Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

WTB: CLA'd manual film camera for learning

BarneyL
Posted 19/07/2017 - 21:21 Link
Hello everyone,

I've signed up for a photography course that starts with teaching the basics of analog photography and development of film. Therefore, I'm required to get my own film camera, preferably full-manual (manual exposure and manual focus) and as simple as possible, to aid learning.

I wonder if anyone here has a well preserved one and don't mind parting with it for reasonable price. I'm interested in Pentax K-mount and Pentax M42 Screwmount cameras; don't have to be Pentax brand (I heard good opinions on some made by Ricoh for example), but are obviously preferred. I look for relatively large and bright viewfinder, at least 1/1000s shutter, solid construction, battery required by lightmeter only, split image focusing screen. Preferably in black.

I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers!
K-3 II, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM, FA 43, D-FA 100mm WR, few S-M-C Takumars
pschlute
Posted 19/07/2017 - 23:19 Link
Sounds like the MX is what you want. Plenty on ebay, but black ones command a premium. Check with the seller that the light meter works
JAK
Posted 20/07/2017 - 01:08 Link
Just to point out, black cameras don't take better photos than silver and black ones! Most of the early Pentax's had an Alloy top. I'd just get the best one you can find and not worry about that element too much! From experience, the black can wear off an make the camera look shabby.

If you can suggest your approx budget that may help with recommendations. As Peter says, an MX would be a good choice but a K1000 should be less costly. The MX being much smaller than others of that era. Probably best to examine the camera in person when you buy given you're looking at something 40-50 years old. Some are still good, others not so. With an MX, make sure the fresnell screen is in good order, they're removable and scratch easily and can get grubby easily too after which you'd be left searching for a replacement screen at around 30-50.
Also, it may help to give an idea of the area you reside in as someone might be able to direct you to view a contender at a local camera shop. Remember, if you purchase second hand from a retailer, it should come with some sort of warranty. Buying privately you won't get that.
John K
Edited by JAK: 20/07/2017 - 01:20
nigelsnape
Posted 20/07/2017 - 01:13 Link
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick ........but what's CLA'd?
JAK
Posted 20/07/2017 - 01:22 Link
nigelsnape wrote:
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick ........but what's CLA'd?

Where have you seen that? Not in this thread!
John K
davidwozhere
Posted 20/07/2017 - 01:49 Link
Cleaned Lubricated and Adjusted - serviced in other words.

I've got a Spotmatic 500 (with the unmarked 1000th sec on the shutter dial). It works fine, incl the meter, and last had a film through it two months ago.
It isn't CLA'd. It ain't split image and it ain't black.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
BarneyL
Posted 20/07/2017 - 07:14 Link
Hello everyone,

I see that I forgot to include my location info. I'm from Poland, Warsaw (I don't expect many of you know good places around there to look for good film cameras). There's a photography market in here, and I'll go there eventually, but as far as I know, the prices for cameras and lenses are terrible and people mostly shop there for film rolls.

I know that buying ~30-40 year old gear on the Internet is risky, but I think that this forum is definitely better place in this regard than eBay.

I mentioned 'in black', but colour is the least of my priorities. It also doesn't have to be professionally serviced (although certainly welcome), but I would like it to be ready to shoot, with lightmeter working properly, and in a good shape.
K-3 II, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM, FA 43, D-FA 100mm WR, few S-M-C Takumars
vic cross
Posted 20/07/2017 - 12:31 Link
Have you thought of another make? I know you mentioned Ricoh. Before I had Pentax I used Chinon. I bought this make because it used PK mount lenses which were plentiful and my future aim was to have Pentax. You can get them fairly cheaply on e-bay and they are good cameras. Their lenses aren't bad either. (They made one of the first auto focus lenses for Canon) I'm sure quite a lot of Pentax camera users have used Chinon lenses at one time or another and found them to be very acceptable.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.