WINDOWS OR MAC.???

ttk

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 11:33
Next year I want to change my PC/Laptop system, been looking at a imac with 22/24in screen. Over the last few weeks every time I go into the city I call at PC World (only place for Mac ) and have been playing with the display one they have, I was told yesterday by a Nob in PCW that they are crap..
Q1--Are MAC'S crap .
Q2--How do you right click
Q3--Is there anyone close to me willing to show me the in's and out's of the Mac system
Q4--Do Macs use Antivirus software like Eset
I don't want to layout 1,150 and find Mac's are not as good.
The Mac system will be used for editing photos only, and now and then on the Net for software updates.
All other Net/Browsing stuff will be on a laptop.

Your thourght's please..
Tel,

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 12:09
I don't have a Mac. Can't afford one but if I could I would buy one for photo, and other work. Especially for web work as they are (virtually) virus free. There are several owners of Macs here who can help you more I know.
If you are thinking of buying Silkypics, as you said in another thread, then bear in mind that the PC version probably won't work on a Mac. The same with Lightroom and CS3.

mikew

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 12:30
ttk wrote:

But isn't the net and browsing where you'll get all the viruses etc? So if you have a sacrificial laptop for that then you have a free choice for the desktop?

I'd be curious to know how often the Mac users here have reinstalled their OS.

Mike

Don

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 12:33
Q1... Macs are not crap. there are only two types of people that love thier computers. Very tech savvy, techno-loving, high end (usually lixnux running) pc owners(about 4% of pc owners), and 99% of Mac owners regardless of tech/repiar skills. (note: studies show 5 out of every 4 statistics are made up on the spot).
Q2...with the right button. (mighty mouse has it, so do all third party mouses) you'll want a wacom tablet anyways...
Q3... top of every menu bar is a surprisingly good "Help" button, and Apple has tones of online video tutorials to get you started, and there are alot of mac users in photo/video forums like this.
Q4... there is mac virus software (clamx is free) you probably don't need it.
The Mac comes with a software bundle that would cost hundreds more for pc, and just works better.
You'll get ($99.00) photoshop elements for free with a ($119.00) wacom graphics tablet.
Aperture is Apples competing product for Adobe Lightroom, and is worth buying.
no other company (except maybe Harely Davidson) gets the kind of approval and loyalty and satisfaction ratings from it's customers as Apple. and no they aren't perfect.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 19/10/2008 - 12:41

SPB

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 16:36
mikew wrote:
ttk wrote:

But isn't the net and browsing where you'll get all the viruses etc? So if you have a sacrificial laptop for that then you have a free choice for the desktop?

I'd be curious to know how often the Mac users here have reinstalled their OS.

Mike

Not once in 4 years, including upgrading to Tiger, and all updates. Same with Linux, not reinstalled since installing Ubuntu. Just to add mine was second-hand a 450MhZ Powermac. I maxed the RAM, ripped out the DVD from my dead PC and have never looked back. The Powermacs are a breeze to work on internally, pull the side down, and the mother-board is laid out neatly and everything is reachable with ease. That's design at its best I found that a pleasure when I first got it. However, it is not every day one adds stuff! I will admit mine is a bit slow, especially for video editing from my camera. But it always finishes a task and does not crash! EVER. However I got MS Office 2008 recently and this does crash!!!!!! Fortunately, only Word or Excel crash, but the rest of the machine is fine. I just restart Word or Excel and carry on.

For graphics the Mac is super. For anyone who wants also simple stuff, web, email, letters, small spreadsheets - Mac is a breeze. For Linux people, OS X is underpinned by Unix, what you learn on Linux, transfers to OS X Terminal! Brilliant. MySQL databases can be backed up on OS X and Restored to a Linux laptop like EEE! Works perfectly.

Unlike on Windows, there is no need whatsoever to reinstall OS X or Linux on a regular basis, so I would say, relax get that Mac and be happy and productive.
Last Edited by SPB on 19/10/2008 - 16:48

nathanever82

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 17:03
I have been working on Pc for many year's and I have had a Macbook Pro for 3 years.

Mac is generally speaking superior to Pc; ll that regards professional photography, design, music, graphics, etc, is better, easier, faster, on a mac.

All the things that bother pc's are virtually non existent in macs, and with the purchase of mac support one is completely covered against anything that might come up.

Macs rarely go wrong, and are a pleasure to work with.

There are things that are not compatible with mac, or that at least are more complicated, but to go into detail would be madness. Mind you, software is not compatible with one another, so you will have to get specific software for mac.

If you have any specific question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Nathan
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

Braden106

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 17:21
I used to have a windows computer a few years back, and every six months or so, even with virus checkers, i'd still need to get my system wiped and set it up again... In the beginning of 2006, i was given a mac (through an online learning program) and i've had it ever since, the only problem i've had is that my sister screwed it up somehow, but it works perfectly, If you use msn messenger, you cant have voice conversations or webcams on, but i've never really had a problem with my emac.

The only con i can think of is that if it does happen to break down, i would need to take it to the apple store rather than call someone out from the yellow pages to get it fixed :/

I recommend one any day

Argee

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 17:22
They're definitely not crap! I had a long, hard look recently at the 24" IMac and I don't think I've seen a better display anywhere, or a better design concept for compactness.

However, there are several things that I've become accustomed to by having used PCs all the time (both work, mobile and home), which would be a real faff to make work with the IMac, so I didn't end up with one. Upgrading is very restricted (e.g., can only have one HDD, can only have one CD/DVD-ROM, no Lightscribe drive available) without external connections, which sort of defeats the object, really.

I know my requirements are specific, but for your requirements, providing software would seem to be necessary, otherwise it looks fine to me.

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).

nathanever82

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 17:34
Adaptability is not something we can discuss. Both systems are to be learnt, and in fact, mac is generally much simpler to use. (My dad has been working on mac since the early 90's, and just switched to Vista- He can't even turn it off...)

If you need extra drives, or hardware, you should look at the Mac Pro - the real working tool, rather than the pretty imac.

msn Chat does not work, but probably will soon, as they will certainly optimize the software. On the other hand, most mac have microphone and webcam already installed, and it works a treat. NOthing like the complicated nonsenses of headphones - mic - webcam - on a pc. Same applies with compatibility with, say, an external monitor. Everything can go wrong on a pc, it is unlikely that it will on a mac.
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

Tooks

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 17:51
Well, there's me here on my self built quad cored 22" screened Windows PC, which has never, ever, ever had a problem since installing Windows XP 3 years ago.

Then, there's my brother on his 24" imac who is a professional web designer, who has never, ever, ever had a problem in the 2 years he has had his latest one.

Mmmm....

To be honest, it's horses for courses. I prefer the Windows PC because I build my own stuff and upgrade it as and when I want, or need to.

My brother uses his imac professionally, and I think he finds it reassuring because all of the print/web/design houses use Macs too, so for him it's a default choice.

As for viruses etc, if you've got a decent anti-virus/spyware package, I don't think it's an issue any longer, and if you stay away from the 'warez' or other dodgy sites, I don't see how you'd get them.

With the installed user base of Windows PC's, you definately get more problems, but proportionally, I'm not sure if it's any more than Macs.

Mac viruses do exist, and they aren't magically immune to them. Also, upgrading a Mac is not really an option, which is why I prefer the PC.

The Macs look damn good though!!
Last Edited by Tooks on 19/10/2008 - 17:52

SPB

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 18:03
Tooks wrote:
Well, there's me here on my self built quad cored 22" screened Windows PC, which has never, ever, ever had a problem since installing Windows XP 3 years ago.

Then, there's my brother on his 24" imac who is a professional web designer, who has never, ever, ever had a problem in the 2 years he has had his latest one.

Mmmm....

To be honest, it's horses for courses. I prefer the Windows PC because I build my own stuff and upgrade it as and when I want, or need to.

My brother uses his imac professionally, and I think he finds it reassuring because all of the print/web/design houses use Macs too, so for him it's a default choice.

As for viruses etc, if you've got a decent anti-virus/spyware package, I don't think it's an issue any longer, and if you stay away from the 'warez' or other dodgy sites, I don't see how you'd get them.

With the installed user base of Windows PC's, you definately get more problems, but proportionally, I'm not sure if it's any more than Macs.

Mac viruses do exist, and they aren't magically immune to them. Also, upgrading a Mac is not really an option, which is why I prefer the PC.

What do you mean upgrading a Mac is not really an option? Any PCI card for example that fits a PC, fits and will work in a Mac, I took out of my PC before throwing it away, a DVD writer, a USB 2.0 PCI, a Firewire PCI and they exist and work flawlessly today 4 years later in my Mac, I have updated the OS to Tiger from Jaguar - not a single problem. Horses for courses. I prefer the Mac any day over a PC. However I also like very much Linux, and the non-graphical side .... terminal, MySQL, hundreds of useful commands. One very good example. In the GUI in OS X, I want to copy a file to one of the other users Desktops. In the GUI, I do not yet know how to do that. BUT, open a terminal enter a one-liner text command and boom, done. I learnt the command in Linux(mv) and all the other commands also work through the terminal on OS X.

mv /Users/user1/Desktop/IMGP2636.jpg /Users/user2/Desktop

Maybe one of the Mac experts can tell me how to that in the GUI????? It is so easy in the Terminal thanks to Unix

Argee

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 18:17
nathanever82 wrote:
Adaptability is not something we can discuss. Both systems are to be learnt, and in fact, mac is generally much simpler to use. (My dad has been working on mac since the early 90's, and just switched to Vista- He can't even turn it off...)

I said that the IMac was probably the machine for the OP - a positive comment. I said that I didn't get one because of my specific requirements. Your reply was straight on the defensive without bothering to read the post in context.

nathanever82 wrote:
If you need extra drives, or hardware, you should look at the Mac Pro - the real working tool, rather than the pretty imac.

Why should I look at something which is three times the price, when I can build a PC to my exact requirements?
nathanever82 wrote:
msn Chat does not work, but probably will soon, as they will certainly optimize the software. On the other hand, most mac have microphone and webcam already installed, and it works a treat. NOthing like the complicated nonsenses of headphones - mic - webcam - on a pc. Same applies with compatibility with, say, an external monitor.

What's complicated or nonsense about plugging in and switching on? That's all I had to do for my webcam. I get Skype video calls from a friend with an IMac and their picture quality, compared to mine, is rubbish, BTW.

nathanever82 wrote:
Everything can go wrong on a pc, it is unlikely that it will on a mac.

That's as convincing an argument as saying "Nah nah," but - again - typical of Mac "evangelists."

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).

Tooks

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 19:11
SPB wrote:
Tooks wrote:

Mmmm....

What do you mean upgrading a Mac is not really an option? Any PCI card for example that fits a PC, fits and will work in a Mac, I took out of my PC before throwing it away, a DVD writer, a USB 2.0 PCI, a Firewire PCI and they exist and work flawlessly today 4 years later in my Mac, I have updated the OS to Tiger from Jaguar - not a single problem. Horses for courses. I prefer the Mac any day over a PC. However I also like very much Linux, and the non-graphical side .... terminal, MySQL, hundreds of useful commands. One very good example. In the GUI in OS X, I want to copy a file to one of the other users Desktops. In the GUI, I do not yet know how to do that. BUT, open a terminal enter a one-liner text command and boom, done. I learnt the command in Linux(mv) and all the other commands also work through the terminal on OS X.

mv /Users/user1/Desktop/IMGP2636.jpg /Users/user2/Desktop

Maybe one of the Mac experts can tell me how to that in the GUI????? It is so easy in the Terminal thanks to Unix

Hold on a minute fella, calm down!!

We were talking about the iMac, as mentioned by the OP...

Yes, I'm familiar with the PowerMacs and they are much more upgradeable, although only a die hard mac fan boy would think that they can be as comprehensively upgraded and kept at the cutting edge of hardware performance as easily or cheaply as a PC. No, I'm not talking about obsolete PCI cards or peripherals here either...

The iMac is a different kettle of fish entirely though, and what can you change on one of those?

In a way, your post reinforces my comments that it's horses for courses and I'm pleased you are happy with whatever you're using.

I was saying that you can't really go wrong with either a Mac or Windows PC if we're being sensible, and if we're comparing like for like in hardware terms.

Macs are better at some things, whilst PC's are better at others, but either properly specified and configured format will do everything a photographer could possibly want to do.

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/10/2008 - 19:13
I actually prefer to use headphones when Skypeing - the whole world needn't hear my conversation. If I want others to join in then I put the speakers on instead.
I now have a Vista machine and have had no problems with it whatsoever, I am really happy with Vista, I actually prefer it to XP. Turning it off is not a problem either!
I would like a Mac - we had one back in the 80's btw, but I can't afford one and can get a PC which does all I want and more for a price I can afford. Currently using a Dell which was put together for me according to the bill payers recommendations. He has just got himself a Dell too, to his requirements. Two PCs plus a great new screen for me (it came best in a test in one of the photo mags recently) for less than the price of a Mac.

However, Terry, if you can afford a Mac, and don't mind having to get all new software for it also then maybe you should see if there is someone near you with one who will let you have a play, before committing to it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.