wood grip Lx

lxmike

Link Posted 20/03/2014 - 23:26
Always fancied getting the wooden grip for the Lx, has anyone ever owned such a grip, am I right in thinking it is carvable, I remember reading about it in the mid 1980s

johnha

Link Posted 20/03/2014 - 23:49
Never seen one but they are carvable - un-carved ones pop up on ebay from time to time with high prices. The plastic ones are really useful and probably better (depending on how skilled you are at carving).
PPG Flickr

lxmike

Link Posted 20/03/2014 - 23:57
johnha wrote:
Never seen one but they are carvable - un-carved ones pop up on ebay from time to time with high prices. The plastic ones are really useful and probably better (depending on how skilled you are at carving).

Thanks I thought they were carvable, if I get one I will hand it over to a friend of mine who is a craftsman/cabinet maker and a very good wood turner

stevejcoe

Link Posted 21/03/2014 - 08:33
lxmike wrote:
johnha wrote:

Thanks I thought they were carvable, if I get one I will hand it over to a friend of mine who is a craftsman/cabinet maker and a very good wood turner

You could always remove the fixing attachment of a plastic grip and ask your friend to fashion one for you to the shape, size and wood of your choosing.

Regards - Steve

LennyBloke

Link Posted 21/03/2014 - 08:44
I think you're talking about the LX grip A - it isn't made of wood (although it is often advertised as such), but comes as an oversized chunk of brown carvable plastic/resin. It is nice to be able to shape the grip to your exact fit, but with the prices they sell for nowadays I think the black plastic grip B is probably better
LennyBloke

lxmike

Link Posted 21/03/2014 - 10:49
LennyBloke wrote:
I think you're talking about the LX grip A - it isn't made of wood (although it is often advertised as such), but comes as an oversized chunk of brown carvable plastic/resin. It is nice to be able to shape the grip to your exact fit, but with the prices they sell for nowadays I think the black plastic grip B is probably better

you learn something every I always thought they were wood

johnha

Link Posted 21/03/2014 - 11:16
lxmike wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:

Me too, though I've seen it described as 'wood' and 'composition wood' (which I took to mean laminated).
PPG Flickr

lxmike

Link Posted 26/03/2014 - 10:15
johnha wrote:
lxmike wrote:
Quote:

Me too, though I've seen it described as 'wood' and 'composition wood' (which I took to mean laminated).

I own two Lx and have had other lx in the past and always thought the ,wwod, grip was wood, never seen or held one in the flesh

george_in_georgia

Link Posted 17/02/2016 - 22:04
I seem to recall seeing a post on Flickr's LX section from a person who carved his own. I have the plastic grip and heartily recommend it.
Last Edited by george_in_georgia on 17/02/2016 - 22:04

michaelblue

Link Posted 17/02/2016 - 22:16
You mean something like this?..............

Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

george_in_georgia

Link Posted 17/02/2016 - 22:25
michaelblue wrote:
You mean something like this?..............

Gorgeous! There might be a cottage industry here for us Pentax LX fanatics......

salvador

Link Posted 17/02/2016 - 22:31
beautiful camera!!

Davo

Link Posted 12/09/2016 - 09:04
I got one. It was made in Australia. Beautiful. I love it.

womble

Link Posted 21/09/2016 - 18:50
Davo wrote:
I got one. It was made in Australia. Beautiful. I love it.

Do you know someone who makes them? It would be nice to have a wooden grip.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.