and aperture etc they just scare the bejesus out of me.

Using a radio trigger will not affect the recycle time.

What affects it most is the amount of flash power used for any given shot. That in turn is largely determined by the distance between flash and subject, hence my suggestion of moving (the flash) closer to the subject and reducing the power.

If 100% flash discharge is needed for a particular scene, it will take longest to recycle and become ready for the next flash. Using say 25% flash output will require a shorter recycle time.

I'm not sure of the maths but for example if the flash is 12 feet away from the subject and 100% flash output is required for a correct exposure, moving the flash to 3 feet away and reducing the output to 25% should (I think) give the same exposure. Others will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Using a cable is somewhat less flexible (no pun intended) than using a radio trigger, but you might find you have more of the automated camera/flash features available. I'm not familiar with your flash so can't help more than that.
Edited by Mannesty: 21/04/2013 - 12:07
BMurray
Posted 21/04/2013 - 12:21 Link
this is good, thanks. I know the flash itself doesn't have any settings on it but ill have a look through the camera menu and see if there is any way of reducing flash output as it seemed to be 100% all the time. i recently did my first wedding and against all odds it was a roaring success. the flash recycle time was annoying me but i discovered a way to counter the flash output y bouncing the flash off my black jumper rather than pointing it at the subjects, came away with some really good shots i never thought id pull off.
B Murray
Mannesty
Posted 21/04/2013 - 13:10 Link
If you are using radio triggers, no camera setting will have any effect on flash output.

The in camera settings will work only with P-TTL capable flashes connected to the hot shoe or via the 5 pin cable and associated adapters.

Most radio triggers are triggered by the centre contact pin of the flash shoe. This is merely a 'go' signal to the trigger which responds with a 'go' signal to the remote receiver and flash. There is no other control involved.

If your flash has no manual settings to reduce its output you are on a hiding to nothing, it ain't going to work.

To have more control, you need to look at buying a different flash.
Edited by Mannesty: 21/04/2013 - 13:12
BMurray
Posted 21/04/2013 - 15:59 Link
i dont know if u can see it but theres an ad on this page for a gloxy flash at £99 it looks great but its only for canon or nikon. grrrr.
B Murray
Don
Posted 21/04/2013 - 16:13 Link
if you are using the flash on manual, with a radio slave then brand does not matter as long as the flash is new enough that it won't harm your radio slave. (amost all newer units are good to go)
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Mannesty
Posted 21/04/2013 - 16:26 Link
I have AdBlock Plus running so no, I can't see it, but I've personally never heard of Gloxy.

Probably the top non-Pentax brands are Metz and Sigma, after that, Yongnuo. I don't think I'd touch anything else without some personal recommendations from satisfied users. Even Canon & Nikon flashes will work OK if you are using radio triggers but not when fitted directly to the camera.

TTL/P-TTL capability is not necessary, but a decent amount of control over flash output power is important with perhaps one or two auto flash modes where the flash itself restricts the output by sensing the reflected light.

I think some offer manual control down to 1/256th power in binary steps, 1/1 (full power), 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16th etc.
Edited by Mannesty: 21/04/2013 - 16:33

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.