Thorpe Salvin Church


Photo Information
Thorpe Salvin is a small, ancient village on the border between South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. This is the Village Church, which has parts which look to be very old, possibly Saxon or early Medieval.

Shot with the Pentax K-5iis, DA L 18-55 and Hoya R72 Infra-red Filter.
14/01/2017 - 17:03davidstorm
CategoryArchitecture
Shutter Speed131 sec
Aperturef/8
LensN/A
ISO100
Focal Length18mm

Mag07

Link Posted 14/01/2017 - 18:05
Oh, that is beautiful David.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

alfpics

Link Posted 14/01/2017 - 19:29
This has turned out very nicely David!
Andy

GIULIO57

Link Posted 14/01/2017 - 19:41
Very beautiful and a reliable BW. Early Medieval: does it mean Roman age?
PPG
Last Edited by GIULIO57 on 14/01/2017 - 19:42

Nigelk

Link Posted 14/01/2017 - 20:54
That is right nice, works very well.

davidstorm

Link Posted 15/01/2017 - 00:04
GIULIO57 wrote:
Very beautiful and a reliable BW. Early Medieval: does it mean Roman age?

Hi Giulio, the village is of Roman origin, but the Church is Anglo-Saxon, it probably originates around the time of the Norman conquest in the 11th Century.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

GIULIO57

Link Posted 15/01/2017 - 07:49
davidstorm wrote:
GIULIO57 wrote:
Very beautiful and a reliable BW. Early Medieval: does it mean Roman age?

Hi Giulio, the village is of Roman origin, but the Church is Anglo-Saxon, it probably originates around the time of the Norman conquest in the 11th Century.

Regards
David

THX David
PPG

davidtrout

Link Posted 15/01/2017 - 11:50
I love that sky, as in the other one you posted from this location..Does this church have any stained glass windows, especially medieval?
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

go4IT

Link Posted 15/01/2017 - 12:10
Excellent B&W David. May I ask how you achieved the effects in the sky?

davidstorm

Link Posted 15/01/2017 - 15:24
davidtrout wrote:
I love that sky, as in the other one you posted from this location..Does this church have any stained glass windows, especially medieval?
David

Hi David, yes it does, although I couldn't get inside to see them properly as it was locked. The windows do look medieval to me and some have beautiful ornate stone frames. There are also a couple more notable features. The church has an Anglo-Saxon porch with ancient oak beams forming a cruck and also has an unusual medieval stone in the graveyard with grotesque faces carved on it. I don't know how old the stone is.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

VividArt

Link Posted 18/01/2017 - 11:22
Excellent shot !
Not much wind in the trees and such blurr with the clouds. Cool.

Regards,

JMD
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.