Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Will I have to pay extra for something from Japan?

Posted 22/07/2015 - 22:26 Link
I am thinking of buying a lens from Japan - will I incur extra costs when the item comes into the country?

The reviews look positive and it appears that other UK customers have had no quibbles

Any experiences most welcome!

QC
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
doingthebobs
Posted 22/07/2015 - 22:38 Link
Yep. There is tax to pay when it comes into UK. The carrier wants a handling fee as well!

Usually you have to pay before it is delivered. Not sure the rates but it can still be worth it as the Japanese second hand prices can be good.

I'm sure someone else will be along with better information soon.
Bob
Posted 23/07/2015 - 06:24 Link
Thanks Bob
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

andy_bell
Posted 23/07/2015 - 08:35 Link
Add 20% and you wont be far off...
if you search for Import tax calc you'll find a website where you can put in the country, destination, type of product and cost, then you can work out how much it will be.....
Or you could ask the seller to understate the value, risky if it gets lost as the insurance will only cover the value on the ticket......
A few bits & Bobs
Posted 23/07/2015 - 10:05 Link
cheers

steven9761
Posted 23/07/2015 - 10:43 Link
QC - import tax depends on the focal length of the lens. Based on the assumption that the lens is described as "Lens unit: having a focal length of 25 mm or more but not more than 150 mm,- consisting of glass or plastic lenses, with a diameter of 60 mm or more but not more than 190 mm", this should be categorized with the HMRC Tariff heading of 900211 00 50. Under this tariff, the import duty is levied at 6.7%. VAT is charged at standard rate, and expect to be charged an import admin fee of between £20-£30 on top. If you are importing via a reputable courier company, they most will most likely pre-clear it, and deliver to your door. Whoever the Japanese send it with, call the local office nearest to you and ask to speak to someone in the imports department. They should be able to advise what the likely add-on fees will be.
1stEverPentax
Posted 23/07/2015 - 12:13 Link
Useful information steven9761. Are telephoto lenses longer than 150mm taxed more punitively and if so what is the rationale behind this?

Does the HMRC provide an online listing of all relevant codes and tariffs for photographic equipment, particularly camera bodies and lenses and does the charge vary dependant on the region it originates from? For example is it a different rate to inport from Japan compared to South Korea or Australia or the US. It would be useful having access to this information from a single reference source.
andy_bell
Posted 23/07/2015 - 12:19 Link
Camera bodies attract no duty.....
when I imported a 400mm lens it appeared there was only one tariff range for photographic lenses, the ready reckoner was spot on, and that's what the duty was.....
A few bits & Bobs
andy_bell
Posted 23/07/2015 - 12:20 Link
A few bits & Bobs
Edited by andy_bell: 23/07/2015 - 12:21
steven9761
Posted 23/07/2015 - 12:38 Link
1stEverPentax - I used to work for a courier company near Heathrow, but I'm now back in Scotland, and no longer in the same line of work. I did make a point of taking note of my last employers' login info for the HMRC website, but I tend not to disclose these details in case it causes problems for that company.

If anybody asks me specific questions relating to imports, I can login and check, then post the replies.

On checking the Chapter Heading for lenses, it looks as though 6.7% is the "standard" rate of import duty. As far as I can see from the footnotes for CH.90 02, there are no preferential rates in place for the countries you mentioned.
1stEverPentax
Posted 23/07/2015 - 13:37 Link
Thanks Andy and Steve for your comments/info. I've bookmarked that link for future reference.

What I can't quite understand is the apparent secrecy about this info..almost as though the consumer shouldn't be allowed the information. Why not make it easy for anyone to access this info on an official government site rather than have to rely on third party sites which may or may not be up to date. It could prove an expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

Karlo
johnriley
Posted 23/07/2015 - 14:05 Link
It can also be expensive if people try to dodge by putting wrong info in. A faulty camera came back to me after an eBay sale and the send (from the USA) foolishly put it down as a gift. Duty was duly changed, although to be fair to HMRC when I sent in the evidence that it was exempt they did repay it. It just is a lot of messing about.
Best regards, John
steven9761
Posted 23/07/2015 - 18:14 Link
1stEverPentax wrote:
Thanks Andy and Steve for your comments/info. I've bookmarked that link for future reference.

What I can't quite understand is the apparent secrecy about this info..almost as though the consumer shouldn't be allowed the information. Why not make it easy for anyone to access this info on an official government site rather than have to rely on third party sites which may or may not be up to date. It could prove an expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

Karlo

I have the official link to the hmrc website, but it is for businesses only, most likely due to the fact that it is quite difficult for the novice to comprehend. Likewise, the IATA/ICAO Dangerous Goods By Air guidebook.

If any member needs info on import duty on anything, just PM me, and I'll do my best to help.
Edited by steven9761: 23/07/2015 - 18:14
fritzthedog
Posted 23/07/2015 - 19:03 Link
Not sure whether you are looking at a new or used lens. Worth mentioning if it is new it is worth checking out prices from Europe as there are some great deals out there at the moment due to the exchange rate and no import duties. I have just saved around £150 on importing one from Germany. Also worth checking one of the Hong Kong based sites that guarantee to cover any import duty or tax if charged - such as OneStop Digital who I have always found to be very good and when I was charged duty on a lens - they refunded it.

Regards
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.