Strother Gold

Strother Gold

Photo Information
“On such a day each road is planned to lead to some enchanted land; each turning meets expectancy. The signs I read on every hand. I know by autumn's wizardry On such a day the world can be only a great glad dream for me… Only a great glad dream for me!”

(Eleanor Myers Jewett)



Transient autumnal light filters below the canopy, to fall upon beech, birch & bracken in the charming Strother Hills S.S.S.I., near Gateshead
06/11/2014 - 11:15morpheus71
CategoryLandscape / Travel
Shutter Speed4 sec
Aperturef/16
LensN/A
ISO200
Focal Length18mm

davidtrout

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 13:11
Gee Phil you're a long way from your usual haunts here. Rowlands Gill is very close to the area where I lived for many years, Consett and Shotley Bridge in the Derwent Valley. Never heard it called Strother Hills though. One side of the Valley is Chopwell Woods and the other is part of the Gibside Estate, National Trust.
This is now part of Gateshead in Tyne and Wear but historically its Co. Durham. They mucked about with the boundaries in 1975.
A long way from home maybe but this has your all the usual quality of your close up landscape style.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

autumnlight

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 13:41
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure
Kind regards Maria

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maria-Gray-photography/589310071158079?ref=hl

GIULIO57

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 17:40
autumnlight wrote:
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure

..I agree with you....I do like ferns
PPG

Teaka53

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 19:13
GIULIO57 wrote:
autumnlight wrote:
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure

..I agree with you....I do like ferns

Couldn't agree more
Malc

PeterKR

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 19:22
Teaka53 wrote:
GIULIO57 wrote:
Quote:
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure

..I agree with you....I do like ferns

Couldn't agree more

Me too.

Best regards
Peter

drobbia

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 20:30
Just enough chartreuse to bring the down then eye up and into image. Well see. -- t
"It's not what you look at that's important, it's what you see" - Thoreau
Quote:

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 22:05
Very nicely put together Phil... Broad spreading ferns vs small round leaves, green vs gold, all joined together by the tree trunks... Really clever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

davidwozhere

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 00:33
Absolutely lovely composition of several quite distinct subject blocks that all fuse together seamlessly.
The sort of picture I would love to be able to create!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 12:58
davidtrout wrote:
Gee Phil you're a long way from your usual haunts here. Rowlands Gill is very close to the area where I lived for many years, Consett and Shotley Bridge in the Derwent Valley. Never heard it called Strother Hills though. One side of the Valley is Chopwell Woods and the other is part of the Gibside Estate, National Trust.
This is now part of Gateshead in Tyne and Wear but historically its Co. Durham. They mucked about with the boundaries in 1975.
A long way from home maybe but this has your all the usual quality of your close up landscape style.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Many Thanks David, My friend lives up in Rowlands Gill so he showed me this place yards from where he lives. Natural England have designated the mire area (this photo was on the fringe of it) as an S.S.S. I. . It was a pleasant wood to wander about and the beech and birch trees were particularly striking in their hues. Loads of Red Kites circling overhead too
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:03
autumnlight wrote:
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure

Many Thanks indeed Maria. I do have a fondness for ferns and brackens with there primordial and fractal appaearances. I was first struck by the young beech tree on the edge of the wetland mire and quickly found a fortuitous background to set it against.
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:04
GIULIO57 wrote:
autumnlight wrote:
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure

..I agree with you....I do like ferns

Cheers Giulio
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:04
Teaka53 wrote:
GIULIO57 wrote:
Quote:
Lovely colours and light, Ferns, as common as they are always give me pleasure

..I agree with you....I do like ferns

Couldn't agree more

Many Thanks Malc
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:05
drobbia wrote:
Just enough chartreuse to bring the down then eye up and into image. Well see. -- t

Many Thanks Drobbia The colours all seemed to work well together
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:06
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Very nicely put together Phil... Broad spreading ferns vs small round leaves, green vs gold, all joined together by the tree trunks... Really clever...

Best

Many Thanks Bill It was a composition that formed quickly in my mind as I wandered down to that spot, rather visceral.
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

morpheus71

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:09
davidwozhere wrote:
Absolutely lovely composition of several quite distinct subject blocks that all fuse together seamlessly.
The sort of picture I would love to be able to create!

Many Thanks David It really made me smile the way all the elements before me seemed to gel well with one another. It was a great start to a few days of wandering about North East England with my camera. Think I will be busy for a while with RAW processing from this trip, got very lucky with light & weather up there!
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/11/2014 - 00:14
A wonderful image Phil, every bit as good as your Devon shots.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

morpheus71

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 17:01
davidstorm wrote:
A wonderful image Phil, every bit as good as your Devon shots.

Regards
David

Thanks very much David Had a great long weekend up in the North East. This spot was 12 mile from my friends' house. They are aware of how lucky they are to have a huge series of woods 20 yards from their house!
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.