Pentax K-1 Owners Can Transform Their DSLR Into A Pentax K-1 Mark II

Pentax K-1 owners can have their camera turned into a K-1 Mark II for 450.

22/02/2018 - 10:43

Pentax K-1 to a Pentax K-1 Mark II

Ricoh has created an upgrade service so those who own a Pentax K-1 DSLR can have it changed into a Pentax K-1 Mark II

Those who choose to use the upgrade service, which is priced at £450, send their K-1 off to Ricoh who replace the K-1's main circuit board and add the new functions featured in the new K-1 Mark II 35mm full-frame digital SLR. When the K-1 is sent back, the camera owner will also notice that the current SR logo, positioned in the lower left corner of the camera’s front panel, will be replaced with the SR II logo plate.

The benefits of the upgrade service will be:

• Improved high sensitivity performance
  • Improved high-speed Auto Focus
  • Improved image resolution through handheld Pixel Shift Resolution

The upgrade service is only available from 21 May to 30 September 2018.

More details on the K-1 upgrade program will be released in the upcoming weeks.

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 16:13
But will upgrading it turn it into a Mk2 with everything reset and the camera as good as new? or are we bettering spending half as much again to get a new body?

A proper Mk2 may still be worth more than 249 more than an upgraded Mk1 when it comes to trading in...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 17:41
So, if you have just spent 1749 then you could have a 1799 body for 2199 with a lower residual value! Nice thought, but I think I will pass. However I wonder how long before a price hike like before, when it went up by 400.

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 21:45
If we want to benefit from better the K-1ii improvements, we can either have our K-1 transformed with an upgrade or do a trade in the K-1 for K-1ii and cough up the balance. It's nice to have the options.

If the improvements are noticeable*, we can do the maths and chose from one of the above. I have a sneaking suspicion that the upgrade might be good value for money, even allowing for resale values.

The principle of hardware as well as firmware upgrade is commendable and progressive thinking by Ricoh.

* i.e. similar to high iso performance difference between K-3 and K-70
Last Edited by ronniemac on 22/02/2018 - 21:46

Link Posted 23/02/2018 - 16:53
The real question here is not how much does it cost. But how long will it take ?

I presume those wanting their cameras upgraded will have to send the loved cameras to Johnsons. Who's track record on turn around is not the best.

So could I suggest to Ricoh that in partnership with Johnsons they set up an appointment system for a quick turn around of camera's... "AND NOT THE WOEFUL SERVICE WE ARE USED TO FROM THERE MAIN REPAIRER,,,,"
K1 K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Link Posted 05/03/2018 - 08:05
Will be service in europe?
Grudgingly send My love through the sea.

vic cross

Link Posted 10/03/2018 - 06:53
What about the shutter count? They're not changing anything mechanical.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.