Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another Landscape for critique

Pentaxophile
Posted 04/06/2013 - 12:55 Link
I love John's first (neutral) version - nice and fresh.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Blythman
Posted 04/06/2013 - 13:03 - Helpful Comment Link
Not sure if Alistair wants to process in an HDR style, or he believes it necessary because he feels limited by the Dynamic Range.

That's why I'd like to see single shots of both landscapes he's shared. The first in particular (other thread) didn't appear to represent any challenge to a K5. This one mightn't either.

Then we might be able to offer better processing advice
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 04/06/2013 - 13:04
McGregNi
Posted 04/06/2013 - 14:55 Link
I prefer the tones in Johns first one (the 2nd has a magenta hint that doesn't look like it could come from the natural lighting), and I can see the extra sharpness in David's version. It might be helpful David to mention what process you used for that and if it was selectively or globally applied?

I agree with the comments from Simon about the lighting though - and this applies to my thoughts on the other shot as well where I felt that to really extract something with high visual interest ('striking') then special techniques or treatment were needed, and that's probably why the photographer has been using HDR. Again, I think the results without any 'special treatment' are going to be fairly sedate under the flat lighting we have.

There's no suggestion that either of these shots would 'represent a challenge to a K-5' - I think that idea has actually crept in by error (as a misunderstanding by Smeggy about what I was meaning by saying you couldn't extract something from a single frame). This was nothing to do with the DR of the camera, but about the lighting conditions. It was my Cannizaro Park shots that were challenging the DR of the camera.

I think the photographer here has instead been trying HDR as a means to introduce more varied and creative lighting.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Blythman
Posted 04/06/2013 - 15:17 Link
McGregNi wrote:
There's no suggestion that either of these shots would 'represent a challenge to a K-5' - I think that idea has actually crept in by error ............I think the photographer here has instead been trying HDR as a means to introduce more varied and creative lighting.

Well there is a suggestion. Alistair mentions his lack of ND Grad filters necessitating HDR. So maybe its best Alistair tells us why he felt he needed them
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 04/06/2013 - 16:13 Link
No, actually the ND grad filters crept in also as a misunderstanding as well (I think!) That was in response to Smeggy's suggestion on the previous thread .... here's the quote :

(Smeggypants) 'Yup, just try lowering yellow saturation. Also try they yellow hue slider and see if shifting it more green might help. or a combination. I would start again with just one image in LR. try really boosting shadows really reducing highlights, before adjusting blacks and whites to suit. And obviously adding grad filters for sky and foreground as required.'

This is apparently referring to software filters, no? Maybe the OP interpreted that as saying he needed ND grad filters on the camera?

It all gets a bit tricky doesn't it? But yes, lets not speak for Alistair.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Blythman
Posted 04/06/2013 - 16:16 Link
McGregNi wrote:
It all gets a bit tricky doesn't it? But yes, lets not speak for Alistair.

Well stop it then
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 04/06/2013 - 16:16
McGregNi
Posted 04/06/2013 - 16:29 Link
No, when I'm being pulled up on things I want to lay out clearly what the background thinking and assumptions were.

I think its interesting how these little points are transferred over between threads - adds to the richness of it all.
Posted 04/06/2013 - 18:17 Link
Hi guys. Yes i am using photo matix primarily to help me out with skies. I don't have ND filters and have found taking more than three images and layering them. Great thread and AND THANKS to all who commented.!
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Blythman
Posted 04/06/2013 - 18:27 Link
Another alternative would be to blend them in photoshop Alistair. Take one image metered for the sky and another for the foreground and then blend the two layers.

Still reckon one image could be processed in lightroom.

I'll not mention ND filters for fear of going off an a whole new tangent
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 04/06/2013 - 21:33 Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Great thread and AND THANKS to all who commented.!

You're very welcome! Both your shots have given us plenty to fight over At least I can stop second-guessing you now

For a scene with this average dynamic range the suggestion of using layers to 'blend' the sky and ground is sound. If you are interested in getting some experience of layers, then I'd suggest giving Photoshop Elements a go - you can do all this sort of thing at a fraction of the cost of full Photoshop.

But I'd also agree with Alan that in LR you should be able to balance out the highs and lows to create the result you want.
davidstorm
Posted 05/06/2013 - 00:07 Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Have you increased contrast and blacks David?

Sorry for the late reply Alistair, been out all evening. Contrast was tweaked only very slightly, blacks have not been increased. I spent approx. 1 minute on the image, basically adjusted yellow saturation, added shadow detail to the grass in the foreground, reduced the brightness of the foreground grass by burning the midtones a bit, did a bit of lightening on the grassy hill in the top left, added a little dodging and burning to selected areas, increased global levels, applied global sharpening and reduced global colour saturation.

McGregNi wrote:
I prefer the tones in Johns first one (the 2nd has a magenta hint that doesn't look like it could come from the natural lighting), and I can see the extra sharpness in David's version. It might be helpful David to mention what process you used for that and if it was selectively or globally applied?

As detailed above, sharpening was global and not too heavy. Used Photoshop Unsharp Mask, 50%, Threshold 4 and 2.0 Pixels.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Smeggypants
Posted 05/06/2013 - 04:30 Link
johnriley wrote:
I've made a more neutral version, more like I would expect the colour to be in this sort of scene.
Comment Image

This one is by far the best version for me.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Dodge69
Posted 05/06/2013 - 10:20 Link
Smeggypants wrote:

This one is by far the best version for me.

Agreed.

It's all good practice of course, but I think simonkit made the most pertinent point, if the light wasn't there, you can only polish a t**d to a point.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Pentaxophile
Posted 05/06/2013 - 10:46 Link
OTOH sometimes you get fed up with golden evening light and dramatic clouds piled up, and want to see something a bit more subtle and tranquil. I like the simplicity and clarity of this shot.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
McGregNi
Posted 05/06/2013 - 12:31 Link
Yes, sure, but it depends on the purpose of the photograph. If its just a record of places passed then it needs nothing more than to relight those memories. If its trying to attract others attention though, say for a portfolio or possible sale, then the photographer may feel some pressure to find something to 'spruce it up' (make it more striking )

But what has come through in all the recent discussions (and I agree 100%) is that no HDR or other computer tricks can create something special if the essential ingredients were not there to be photographed in the first place.

Personally, I think Alistair's first posted shot, with the boat, had more of these 'essential ingredients' to create something.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.