"Why Pentax and not Nikon?"

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 19:10
My question is: if there was a collection of photographs laid out on a table taken with various cameras, would we be really able to tell which make had taken which photo, probably not so here endith the argument.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies

dougf8

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 19:18
I could tell by looking at the table.

If its a Formica/cheap veneer flap leaf table, mass produced, which hits your knees as you try to sit; Nikon.

If its a beautifully designed piece of furniture, reassuringly expensive, not made in a vast run, solid; Pentax.
Lurking is shirking.!

Anvh

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 19:32
noddywithoutbigears wrote:
My question is: if there was a collection of photographs laid out on a table taken with various cameras, would we be really able to tell which make had taken which photo, probably not so here endith the argument.

Straight out of the camera JPG and photos form the same object under the same lighting then yes you can see a difference.

You see a variation in colour, white balance, exposure and sharpness.

What you favour is a personal choice of course so no one is better.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 08/06/2010 - 19:34

Greytop

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 19:59
Dangermouse wrote:
What I have learned is not to take notice of a lot of advice. I've been told I should crank noise reduction up all the way (there must be some disadvantages, otherwise the camera would ship with it set to high?), or that I shouldn't buy old lenses because they're "not designed for digital", or that I shouldn't shoot JPG because it's "snapshots rather than Photography".

Personally I cannot care less. I'm getting results I'm happy with and they seem to get good reactions from other people too. If it looks right, it is. I'm not doing this to satisfy "the rules", it's supposed to be fun!

Couldn't agree more Matt, well put.

But I would add a strong plus for Pentax is the weather and dust resistance
Regards Huw

flickr

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 21:23
[Moved comment/pix to another thread]
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 08/06/2010 - 21:43

johnriley

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 21:32
You've got a point Dangermouse, but taken to extremes it's the same as taking all the advice.

The way I look at it is I listen, evaluate and make a decision, checking it out as appropriate. That's how I've learnt what I know now over a period of time. Sometimes I take things more at face value than others, depending on who provides the information.

For example, I always found Kevin MacDonnell to be very down to earth and sensible. I was more careful with Ron Spillman's advice, but much of it was sound. R G Mason I had little time for, despite working for a couple of years with his brother Cyril!
Best regards, John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 08/06/2010 - 23:24
Had a rather interesting one from a Nikon user today, which I wasn't able to answer. Hopefully someone here can! Does Pentax SR cope with tracking?

Apparently the Nikon VR has a tracking mode, I've yet to try tracking shots with my K-m so obviously I'm not sure if this is something that Pentax gear just deals with?

I suspect it does as we seem to have a lot less trouble in getting the camera to do what we want than users of some other systems. The same chap was about to send his Nikon full frame body off for a 200 sensor clean and looked rather wistful when I said that current Pentax sensors are pretty much self-cleaning, with a rocket blower covering for situations where the sensor shaker doesn't clear it!

Regarding advice, it does come down to reading around. There's no single correct way to do most things aside from basics like depth of field and which lenses are worth owning. I know I have two which suffer from lousy reviews on the other site but are actually very decent.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Last Edited by Dangermouse on 08/06/2010 - 23:29

whelmed

Link Posted 09/06/2010 - 02:16
Re the don't take JPG pictures. That really depends. I find the JPG engine on the K10d to not be that great. On all the following Pentax dSLR's it's pretty stellar though!
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8

Anvh

Link Posted 09/06/2010 - 13:02
Dangermouse wrote:
Had a rather interesting one from a Nikon user today, which I wasn't able to answer. Hopefully someone here can! Does Pentax SR cope with tracking?

As far as I know no but I never had any problems with panning with SR on

Btw you could ask does your VR compensate for tilt
That's something they can never get done with lens based SR
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.