World's most famous pictures

puma

Link Posted 18/03/2012 - 19:22
Hello I had to put this on but before you take a look this is very powerful stuff link
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

doingthebobs

Link Posted 18/03/2012 - 19:36
Yes, very powerful.
Bob

Opethian

Link Posted 18/03/2012 - 21:05
Would love to have heard what the photographers have to say about the photos, and how they "captured" them in those moments.

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

Snootchies

Link Posted 18/03/2012 - 22:03
Powerful indeed. I hadn't seen the volcano victim photo before, which prompted me to find out more about the circumstances of the shot. Very moving and tragic.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

AxelLuther

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 08:03
unfortunately it does not run in Germany (GEMA rules)......
I just saw the review of a great photo project that tells a lot about the story behind famous photographs: San Diego-based photographer Tim Mantoani has an awesome project and book titled “Behind Photographs” that consists of 20×24-inch Polaroid portraits of famous photographers posing with their most iconic photographs (telling the story how they made it).

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com

pentaxian450

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 09:15
Actually, there is a debate going on about Robert Cappa's picture. A lot of people think it is "staged".
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 09:33
pentaxian450 wrote:
Actually, there is a debate going on about Robert Cappa's picture. A lot of people think it is "staged".

I'm one of those people .

A pity they got the facts so wrong on Thi Kim Phuc too.

walkeja

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 10:26
Well it has been done by a Yank, so what did you expect?
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

pentaxian450

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 16:12
Gwyn wrote:
I'm one of those people .

So I'm I!
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

cabstar

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 16:13
There are quiet a few images in there that are believed to have been staged, Robert Capas, the red flag being hoisted along with the stars and stripes at Idaho.

Some truly dreadful events in the history of the human race...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

junousia

Link Posted 19/03/2012 - 18:01
There was been quite a many debate about the picture "Falling Soldier", is it staged or not. Here is quite a good article about the picture:
link
A credible report on the authenticity of the picture. "Believe or not"
Best Regards
Jukka
flickr

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa

chunky

Link Posted 20/03/2012 - 20:55
The Red Flag being hoisted over the Reichstag was definitely retouched by the Russians. On the original neg
one of the soldiers was seen to be wearing two watches and this suggested looting by Russian troops . Something Uncle Joe Stalin was not keen to publicise.
A few years ago there was an excellent TV programme about a lot of these images. I seem to remember it was called something like 'A moment in time" or the "Definitve Moment"
Also I thought the guy who took the image still worked as a pro photographer in the states but I might be wrong.
The guy who took the image of the Vulture stalking the wee girl definitely did commit suicide shortly after winning a Pulitzer Prize for this image. Read the book "The Bang Bang Club" or watch the film of the same name.
Thi Kim Phuc works as a UNESCO peace ambassador.
Chunky

cabstar

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 00:28
chunky wrote:

The guy who took the image of the Vulture stalking the wee girl definitely did commit suicide shortly after winning a Pulitzer Prize for this image. Read the book "The Bang Bang Club" or watch the film of the same name.

Kevin Carter; Saw so many bad things in his short career, the story behind the vulture shot is interesting too, seems he & some other photojournalists where dropped into a feeding station for literally 10 minutes to get some shots and leave. Kevin Carter come up for a lot of criticism for for not helping the girl or finding out more about her.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

johnha

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 00:50
The flag raising at Iwo Jima was staged, apparently the original flag wasn't big enough link

However, if it's powerful/famous images being discussed, does it matter?
PPG Flickr

chunky

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 20:09
There's a piece about the Reichstag photograph and the photographer in this week's AP.
Well worth a read.
Chunky
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.