Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Competition #444The Weather

davidtrout
Posted 11/01/2016 - 15:04 Link
Last week we were cheered up by Mudge's Primary Colours Competition. This week, because its miserable here in Durham, I've chosen The Weather. You might have tropical heat waves, monsoons or icy blasts where you live but we've all got weather.
Usual rules apply, entries must be taken on Pentax cameras or related clones and the winner should be prepared to select the following week's subject, judge it and pass comment on all the entries.
Deadline for entries: Midnight British Time Sunday January 17. Google it to get it right if you live in Outer Mongolia or Wogga Wogga.
David
johnriley
Posted 13/01/2016 - 11:08 Link
I've been meaning to mention the convention we have over comments on the competitions.

It was agreed by the members that no comments should be put in the competitions thread itself until after the judge has judged. After that, away we go!

In the case of this discussion thread, after the first images are posted in the competition we can continue to comment but the judge withdraws and gives no further guidance. This is because any clarification would be intrinsically unfair to anyone who had already posted an entry.

Now and again the odd comment does appear early in the competitions, but it's removed when that happens.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John
Gwyn
Posted 13/01/2016 - 11:29 Link
Maybe you could remind people of this in the competitions section. Many gallery posters never make it to the forum, so won't read this.
davidtrout
Posted 13/01/2016 - 11:31 Link
I agree wholeheartedly in general with this John but I don't think I-Berg's correction to my spelling of Wagga Wagga or my response would have any influence on the outcome of the competition in any way.

David
johnriley
Posted 13/01/2016 - 12:16 Link
Maybe not, but it just reminded me.
Best regards, John
i-Berg
Posted 14/01/2016 - 07:50 Link
No intention to cause tension or dissension about the convention. Glad it got a mention
johnriley
Posted 16/01/2016 - 10:59 Link
Gwyn, there's a link on the competitions area to take us to this forum and the rules and guidance. I've added some further comments regarding posting before the competition is closed, so hopefully that will cover it.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
Best regards, John
JAK
Posted 16/01/2016 - 18:40 Link
The link on the competition page just links to the forum. wouldn't it be better to link to a dedicated page explaining the full current rules for that competition. It would need two pages, one for each competition (linking to the actual forum thread may also suffice if it isn't full of old comments that put people off reading it.) Further to that, some sites make you tick a box to say you've read the rules/conditions before you can continue; if the extra wording still elicits out of course entries then possibly consider adding that as well in due course?
I appreciate it's all only a bit of fun but if someone enters in good faith and has their ineligible entry deleted they may not consider it fun any more!
John K
Edited by JAK: 16/01/2016 - 18:46
johnriley
Posted 16/01/2016 - 19:07 Link
It doesn't tend to be much of a problem for most of the time and the appropriate sections are always at the top. It depends on how much time there is to redevelop something more formal when it's all very much member created and hence easily modified as we go along.

I guess if it becomes a problem then it will need to be looked at.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.