Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

WTB: Inexpensive K or M42 mount Film Camera.

Benz3ne
Posted 18/02/2021 - 16:11 Link
All,
Given my generous lending of a film camera (one of my beloved MX's) to my younger brother for a short spell, I'm tempted to get him a film camera as a belated birthday present.
Does anyone have anything kicking around that's working (or suggestions) for around the £20-30 mark? I'll tag a lens onto the front of it, load it with film and away he goes!
Working meters/electronics/shutters a must but degraded light seals are a non-issue, cosmetic dinks/scrapes/scuffs are a non-issue. It doesn't have to be anything special.
Cheers in advance.

Further edit: It could even be a compact film camera/rangefinder/similar.
Edited by Benz3ne: 18/02/2021 - 16:21
vejj
Posted 18/02/2021 - 17:32 Link
Pm sent
Gradually learning the art of polishing turds

K-3, K-1
Pentax 18-35, 35-80, 50, 85, 300
Tokina 70-210
smc
Posted 18/02/2021 - 21:47 Link
Would a P30 fit the bill?
Benz3ne
Posted 19/02/2021 - 21:05 Link
Many thanks and apologies to all who have contacted me. I’ll get back to you tomorrow - it’s been a mad few days of work surrounded by falling asleep on the sofa.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 20/02/2021 - 08:45 Link
A P30N or P30T is always what I recommend for a cheap, capable and reliable K-mount SLR. They're the best value available in MF 35mm SLRs.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
davidwozhere
Posted 21/02/2021 - 00:56 Link
Lots of them on Ebay presently for less than a tenner.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
danofmk
Posted 21/02/2021 - 06:56 Link
And they are super reliable
Benz3ne
Posted 23/02/2021 - 08:05 Link
Thanks all!
I'm only seeing 'parts only' ones for that inexpensive on eBay.
I'm tempted by that P30 - what is it lacking versus the P30t/P30n? I'm guessing it's auto-exposure/aperture priority type modes which may not really be an issue if they show the metering clearly.
Lubbyman
Posted 23/02/2021 - 10:41 - Helpful Comment Link
The original P30 has manual and program modes only - I've got one, it was my first SLR. Set the lens aperture ring to A and it's program, otherwise it's manual.

Exposure is centre weighted average. Metering is shown via the viewfinder. Shutter speeds are shown on the LHS. For Program mode, it illuminates what is chosen by the camera. For manual, the one currently set is illuminated (constant), what the camera thinks gives correct exposure is flashing. Adjust shutter speed (on camera) or aperture (on lens) until the flashing goes away. Simple!

Worth noting that my P30 does not have cable release, although some people claim that later versions do. And aperture priority mode was added for the P30t/n. Film speed is read from the canister, if the canister doesn't have the code I think it defaults to 100 (there's no way to over-ride it).

The P30 is built like a tank and has a reassuringly loud 'clunk' when the shutter fires. And if the battery dies while out in cold weather, you can squeeze a bit more life out of it by putting your thumb over the battery compartment screw-in metal door, which warms it up enough for a few more shots (learned that one in Iceland!).

Steve
davidstorm
Posted 23/02/2021 - 22:58 - Helpful Comment Link
danofmk wrote:
And they are super reliable

(quote relates to P30 / P30T)

Sorry I haven't commented earlier, but I've not been on the forum in a while. I would caution against buying a P30 or P30T on ebay, they are very prone to winding issues (shutter won't latch, camera locks up) which are caused by deterioration of plastic bushings in the camera, this is generally not economical to repair. A much better bet (this is my opinion only) would be something like a Cosina CT-7, these are better built than the P30's, all metal construction, very nice control layout that's reminiscent of the ME Super, with Auto or Manual Exposure modes. It's a K-mount, so takes all the Pentax lenses.

I have one in mint condition that you could have for £20, can send some images if you like.

If you could spend a little more and don't mind all manual operation, you can't get more reliable than a K1000.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
johnha
Posted 23/02/2021 - 23:43 Link
My P30 (not n nor T) definitely has a cable release at 5 o'clock on the lens throat when viewed from the front. It has an AE lock which makes it much easier to use in program than all earlier Pentaxs.

Nobody seems to want them and they usually sell for very little (I've given up trying to give it away). My preference is a P50 which has M, Av and 2 programs if you get on with push buttons (it's still a very good user interface). True you're limited to DX coding but that's a small issue for most.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 24/02/2021 - 09:26 Link
johnha wrote:
My P30 (not n nor T) definitely has a cable release at 5 o'clock on the lens throat when viewed from the front. It has an AE lock which makes it much easier to use in program than all earlier Pentaxs.

Nobody seems to want them and they usually sell for very little (I've given up trying to give it away). My preference is a P50 which has M, Av and 2 programs if you get on with push buttons (it's still a very good user interface). True you're limited to DX coding but that's a small issue for most.

I've never seen a P30 without the socket for a standard cable release. I've seen a few locked up P30s in my day but far fewer than, for example, ME Supers, which are almost always broken. The P30 series are for more reliable. I prefer the T or N over the standard P30, not as pretty but much easier to use with Av mode.

The reliance on DX code can be gotten around using either bought stickers or DIY ones made with paper, glue and tin foil.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
womble
Posted 24/02/2021 - 10:02 - Helpful Comment Link
davidstorm wrote:

If you could spend a little more and don't mind all manual operation, you can't get more reliable than a K1000.

Personally I would go for KM over the K1000. It doesn't have the cult following that the K1000 does (and is therefore usually much cheaper) and has one or two more "bells and whistles". On all older cameras there is a tendency for the mechanical self-timers to be a bit sticky and this can be the case with the KM too. If you never use it, its not a problem

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Posted 24/02/2021 - 12:55 Link
If you go for a P30n;
Always fit new fresh batteries in the P30n as I have just learnt the hard way! lol. I recently acquired a P30n and was worried that the 'B'ulb setting didn't work, and also sometimes the 1 second shutter was too fast.
Then remembered I had read somewhere (probably the manual) that the B setting was heavy on the battery, so perhaps the 1 second speed was related. So quickly tried a fully manual lens and that was the same, I had tried the batteries in my KX slr and they were fine, but obviously the current draw is much less, so put fresh batteries in the P30n and Bingo all works fine.
So my lesson learnt, don't be a tight fisted old git, but I'll probably use the old tired batteries in the KX!!!

Oh I can confirm it definitely has a release cable socket by the camera lens mount.
Lubbyman
Posted 24/02/2021 - 15:04 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I've never seen a P30 without the socket for a standard cable release.

There's a first time for everything!

Comment Image

Steve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.