"Why Pentax and not Nikon?"

whelmed

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:29
Well there is a Mac Vs. PC debate.

Also: BMW / Merc / Audi would be similar to Canon/Nikon/Pentax with Audi offering more things for the money, but the other two having more wow factor.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8

K10D

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:33
I always thought that the MAC was king?

I don't own one by the way.

Regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

doingthebobs

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:41
Is it just that your particular 'Nikon man' needed to be reassured that he had chosen the 'best' gear as this was important to him?.

I think in most walks of life some people want to conform all the time and expect everyone else to do the same! Your 'Nikon man' was just one of these. I have a friend who complains about which end I open a banana from! Why it upsets him I do not know but he seems to think that I should do what he does and is , strangely, affronted when I don't.

I think that people have different reasons to take up photography. Some do it because they want to make a picture, some because they enjoy the technical aspects, some will enjoy handling the kit. Some strive to have the 'best' kit but think that everyone else should conform to their ideas. Strange but it's not just photography!
Bob

whelmed

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:10
Hrm, I just had a flashback from your post there Bob and it got me thinking. I remember about 10 years ago being mocked because I with to a 'lesser' University for Electrical Engineering. I went because they offered a scholarship and I'm not 'from money'. The few people I knew / met who went to the 'better' school often stated that they were smarter / better than me for going there and would enquire why I would go to the 'other' school if I was actually intelligent.

When doing my masters degree, at the same school, and after getting my research published and a patent it happened again. An undergraduate student from the 'better' University found out that I was at the 'lesser' school. It didn't matter that I was the one in charge of the project, he thought he was superior to me after 1 year of undergraduate training. I was working in a lab associated with their prestigious University.

Finally, before coming to UK for my Doctorate in Engineering Science, I was told by someone I had recently met that their undergraduate university rated higher in Engineering so they were smarter than me and that no matter what I did now I would never make up for the difference in our Undergraduate institutions. Yes, someone said this. And yes, this is someone from the same school again (University of Toronto should anyone care to know).

People really seem to have a need to associate themselves with brand names in order to feel special.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8

TOZZA27

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:13
I have to say that I became a Pentax fanatic after a good friend said he was selling his kit and would I like to buy it for my Daughter`s 18th ?
She had mumbled in a teenage way about wanting to try photography and I knew she didn`t want me to give her my disc camera !

He opened the bag and there was a Pentax ES with a 55mm F2 and a 200mm Miranda - how much I asked ? - give me 25 he replied ( 1988 )...........the rest is history as they say.We still have the camera and the lenses and I was smitten , going on to get my own SP1000 and the rest over the next 22 years.

I did weaken back in `94 when a friend let me hold his Ni*on - it seemed very heavy and complicated - I think it was an F4 with battery pack - then he told me the price !!

Pure coincidence then - but what a happy one..................

Regards

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:17
doingthebobs wrote:
I have a friend who complains about which end I open a banana from! Why it upsets him I do not know but he seems to think that I should do what he does and is , strangely, affronted when I don't.

How on earth do you open a banana from the "other" end (the one without the stalk)? You'd need a knife to get into it as opposed to just using the stalk as a handle to break the skin!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Shaky

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:30
doingthebobs wrote:
I think in most walks of life some people want to conform all the time and expect everyone else to do the same! Your 'Nikon man' was just one of these. I have a friend who complains about which end I open a banana from! Why it upsets him I do not know but he seems to think that I should do what he does and is , strangely, affronted when I don't.

Quote:

Fanboyism and Brand Loyalty

The Misconception: We prefer the things we own over the things we don't because we made rational choices when we bought them. The Truth?

The truth is that you prefer the things you own because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self.

. . .brand loyalty that nebulous emotional connection people have with certain companies which turns them into defenders and advocates for corporations who don't give a shit.

Full story at Gizmodo

whelmed

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:35
Dangermouse wrote:

How on earth do you open a banana from the "other" end (the one without the stalk)? You'd need a knife to get into it as opposed to just using the stalk as a handle to break the skin!

They do it the way that apes do it, by pinching it.

Mongoose

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:45
K10D wrote:
With fencing and shooting, the results are instant. The person who says this is better or I use what is considered to be the best has to prove their ability there and then.

Not so with photography. Same happens with HiFi etc. Easy to talk the talk where you don't have to prove or show immediate results.

Regards

True, with a sword the answer "if mine's so inferior, how did I hit you?" usually works quite well.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Anvh

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 16:54
whelmed wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:

They do it the way that apes do it, by pinching it.

Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

dougf8

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:42
doingthebobs wrote:
I have a friend who complains about which end I open a banana from! Why it upsets him I do not know but he seems to think that I should do what he does and is , strangely, affronted when I don't.

Excellent! Opening a banana from the wrong end and using a Pentax.

Oh joy, I get to open clementines like an elephant next.

What a sheltered life I lead.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 06/06/2010 - 17:46

dougf8

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:44
whelmed wrote:
"They" do it the way that apes do it by pinching it.

So which species are you?
Lurking is shirking.!

Father Ted

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 21:05
D'you know? I just have to go and get a banana now

This brand snobbery does seem limited to photography, in my experience. I shoot archery and whilst people will show an interest in equipment, no-one is ever criticised for their choice of bow, or brand of arrows etc.

Yet I've been asked why Pentax in work.
My answer was simple...it was the only camera which came up on ebay, that I could afford. That's how I got my MESuper. I got the istDL for a similar reason, but in this case I was already watching out for Pentax. However, if a Canon had come up for the right price, I would probably have made a big mistake
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

fatspider

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 21:23
Quote:
That was the question I was asked today whilst taking a few shots. The guy, a Nikon user, seemed perplexed that I hadn't purchased a Nikon

I'd have looked him square in the eye and with a quizical expression asked "thats funny I was about to ask you why you didn't buy Pentax"

Quote:
Mike, weather sealing is good the sun won't get through the joints

Now thats not fair Jack, you dont have to rub it in.
PS when was the last ime you built a snowman
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 21:41
What I have learned is not to take notice of a lot of advice. I've been told I should crank noise reduction up all the way (there must be some disadvantages, otherwise the camera would ship with it set to high?), or that I shouldn't buy old lenses because they're "not designed for digital", or that I shouldn't shoot JPG because it's "snapshots rather than Photography".

Personally I cannot care less. I'm getting results I'm happy with and they seem to get good reactions from other people too. If it looks right, it is. I'm not doing this to satisfy "the rules", it's supposed to be fun!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.