Dymock's Building

Photo Information
A restored former merchant's house on North Street (Bo'ness), Dymock's Building lies opposite the Hippodrome Cinema in the town centre. It comprises a group of traditional orange copperas-harled buildings arranged around a courtyard, now linked and converted for residential use. Dymock's Building benefits from Category-A listing and features a pantiled roof, crow-stepped gables and dormer windows. It represents one of the oldest buildings in the town, built before 1650 and fued by the Duke of Hamilton to a William Thomsoun in that year. In 1720 it formed part of the dowry of Jean Gregorie when she married Thomas Dundas and was significantly altered at that time to form a fine residence. It seems to have been owned by a Mr Dymock in the early 19th century and came into the hands of John Anderson (1794 - 1870), a noted local banker and philanthropist, in 1852. He used the premises to process whale-oil and the building was stripped of most of most of its 18th century features. The remains of two oil separation tanks were discovered during archaeological investigations on the site. Thus the property became principally of commercial use; in the 1950s it was the site of James Dymock & Sons, a plumber's business, followed by a motorcycle repair shop and then a bakery. Having fallen into disrepair, the property was bought by the National Trust for Scotland in 1997. It has been converted and restored under the auspices of the Trust's Little Houses Improvement Scheme to form eight small flats for rent by Castle Rock Housing Association. Fine wood-panelled rooms dating from the 18th century have also been restored as part of the project. The award-winning restoration was the work of the Pollock Hammond Partnership and the resulting building was opened by Charles, Prince of Wales, in 2004.
12/05/2009 - 15:56PeterMac
Shutter SpeedN/A
Focal LengthN/A


Link Posted 13/05/2009 - 08:45
Lovely golden, clean image.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.