Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Why is red a fast colour?

K10D
Posted 04/03/2024 - 10:26 Link
A Ferrari may come to mind as an example.

Both taken at RAF Barkston Heath. *istD, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO

This little missile is very fast and very very noisy, generally in excess of 120 dB when on full song.

Comment Image

This is nowhere near as fast or noisy. My transport that day. A somewhat subdued machine by comparison and somewhat more useable.

Comment Image

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
walkeja
Posted 04/03/2024 - 11:06 Link
Because it is the best colour for a car, it makes it look fast, hence the Red Arrows, and the best teams wear red. Red teams have won the English top flight leagues as well.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Posted 04/03/2024 - 11:17 Link
Two great images of technology from widely different ages. The control line speed model aircraft is powered by a HobbyKing 'Red Head' gasoline fired pulse jet engine and yup, they made a helluva noise. I have a vague recollection of seeing a rather primitive version of a pulse-jet powered model back in the late 1950's, when I was a keen aeromodeller.
Sadly, my motorcycle interest waned after I sold my Triumph Thunderbird in 1965 but the design and mechanics of modern machines still fascinate me.
kea828
Posted 05/03/2024 - 15:54 Link
Why is red a fast colour?

I'm not sure why (or whether) there is a general association of the colour red with speed (or perceived speed), but I do know why red is associated with Ferraris.

In the early 20th century (pre-dating Formula 1 by some time), an intenational racing competition was set up in which various manufacturers represented their own countries in the tournament. The cars of each country had a specific colour:-
- Italian cars (mainly Maserati, Alfa Romeo, & Ferrari) were red,
- French cars (mainly Bugatti) were light blue,
- American cars were white, and
- British cars (e.g. Bentley) were green.

Hence the colour 'British Racing Green'. This colour was also used in the 1950s & 1960s by the succesful Vanwall and Jaguar racing teams, and has been been a popular colour for British made, sporty road cars for some time, e.g. MG, Triumph, & Jaguar.

I read separately** that British speed cops used to play 'snooker' with each other, i.e. stop a red car, then a blue car, a red car, a green car, a red car, a black car ... etc., with the cops gaining the associated snooker points scores. Of course this may well be be an urban legend, but if not, it could explain why there are stats. showing that red cars are more likely to speed, and (possbly by inference) why red cars attract higher insurance premiums.

(** This was at least a couple of decades ago so, even if was true then, things may be different now.)
Regards,
Kea828
Edited by kea828: 05/03/2024 - 16:00

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.