You're old enough to go out by yourself now

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 24/05/2020 - 15:50
A week ago we heard the tawny owls that are resident in the tree behind the shed calling out and being active during the day. This is unusual and we guessed that they may have been encouraging a youngster to get out of the nest. The adult birds looked a little bedraggled after several months of nest-based lockdown, sheltering the nest and eggs from jays and magpies which are not afraid to get in close when mobbing the owls.

With a large slice of luck, today I heard the husky squeak of a young tawny owl and there it was just twenty feet from the window. There was no sign of the adults: I suspect they had sent the youngster out to play whilst they had a well deserved lie in on a lazy Sunday morning.

I had the camera nearby and managed to obtain a number of photographs. There was no rush though as we had the privilege of observing the owl for more than half an hour in the comfort of the lounge whilst it posed for us.

All pictures using a K5 with a Voigtlander 180mm PK APO, the last four using a tripod. Apologies for the blurriness of the first picture - it was taken hand-held through double glazing. Unfortunately my post processing skills have meant a distinct loss of detail from photographs 2 through 5 when I resized them ready for upload to the forum

The conditions were generally overcast albeit the sun did come out a little bit, hence leading to differing exposures with me being in manual exposure mode at the time.

So, what to do when you've been thrown out of the nest, told not to get into trouble and be back in time for lunch? I guess that settling down for a snooze is a good start.

As any owl will tell you, you are never really asleep and between dreams you routinely check for small furry things passing by.

Nothing to see this time. Ah well. Back to sleep.

Owls tend not to be popular with other residents in the garden. A squirrel, just out of frame, had a fright as it came close by the owl. Both owl and squirrel had a good stare at each other before they each decided it was best to move on without making a fuss.

Have a good stretch and ready oneself for heading back to the nest to see if lunch is ready on the table.

Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

bforbes

Link Posted 24/05/2020 - 16:11
So lucky, but brilliantly done
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Chrism8

Link Posted 24/05/2020 - 16:22
Superb shots, very lucky to have a successful mating pair soooooo close
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 24/05/2020 - 16:56
That must have been quite a magical experience Nigel, especially for such an extended period

You've got some nice shots there to look back on
LennyBloke

davidwozhere

Link Posted 25/05/2020 - 01:46
Wonderful. Thanks for sharing them.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

alfpics

Link Posted 25/05/2020 - 07:37
A great set - and as the others have said - so lucky to have these so close to home!
Andy

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 26/05/2020 - 10:44
You lucky, lucky ......!

Nice
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 27/05/2020 - 07:54
What a find... great stuff...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 11/06/2020 - 22:49
Barrie, Chris, John, David, Andy Gareth and Bill - thank you all.

We have seen more of the young owl than I remember in previous years. This years youngster seems pretty relaxed with us watching it. It is such a privilege and we have enjoyed it greatly.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.