WTB Q series body (or trade with cosmetically challenged da16-85)


vejj

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 00:20
I'm being taunted by a Kingfisher that regularly sits 30meters away from a hide. I figure the Q body, is going to be the cheapest route to capture the bugger.

Not got a big budget, q, q10 or q7 will all be fine.

Alternatively I can trade a da16-85 that has taken a bash on the filter thread and has a .5mm hairline scratch at the extremity of the lens. (The lens still takes filters, and the scratch doesn't show in shots) I will obviously share photos to anyone interested.

So we are in the same ball park, I value the lens at 180. I'd like to spend less for solely cash, and if you have a package, I may be willing to add cash to the lens.

Hope that all makes sense, thanks, Neil.
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210

JAK

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 01:19
Hi,
I've got two original Pentax Q's and a Q7. I'm happy to let one of the original Q's go but I don't think I have a spare lens for it (I'll check in the morning.) If I remember correctly, one came with the standard prime and the other the standard zoom and I still wish to retain both lenses. The spare Q is mint and boxed in virtually brand new condition having been kept as... a spare! I have a DA 16-85 so wouldn't wish to swap!
Would you be using the Q with a normal DA lens + adapter to capture your kingfisher?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 03/12/2017 - 01:28

Mag07

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 07:27
One thing to bear in mind, with an APS-C tele on the Q, it's not easy to stabilize the setup. The slightest movement can introduce motion blur. I only ever aimed it at the moon and that proved challenging enough. Can't really imagine trying to 'catch' a bird with it.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

HarisF1

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 07:43
I've got a standard prime that I wouldn't mind parting with, but it seems as though you'd be better off using an adapter for tele.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 08:24
The Q system is fine with say a 100mm macro lens fitted, but bear in mind that even that is a 35mm-format equivalent of more than 500mm. Anything longer becomes almost impossible to aim and keep the subject in frame.
Best regards, John

vejj

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 09:01
JAK wrote:
Hi,
I've got two original Pentax Q's and a Q7. I'm happy to let one of the original Q's go but I don't think I have a spare lens for it (I'll check in the morning.) If I remember correctly, one came with the standard prime and the other the standard zoom and I still wish to retain both lenses. The spare Q is mint and boxed in virtually brand new condition having been kept as... a spare! I have a DA 16-85 so wouldn't wish to swap!
Would you be using the Q with a normal DA lens + adapter to capture your kingfisher?

Hi John, I have an offer against the da16-85, which is my (wife's) preferred method of transaction. Could you let me know how much you want for the Q body, so I can weigh up whether to go cash or lose the da16-85. Thanks (it's an adapter only scenario I'm looking at, no need for q mount lenses)

Mag07 wrote:
One thing to bear in mind, with an APS-C tele on the Q, it's not easy to stabilize the setup. The slightest movement can introduce motion blur. I only ever aimed it at the moon and that proved challenging enough. Can't really imagine trying to 'catch' a bird with it.

johnriley wrote:
The Q system is fine with say a 100mm macro lens fitted, but bear in mind that even that is a 35mm-format equivalent of more than 500mm. Anything longer becomes almost impossible to aim and keep the subject in frame.

Thanks John and Mags, sound advice, but I'm always up for a challenge. The ovf1 should help me aim in the general direction, and with good light and a lot of shots, I'm hopeful 😊
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210

vejj

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 17:35
Due to previously undiagnosed decentering issue with the lens. I am now only looking for a cash transaction. Thanks 😊
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210

JAK

Link Posted 03/12/2017 - 20:06
PM sent.
John K

vejj

Link Posted 04/12/2017 - 12:47
Pm replied and deal agreed. Many thanks John
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210

JAK

Link Posted 04/12/2017 - 18:46
... and camera posted!
John K

vejj

Link Posted 05/12/2017 - 15:51
...and camera received. Very happy. Many thanks John.
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/12/2017 - 17:00
vejj wrote:
...and camera received. Very happy. Many thanks John.

Now eagerly awaiting the Kingfisher photo?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 05/12/2017 - 17:01

vejj

Link Posted 05/12/2017 - 18:05
Mike-P wrote:
vejj wrote:
...and camera received. Very happy. Many thanks John.

Now eagerly awaiting the Kingfisher photo?

Yes! But a no show in the spare hour I had today. All good practice though, Here's his perch as a taster



Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/12/2017 - 18:15
Well done, lovely sharp shot, great lighting and unusual angle.

Reminds me somewhat of my first Kingfisher picture here
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

vejj

Link Posted 05/12/2017 - 18:20
Mike-P wrote:
Well done, lovely sharp shot, great lighting and unusual angle.

Reminds me somewhat of my first Kingfisher picture here

Haha, that's brill Mike! I love the way you have captured it in it's natural surroundings. Adds context 😉
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.