WLTB a Pentax LX... but not this one...

AndyElliott

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 16:29
I'm interested in acquiring a Pentax LX body & finder in top condition. Please PM me with any offer?

See here... I like the condition, but the price is a bit steep...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-PENTAX-LX-w-50mm-f-1-2-special-gold-edition-limit...

All the bast
Andy
Last Edited by AndyElliott on 28/01/2013 - 16:54

womble

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 16:38
Good choice. The LX I mean, not the gold version, yuck! I only have one and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Good luck with your search.

Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Defragged

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 19:10
Hello Andy,

I have one which I would sell albeit somewhat reluctantly, for probably the same reasons as womble will take his to the grave.

I've owned it from new having bought it from Wildings in Chorley, Lancs. I still have the original boxes for both the camera and FA1 finder, even the original purple Pentax cleaning cloth (still sealed in cellophane) that shipped with these cameras. It comes with a dedicated Pentax LX leather case which itself has two separate detachable fronts, one for a standard lens and one for a longer telephoto lens. The former I don't think has even been on the camera and again comes in the original box.

It is in excellent condition with just a slight amount of brassing on the depth of field preview button and a tiny graze to the top of the viewfinder. I had it fully serviced at Harrow (I've still got the receipt somewhere which I will provide) about four years ago at the cost of over £96.00 so no sticky mirror syndrome and I've not used it since apart from putting £6.00's worth of new batteries in at Christmas when I had a thought of selling it then. I will also include a pristine copy of Geoffrey Crawley's book, 'Pentax LX system' Price-wise I'm thinking £225.00 plus postage which I think is more than fair considering what some are being sold at, but you decide!

As I said above, this is a reluctant sale, but, the fact is I've simply not been using it and it seems wrong to horde it when someone can use it as it was intended. I've always felt the LX is the most beautiful and tactile camera Pentax ever made! I wonder what other LX owners think?

Anyway, If you are interested let me know and I'll do some photo's of the package for you.

Regards...

PS I hasten to add that it's a standard black version not a tacky gold one... lol...
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Last Edited by Defragged on 28/01/2013 - 19:12

womble

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 20:56
Defragged wrote:
As I said above, this is a reluctant sale, but, the fact is I've simply not been using it and it seems wrong to horde it when someone can use it as it was intended. I've always felt the LX is the most beautiful and tactile camera Pentax ever made! I wonder what other LX owners think?

We'll get told off for going off-topic but there is only one thing that I sometimes dislike about the LX and that is the loudness of the shutter. If I am trying to be subtle I use my MX in its muffler case.

All of which reminds me, I must get my FA-1W viewfinder fixed before I head off around the world at the end of March...

BTW, that's an excellent price. If I didn't have an LX I'd jump at it.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Defragged

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 23:35
womble wrote:

We'll get told off for going off-topic but there is only one thing that I sometimes dislike about the LX and that is the loudness of the shutter. If I am trying to be subtle I use my MX in its muffler case

You'll have to blame me for going off topic. (for which please accept my apologies Andy)

As for the loudness of the the LX I feel quite the opposite to you. I never thought of it as loud at all. In fact I thought it's affirmative clink-cluck was very positive and reassuring with a resounding quality about it, unlike the timid tick-tick of the K5.

If you listen to it, it sounds better than a golf... lol...
C.O.L.B.A.S victim

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

stevejcoe

Link Posted 29/01/2013 - 16:09
Defragged wrote:
Hello Andy,

I have one which I would sell albeit somewhat reluctantly, for probably the same reasons as womble will take his to the grave.

I've owned it from new having bought it from Wildings in Chorley, Lancs. I still have the original boxes for both the camera and FA1 finder, even the original purple Pentax cleaning cloth (still sealed in cellophane) that shipped with these cameras. It comes with a dedicated Pentax LX leather case which itself has two separate detachable fronts, one for a standard lens and one for a longer telephoto lens. The former I don't think has even been on the camera and again comes in the original box.

It is in excellent condition with just a slight amount of brassing on the depth of field preview button and a tiny graze to the top of the viewfinder. I had it fully serviced at Harrow (I've still got the receipt somewhere which I will provide) about four years ago at the cost of over £96.00 so no sticky mirror syndrome and I've not used it since apart from putting £6.00's worth of new batteries in at Christmas when I had a thought of selling it then. I will also include a pristine copy of Geoffrey Crawley's book, 'Pentax LX system' Price-wise I'm thinking £225.00 plus postage which I think is more than fair considering what some are being sold at, but you decide!

Anyway, If you are interested let me know and I'll do some photo's of the package for you.

Regards...

PS I hasten to add that it's a standard black version not a tacky gold one... lol...

Defragged, you have a pm.

Regards - Steve

Defragged

Link Posted 29/01/2013 - 20:18
Thank you to everyone who has enquired about the LX I'm selling. If I appear to have been slow in responding, it's because I suffer from an affliction called work which seriously limits my available time to indulge in proper pursuits such as photography and LBA...

Anyway, I have now PM'd everyone and will keep you all updated of developments through this thread or by PM. Priority will be given to enquiries in the order that they are received. It goes without saying of course. that this is Andy's thread after all and so he has the first option to buy.

Thanks again....
C.O.L.B.A.S victim

Defragged

Link Posted 03/02/2013 - 21:43
UPDATE

Grateful thanks to all those who took an interest in the LX which I can now confirm has been sold to Andy. Thankyou also for your patience.

Best wishes to all....
C.O.L.B.A.S victim

womble

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 09:07
Congratulations Andy, you'll love it. K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

AndyElliott

Link Posted 16/02/2013 - 18:52
Well, I was able to take a few pictures with it today at last. No auto-focus, manual cocking of shutter and so on. Having to consider every shot... and then missing them. No facility to instantly check the shot with a screen on the back... it's great!
Being able to put on my FA31 & FA77 and see them how they're meant to be is a joy when you look through the huge window presented by the viewfinder, which is even brighter and a lot bigger than the one on my brand new, full-frame Canon 5D mark3.
The camera arrived swiftly, totally as described and superbly packaged by Peter, aka Defragged, who was an absolute pleasure to deal with.
All the best
Andy

Defragged

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 12:57
Delighted you've been able to get out and enjoy the camera Andy. I'm also so very pleased it has gone to such a discerning new owner, one who I've no doubt will give it the use such an elegant piece of engineering deserves.

Very, very best wishes....
C.O.L.B.A.S victim

TheKanbi

Link Posted 10/03/2013 - 21:52
Interesting comment on the loudness of the LX's shutter. I have 3 LX' bodies, two of which belonged to my father. The earliest body with the rounded shutter lock and maximum film ASA of 1600 is much louder than the later model LX's with the cut out shutter lock and ASA 3200 maximum film speed.

By the way, I am fortunate to live within driving distance of Harrow Technical who I have used to serviced all my LX's and an MX body, good value for money, but be careful to identify ALL faults otherwise they might not be fixed. The LX in particular is a complicated beast and its difficult to check everything during a typical CLA/adjust/overhaul.

johnha

Link Posted 10/03/2013 - 22:36
The BJP reviewed the LX over a year and published a book on it, which included tests on both the loudness of the shutter/mirror in combination along with the frequency of the noise. IIRC they commented that fitting a lens reduced the 'volume' somewhat.

I have a copy somewhere if I can find it.
PPG Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.